The First Poster for INTO DARKNESS Has Just Been Revealed...

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by cooleddie74, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The new one's a fan-made poster too. On the left you can see a watermark that says "CRQSF DEVIANTART.COM," which is the artist's signature. Here's the original on the artist's deviantART page.

2. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

They've used just about all of the monologue for episode or movie titles at some point.

Space, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the Star Ship Enterprise. It's continuing mission: To explore strange new worlds. To seek out new life and new civilisations. To boldly go where no one has gone before.

Things used in titles highlighted. "The Continuing Mission" is just about the only part they haven't used that would make a decent titles. Star Trek: New Life or Star Trek: New Civilisations doesn't quite have the same ring to it...

3. Christopher

^There was an ENT episode called "Civilization."

I think Star Trek: To Boldly Go could work as a title. And New Life could be cool in the right context. (My cancelled ST novel set in the Abramsverse was called Seek a Newer World, which is a line from Tennyson's "Ulysses" but was meant to evoke the opening monologue.)

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I like that quite a bit, and honestly, I think I like the title "Into Darkness" all by itself with the "Star Trek" in the front.

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I think they should've just called it Into Darkness while attaching Trek imagery.

6. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I believe those tags are automatically appended by the Flickr sharing function. Then again, it's my understanding that Flickr was intended solely to be a repository of images (as original photographs) which have been created by the account-holder; thus, the tags would reflect this purpose. (The Terms of Service on a Flickr Pro account may differ in some aspects from the free version, however, so I'm not 100% certain.)

7. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

What if the title card simply shows Star Trek above Into Darkness (no colon) the way some (maybe all) the TNG films did? I never read those as one sentence and, in fact, I presumed that's how it would appear when I learned of the new film's title (until a number of posters started fretting over its clumsiness as a sentence).

Just my 2 cents.

8. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Sorry, it's the automated way Flickr produces the code. Flickr assumes anything stored on Flickr was created by the owner of the storage space.

I can usually manually change it, but I was posting in haste on a laptop about to run out of battery power. I was going to link to the Facebook page, but I figured someone would object to that.

EDIT: No, it's past the window of opportunity to edit the title so I've removed it. Better to have people go to "CRQSF DEVIANTART.COM". Thanks Christopher, I couldn't get the image to expand enough to see the watermark.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  9. Bigman1982

Bigman1982 Cadet Newbie

10. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    ^

Nope, but I think this one's fake too. It would be very cool indeed if this were the real deal because that looks like the Botany Bay adrift in front of the Enterprise and it would finally confirm the presence of Khan and his Augments in the new film, but after that first poster led a lot of people astray I'm very cautious about any new images.

Until we get official confirmation from Paramount and the official website I'll just assume they're all clever fan-made art.

11. Christopher

It's a fake. Look at the credits -- they're the credits from the first movie, including Eric Bana and Leonard Nimoy, as well as production partner Spyglass Entertainment, which isn't involved with the sequel. Also no screenplay credit for Lindelof.

12. cooleddie74

Yep, you're correct. Oh well, it's still nice to look at.

The ACTUAL poster should be surfacing soon, at least based on what people have been saying.

13. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

And that makes it a fake?

Well, okay, yes, I guess it would.

14. Christopher

Well, there's also the fact that the image quality on the three faces suggests they come from different sources, and that the Enterprise looks kind of like a toy.

15. Bigman1982

Bigman1982 Cadet Newbie

could someone quote the picture for me? It's not showing up for me.

If it was just a workprint or something, would all the credits be correct yet?

16. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I doubt it's a workprint. Looks like fan art, done using the credits from the last movie, some headshots and [ENT-vintage] spacesuit pics spliced together in Photoshop, with the Enterprise pasted in and... is that one of the robots from "Requiem for Methuselah"?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  17. cooleddie74

It's supposed to be the Botany Bay. I guess. Looks an awful lot like the CGI Botany Bay from the Remastered "Space Seed."

18. Christopher

Since we're talking about the first teaser poster, I doubt there would be any credits at all on the real one. The early teaser posters for the 2009 movie didn't have credits, just the release date, the website address, and the corporate indicia. This site has them in chronological release order, and there were fifteen teaser posters released before we got one with credits on it.

So at this early stage, any poster you see that has credits at all is probably a mashup by a fan who's getting ahead of the curve.

19. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

I can tell it's fan-made, but whoever did it did a nice job! :)

20. Killer1021a

Killer1021a Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Definitely interesting looking, I like the idea though