New JJ Abrams interview

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by SalvorHardin, Dec 12, 2012.

1. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hey, The Enemy Within is a great episode! Apart from the inappropriate joke at the end.

Spock: You nearly got raped! Ha.

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Every new version of Star Trek has "split the fandom." As long as the new thing is successful - like TNG, or Abrams's movies - it doesn't matter. The complainers eventually get tired of complaining and go away. After a while, some of them get into the new thing.

In 1986-89 you couldn't throw a stick in the hallway of a Trek convention without hitting some goober wearing a "Trek Classic - Who Needs Another Generation?" teeshirt.

And never mind the squealing that went on, on usenet and Compuserve. Paramount clearly didn't know what they were doing, alienating the folks who'd written letters to keep TOS on the air. :lol:

That a few vocal trekkies on the Internet don't like the new movies. They're on the wrong side of history, as usual. ;)

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's a huge decline in intelligent storytelling between "The Cage" and "Where No Man Has Gone Before."

Which saved Star Trek. :lol:

4. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

The "light entertainment" aspect of it is probably why it's still one of the most popular TV shows of all time. Remember, The Trouble with Tribbles is considered one of the (if not The) most popular episodes of TOS.

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Saying a film isn't just for a clique of uberfans isn't sniping. Season four of Enterprise was for Star Trek fans. Without a grasp of the other series, not much made sense. The majority of Trek is as much for everyone as Into Darkness.
    Watch BBC's Sherlock and see what an amazing actor Benedict Cumberbatch is.

Nero was a thug with an invincible ship and a grudge against Spock. Harrison's a homegrown terrorist with a grudge against.... ? Earth? Qo'nos? Kirk? We don't even know that yet.

6. DalekJim

Strongly disagree. I think the first Abrams film will be looked back on as goofy and dumb, in the same way the first Sam Raimi Spider-Man film is now despite being liked by fans at the time.

7. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

As long as Abrams's films are so successful that CBS realizes that Star Trek is still a viable market and still has a chance to get back to television in spite of the high costs to produce a space opera when other types of successful show formats are much cheaper to produce, then his movies can be the goofiest things you've ever seen, and it won't matter. They will have accomplished what 2000's Prime universe Trek was unable to do.

Oh, and it's obvious that you're a hater of nuTrek. That's fine; you're welcome to your opinion. However, making silly remarks like "Jar Jar Trek" is disrespectful to the members here that actually like the new movies, like myself. I am not at all a fan of Enterprise, and I've posted on many an occasion why. However, I've never resorted to childish name-calling to make my points. I suggest you do the same.

8. DalekJim

It's not disrespectful for me to insult a movie that some people like. If you think it is then report my posts to a moderator or keep your discontent to yourself as it's pointless turning this in to a flame war. It's just a debate about a popcorn movie, chill out.

9. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Legion likes the feeling of superiority by liking successful things. His posts regarding Trek 2009 have mostly been variations of "I'm a better Trek fan than you because I like the new film". He's not any different from the other guys that say versions of "You're not a true Trek fan if you like the new film", but he thinks he is.
    Just look at highlighted elements of the quote above. A few vocal trekkies on the Internet, he stresses the basement dwelling aspect here. Then they are wrong. And they have always been wrong, as usual. Unlike himself, because he likes the new movies and is part of the not so vocal majority, that also has a life outside the Internet.

10. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You wish. :guffaw:

11. DalekJim

A very true observation of modern Trek fandom. You get these self-loathing Trekkies that are desperate not to be perceived as geeks or different by the mainstream. They welcome JJ Abrams as it means MTV, E! and the tabloids now care about Star Trek, as if that's a good thing.

Personally, I don't care and am fine to like a show that is perceived by many as nerdy. Star Trek is all about embracing different ideas and the triumph of intellect over fear. I won't be pressured by the mainstream in to thinking that the 2009 film is a clever movie. It isn't. I see it as a Picard in Chain of Command-esque test of my willpower.

"THERE. IS. NO. PLOT!"

12. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"as it's pointless turning this in to a flame war." - DalekJim

"Star Trek is all about embracing different ideas" - DalekJim

"Star Trek is all about embracing different ideas
    " - DalekJim

13. DalekJim

None of those quotes have anything to do with what I said. Appealing to frivolous gossip mags by having Spock and Uhuru get it on isn't opening Trek up to new ideas. It's making it dumb and boring. Some of us like Trek to escape that crap.

14. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

In your personal vision of Trek. A Spock/Uhuru romance in an alternate timeline is the very embodiment of embracing new ideas for me.

15. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Less of this, please.

Also less of this.

You could probably drop the repeating "Jar Jar Abrams" gibe, too, and I'll bet no one would miss it. :)

16. DalekJim

Don't you think giving Spock a traditional love interest spoils the mysterious, alien nature of the character in order to make him a typical Hollywood hero?

Not to seem dumb but what forum rule would that be breaking exactly? Unless there's a genuine rule about not merging Star Wars and Star Trek related names together.

17. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

Jeez, Abrams says something that almost every Trek Director or Producer has said at any time before a Trek film, and he's being savaged for it?

I could imagine the rush on the box office if he'd say, "We're making this movie for hardcore Star Trek fans and them only."

18. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

No, not at all. In fact, it may open up future avenues to expand on it.

19. controlfreak

controlfreak Commander Red Shirt

:rofl: Hahahaha... Hilarious because it epitomizes the "True Fan!!"

20. DalekJim

Different opinions are SO FUNNY.