How is Janeway sexy?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by F. King Daniel, Dec 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

We are very lucky here in Australia because though we are always moaning about not having big events like Comic Con, not getting varying bands to come play here, not being able to buy 1/100th the stuff you can get in the US.. when we DO have something it is often small and lovely. The con has a maximum of 200 attendees in one room. There are no bad seats even if you are the back. I was in the middle of the middle which means I was about 5 rows from the front.

I have a lot to tell you!!!!

But first..

In this photo Kate is talking about Endgame and how emotional it was to be filming the final episode. She is showing how Janeway reached down to stroke Tuvok's head when he was in the hospital debilitated with senility. She actually choked up talking about this.

[​IMG]

Secondly, I should add that this Convention included a Vulcan!

[​IMG]

Possum this is for you.. at the lunch when Tim Russ came and sat at our table people tried to talk to him about tv shows. He said he didn't watch fiction, he had only watched documentaries for years, he LOVES documentaries and watches them all the time. But then he did say there was one fiction show he did watch and that was.. DR. WHO. So of course I asked him if there was any chance he could be on an episode of Dr. Who. He said that the union stuff meant that they would have to fly him to the UK first class and other expensive things and for one episode they might not want to import him but that if they asked he would love to be on it.

2. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

teacake Great photos. :)

3. teacake

And now I will give you all some of the great moments..

Firstly I have to say Kate is BEAUTIFUL, incredibly charismatic, WARM and charming. She would stand out anywhere, she is truly amazing. The convention LOVED her, when she gave her talk she was hilarious, dramatic, enchanting, engaging. Everyone was ENTHRALLED.

Story 1 in which Kate gives teacake a wonderful gift

When I went for the photo with her I had my two children who came with me.. she was pleased with this, we had a little talk about some personal things about my family and she held up her hand and said "STOP EVERYTHING.. I want to applaud this woman!" And she did!!! And THEN after the pic with the kids she said, "lets have one of just us, this photo is on me!" So I had a photo with just Kate courtesy of Kate!!

Story 2 in which teacake dines with Kate

The luncheon was set up in the VIP room, it was very meh food wise, a buffet. Tim and Kate (I hope they ate something else..) took turns sitting at each table. When Kate sat at my table, with about 7 people on it a couple people gave her gifts, which had not occurred to me, lol. They were Australian souvenir type things. One woman had just seen her in Vegas and and asked her if she would come to the Gold Coast where she lived (two states up from me, in Queensland). Kate asked this woman for her email address so she could email her when she was coming!!!!!!! She talked mostly about everything she had done in Melbourne. She had arrived on Wednesday, the con was on Saturday, so she had several days to herself. She said she loved it, she went to a few markets, the Cathedral, a day spa and an antiquarian book shop where she was given tea and got to look at books a couple hundred years old and bought several. She raved about the city which IME most guests do but since she had actually just spent several days here I am sure it was sincere and not in the least bit patter.

After she left our table the lunch wound down and most people left but then I realized she was at the table next to me which only had a few people left on it so of course I went and sat NEXT TO HER to hear some more. She was very amusing. A very nice fellow told her he was going to Salt Lake City next year for university and they talked about how great the scenery is in Utah.. and then she said to him, "But it's dry there you know, you can't get a drink, the mormons have seen to that. You're not mormon are you?" And he said, "Yes I am" which was hilariously embarrassing, but he thought it was funny. She asked him if he was a polygamist which he also thought was funny.. she is so charming and witty that you just love everything she says.

While she was at this table one of the convention peeps asked her if he could get her anything.. she said.. "Well actually.." and whispered something to him. Shortly afterwards a drink arrived, a drink which looked exactly like a Gin Rickey. Now maybe this was just soda water and lime, but I DO NOT THINK SO especially as there was no wine or anything at the lunch (phooey on that) and it was certainly the perfect time to have a drink in that setting.

Story 3, in which teacake asks a question

Kate's talk was in the afternoon and as I said above she was wonderful, the best con speaker ever, absolutely enthralling. I intended to ask her about Janeway and women etc.. but she launched into that topic and it infused everything she said! So when it was question time I got to stand up and ask, "When can we expect your autobiography?" She seemed very pleased with this! She said she has a contract and is writing a book now, maybe it will be done in about 8 months.. very hard to write. She said it was about a person that she had a very "mysterious" and I think she said "powerful" and "personal" journey with, her relationship with that person. My son filmed this bit and I will transcribe what she said exactly if I it came out clearly enough. She thanked me for asking her.

Someone else asked her about when 7 of 9 came onto the show, he phrased it.."and we always heard rumors about how you didn't like this, I didn't know what what to believe but I didn't think I believed it.." and she was quite obviously irritated. She paced back and forth and said NOTHING for a bit and then said to him, "well I think you DID believe it because I don't think you would be asking this question if you didn't". She went on to say that the sexing up was a huge disappointment to her after she fought for Janeway not being sexed up and NOT sleeping with Chakotay but just being a woman in a command role. She also said that this issue had nothing to do with Jeri Ryan herself and that the show then went on to develop a really wonderful character out of 7.

She told all the meeting Clinton stories, talked about how her boys hated her being on Voyager and was very friendly and huggy with Tim Russ when he came out.

EVERYTHING WAS WONDERFUL.

[​IMG]

4. teacake

Oh and she also made some jokes about Fair Haven! Talked about Janeway gets one shot at programming her perfect man and they give her a "perfectly nice BUT.." fellow. Said she said to the producers, he needs to be 6'6 tall! He needs to come in on a horse! She wanted to plan him out herself but they wouldn't let her, lol.

[​IMG]

btw her hair is absolutely amazing. It's a beautiful vivid natural color, and she pushed it back dramatically with her hands all the time. It always looks wonderful, very thick and very gorgeous.

5. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

teacake I am jealous I would love to have an experience like this one day. :)

I actually can see her point with this...but I am glad Seven Of Nine turned out to be such a great character...it really could have been alot worse. Jeri Was a fantastic choice for Seven. :)

I am glad you had a great time. :bolian:

6. teacake

I certainly agree Jetfire and I have always understood that initial hatred of 7 as being the sexy borg (which, really, is a dumb thing anyway) thrown into this great tv show because it needed boobs. However I cannot see how anyone could go on to watch even a few episodes and not see that what we had was an incredibly complex and sympathetic character who personalized all the pain and horror and bizarreness of what the Borg had done to thousands of worlds.

[​IMG]

7. teacake

[​IMG]

We also had a Q and A session with Leonard Nimoy on Skype, not as clear as the Frakes skype last time but fun.

Kate and Tim flew to Sydney last night and are at a con there now.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  8. HoneyBLilly

HoneyBLilly Commodore Commodore

Teacake it sounds like it was great. She seems great. I loved her response to the Jeri Ryan question.

And 8 months, plus publication time . . . so that would put it somewhere around, maybe, 12 months from now. :D

I'm so happy for you

9. teacake

[​IMG]

GREATNESS WAS UPON US ALL.

10. AuntKate

AuntKate Commodore Commodore

This sounds just wonderful, Teacake. Kate is my favorite Trek celebrity. She is a wonderful speaker and connects with the audience every time. There is nothing better than a small intimate con like the one you attended.

Keep posting pictures! They are awesome!

11. HoneyBLilly

As was beauty!

12. teacake

[​IMG]

Beauty you say?

YES BEAUTY! And much waving of the hands! Which, by the way, are thin and gentle feeling. Yes, I held one of them. Yes. Yes. Yes.

13. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

And teacake... THIS is why we love you!

You were honest, gracious, observant, proactive AND you were rewarded with a fabulous con experience you not only shared with your kids but with us.

We are not worthy.

Although I agree..

KATE is!

:bolian:

14. teacake

Thank you for your kind words JRulz.. I am sure Kate would say we are ALL worthy.

(Except maybe the person who irritated her.. LOL)

15. HoneyBLilly

Her hands look so lovely. :adore:

You are awesome teacake, and we are so not worthy. :D

However, how long did it take you to wash the hand? :lol:

16. froot

froot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Guarding the Compound with the Grey Wardens
    NOOOO DO NOT WASH THE HAND!

Teacake, first off, congrats on bringing your kids along for the ride :) I hope they had fun too! Also, what a great story! Thanks for sharing. How wonderful you got so many chances to chat and listen. Also, love the story about getting your pic taken. You got applauded! Fantastico!

I remember her talking about it in The Captains, but it really is a shame KM's boys so deeply resented her being away so much. :( I think it gives some pretty good insight onto why she almost bailed out of the show mid-way.

17. Sadara

Sadara Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Kate spoke a bit at the Las Vegas con about how her boys resented her being gone so much. If I remember right they were pretty young when she started Voyager so I can kind of see how they'd feel that way because actors and actresses work long, long days.

One person came up to the mic and thanked her sons for their sacrifice to which Kate responded that they made no sacrifice. She chose to do Voyager and one of the most important things she's learned is to go through life unapologetically because life is brief enough.

I'm paraphrasing here of course, but she also said that she hoped someday they'd understand why she was gone so much and what she was trying to accomplish. That was echoed by a woman who came to the mic and said that it was more important for kids to see their mothers making a difference than making supper and Kate thought that was awesome.

What I really noticed at the convention was many female Trek fans really respond to people like Kate Mulgrew and Nichelle Nichols because of the strong female role models they played on Star Trek.

18. JanewayRulz!

Nichelle Nichols was a GREAT influence upon me growing up, and I speak from a gender perspective. I'm so glad Martin Luther King Jr. got her to see "reason" and stay with the show despite her impression that she had so little to "do" on it.

Just BEING there, Nichelle, BEING there as an officer helped open MY eyes! :bolian:

Thank-you.

19. AuntKate

AuntKate Commodore Commodore

This is what irritates me so much about the way the books have taken Janeway out of the Voyager relaunch. Why do that? Don't they understand that Janeway is an icon for the female readers. Let the male fans have TOS, TNG, DS9, ENT. Let the women enjoy reading about Trek's most powerful and admirable women. That's what we want!

It looks like Kate was having a great time. Wish I could have seen her!

20. JanewayRulz!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.