Guilty pleasures, care to share?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by JanewayRulz!, Jan 15, 2011.

1. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

I've noted in the review threads, people admitting that some episode recently trashed was "a fav" or a "guilty" pleasure.

Do you have one you care to share.

ESPECIALLY if its one bound to show up on someone else's "worst" list?

I do. :techman:

Season 6's "Muse"... the one where B'Elanna and Harry are lost on a shuttle mission, and Voyager is searching long after their oxygen was expected to run out. The two are separated, and end up on a class L planet... one with people at the "Xena Warrior Princes" stage of developement, rather than the warp capable 24th century earth. :klingon:

This exchange between the playwright and B'Elanna (his muse) pretty much sums up what I like about it.

KELIS: Anger is like fire. Love can be the rain that extinguishes it. My patron is filled with hatred for his rival so our play should be filled with love.
    TORRES: You can't change somebody's way of life with a few lines of dialogue.

KELIS: Yes, you can. It's been done before. Do you know what this place used to be A hundred years ago? A temple, and this was the altar stone. Every year a victim would be sacrificed on it in honour of winter. And then, one year, nobody remembers exactly when or why, a play took the place of the ritual and no one had to die here again. Why can't my play take the place of a war?
    TORRES: Well, you're going to have to do a lot better than Harry Kim kissing the Delaney sisters.

KELIS: Why?
    TORRES: Because when you think that you are surrounded by enemies, when you're up against the Borg, or, or Species 8472, the last thing on your mind is romance.
    KELIS: You're an Eternal. You have to help me.
    TORRES: I'm sorry, Kelis.

KELIS: The Borg. Tell me more about them.
    TORRES: They're soldiers, part of a vast army. They all think the same thoughts, and they travel on ships that look like hives.
    KELIS: Like insect colonies.
    TORRES: They even have a queen.

KELIS: That sounds terrifying. Captain Janeway hasn't been able to destroy them?
    TORRES: She is a Starfleet officer, trained to avoid violence whenever possible.She would make peace with the Borg if she could!
    KELIS: This is what I need! An enemy, someone to stand in the way of Voyager finding B'Elanna Torres. Captain Janeway, driven by vengeance, must seek out the Queen of the Borg. The audience thinks she plans to destroy them all, but...

TORRES: Go on.
    KELIS: The Sudden Reversal! Captain Janeway, holding her spear at the queen's throat, throws her weapon aside and she argues passionately to put an end to their conflict in words no one will fail to understand.
    TORRES: Including your patron? That's much better than all that kissing.

(B'Elanna, my love, YOU should TALK!" :guffaw:)

I also love how... B'Elanna really came through for him in the end in the outdoor theater.

CHORUS: Finally, Voyager has reached our shores.
    TORRES: (Runs on the stage, pulling Kelis by the hand) And not a moment too soon. Kelis the poet must say goodbye as B'Elanna Torres returns to the Eternals in a dazzling blaze of light.
    CHORUS 3: (Flabbergasted/tries to cover for the bold statement) On a far-away, snow-covered peak?
    TORRES: No, right here before your eyes.
    LAYNA: Wait! She's not from across the Eastern Sea. She's an Eternal! I'm telling you she's B'Elanna Torres. The real B'Elanna Torres! I saw her ship.
    CHORUS 1: (Again, chorus intervenes to cover for the star's accusations) The lead actress, in a fit of jealousy, brands her rival an Eternal. Our patron rises to his feet to stop the play.
    AUTARCH: (Stops and checks himself, quickly realizing he's being played...) Nicely done. I almost believed you. Continue.
    KELIS: (To B'Elanna, heart on his sleeve) Stay.
    TORRES: (Tenderly) Voyager needs me.
    KELIS: So do I.
    TORRES: No, you don't. You have all that you need right here.
    KELIS: I'll be inspired every time I think of you.
    TORRES: (Smiles, and steps back ) One to beam, to ascend to the heavens. (transports away to the ohhhs and ahhhs of the crowd)
    CHORUS 1: And so ends the rescue of B'Elanna Torres, half-Klingon. B'Elanna Torres, half-human. B'Elanna Torres, Chief Engineer.
    KELIS: These stories will continue for as long as we have the breath to tell them, and as long as our patrons remain wise and compassionate. And Voyager will continue on her journey to the gleaming cities of Earth where peace reigns, and hatred has no home.

:sigh:

2. froot

froot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Guarding the Compound with the Grey Wardens
    JR, I feel the same way about Muse. I was just watching Muse the other day, actually. :) I really, really, really like this episode. I am a sucker for fantasy settings and ancient civilizations mixed in with the "high technology" of sci-fi.

For example, I loved the candles in the Delta Flyer. I thought that was so cool. :) And I love that they made the Voyager story into a play and acted it out on a stone stage in cloaks and masks. I also enjoy Blink of an Eye for the same reason - "Sky Ship Friends" was so sweet.

"And Voyager will continue on her journey to the gleaming cities of Earth where peace reigns, and hatred has no home."
    ^ That's straight up one of my favorite lines in the series.

My guilty episode is probably Threshold, just because I remember how much fun I had watching it as a little squirt. It's just too funny and silly. Tom's "PEPPERONI!" line is great. I just tell myself it never really happened and kicked it out of canon in my own head.

EDIT: Okay, I admit it - I liked the tease of the J/C "kiss" in Muse, too.

3. SRFX

SRFX Captain Captain

Twisted and Scientific Method. They're both ass-backwards stupid episodes but they're fun to watch in my opinion. I think I've watched those two more than most Voyager episodes.

4. HoneyBLilly

HoneyBLilly Commodore Commodore

Guilty pleasure . . . . Guilty pleasure . . . . . Hmmmmm . . . .

I agree with froot, Threshold is a horrible episode but it is funny. And let's see . . . .

Human Error, don't shoot me I would never ever put Chakotay and Seven together, but it's a good episode for Seven, just not when she has her tubules into Chakotay. I like it because it advances Seven's humanization, but then backs it up because of the de-emotion chip she has.

5. JanewayRulz!

I don't know which I liked more, the kiss or B'Elanna's REACTION to the kiss!

I hate to say it, but I love the hand holding scene between B'Elanna and Chakotay at the end of "Twisted".

As for ScM? AWESOME! "Shall I flogg them as well?"

Agree. I hate that by season end the EMH required barely half an hour to the de-emotion breaker/chip remove it.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  6. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    I love Muse. I didn't know that was considered guilty pleasure.

7. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I don't know what episodes people think are bad. I haven't been on the Voyager form too long and I really haven't spoken to too many other voyager fans.

I really like Flashback and Blink of an Eye and I have heard some fans complain about those episodes.

8. vas2009

vas2009 Captain Captain

Fair Haven and Spirit folk back to back Love the irish bartender. I think these eps are fantastic and hilarious. Have to watch them together to get it all out of my system.

Agree with Muse and Threshold.

Scientific Method- never thought of it as guilty pleasure but I totally love this one. LoveJaneway and Tuvok in this episode.

9. CommanderRaytas

Yeah, the bartender is cool.

10. Pemmer Harge

Pemmer Harge Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh, Muse. I love the whole "Seven of Nine is secretly the Borg Queen" thing, thought it was hilarious. I don't really see it as a bad episode, though, just mediocre.

11. Lrrr

Lrrr Ensign Red Shirt

I Loved "In the Blink of an Eye". It is definitely one of my top favorite Voyager episodes.

12. dooky

dooky Ensign Newbie

Heh, I kind of view Voyager as a whole as a guilty pleasure. In terms of specific episodes, though, my opinions tend to follow the consensus (unlike with DS9, where I'm fond of universally loathed episodes like Profit and Lace and Let He Who is Without Sin). Hmm... I'll echo Scientific Method - which had a really fun central premise - and also add Night. Honestly, I just like any episode that gives Janeway the opportunity to be genuinely crazy.

13. TedShatner10

TedShatner10 Commodore Commodore

Yeah, I've got a thing for "Scientific Method" as well.

14. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really like Threshold especially the parts where Tom Paris is getting transformed. It's so cheesey I love it. When his tongue falls out I lose it.

I forget the name of it but it's the episode where Janeway goes around the ship fighting a giant virus thingies. Kate Mulgrew running around in the tight grey shirt doing her Ripley impersonation just rocks my world.

15. sevenstars

sevenstars Captain Captain

Threshold. And I don't feel a bit guilty about it.

16. SRFX

SRFX Captain Captain

Macrocosm, season 3.

17. CommanderRaytas

I don't feel guilty about any Voyager episode I like. I know what guilty pleasure is - I own a Backstreet Boys cd - but regarding Star Trek? Nope. No guilty pleasure.

18. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

Same here. Order up a pepperoni pizza and watch it with someone you love. :)

19. JanewayRulz!

:beer:

Just don't barf when his tongue falls out!

:barf:

I love the end of Threshold...and suspect that's where the "guilt" lies...

"I've always considered having children one day. I just never considered having them with you."

:devil:

As for Macrocosm... that's pure pleasure through and through!

"I may never put my hands on my hips again."

:drool:

20. vas2009

vas2009 Captain Captain

Macrocosm... no Guilt with that one it is pure pleasure and pure Genius.

Writing room: Lets have Kate Mulgrew strip down... in a five minute segment, get all sweaty and march around Voyager with a gun... a big gun... race against the clock to save her ship and crew...then it will end with a "BANG".

Fantastic!