Orci: Characters Not In Star Trek 2

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by TrekToday, Jun 27, 2012.

1. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^^^Refresh my memory on that, please.

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's something like, McCoy calls out, "Nurse Chapel! I need 50cc's of cordrazine" and we hear a "Yes, Doctor!" from off screen in reply. It's when Kirk wakes up with the swollen hands.

Based on her hair in the one released photo, I'm 99% certain Alice Eve is Dr. Elizabeth Dehner in STXII.

3. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

But is the hair exactly right, or can we expect someone to point out, after viewing a trailer or screening the film, that "Her hair is parted on the wrong side, therefore that cannot possibly be the real/genuine/canon Dr. Dehner!"?*

For that matter, are Ms. Eve's eyes the correct color, shade and tone for the role? And what about her height? Weight? Shoe size? Astrological sign?

OMGWTFBBQIt'sAFaaakeWalkingFreezerUnitPlotHoooole!

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Maybe.

But why would they be beholden to a haircut on a particular character that most audience members probably don't know to begin with?

If she's Dehner, then it's most likely that Cumberbatch is indeed Gary Mitchell.

5. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    KingDaniel has already said it...and I don't blame you for missing it! It's like...one single off-handed mention, and you don't see her. McCoy mentions her once.

6. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wasn't she vamped enough already?

7. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Great as they are I have to agree. But then I sometimes feel the same way about Klingons.

8. BillJ

I feel that way 24/7. Soooo burnt out on the Klingons thanks to Modern Trek.

9. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

Can't be. Mitchell is on the list of excluded characters.

10. BillJ

But Urban said it was Mitchell and hasn't backed off of that. And Pegg said it wasn't Khan and there's no reports of him being contacted by Paramount about breaking his non-disclosure agreement. And wouldn't Orci also be getting calls from Paramount about breaking his NDA by flatly stating who it isn't? :shrug:

11. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

You can see that now. :p

[​IMG]

On a related note, they retold the Gary Mitchell story in the comic and Elizabeth Dehner was absent. They made a point of saying that she was suposed to be there but transfered somewhere else at the last minute or something to that effect. I thought that maybe her part was cut to keep the story brief but it's possible that she's being held over for a part in the movie. Who knows...

12. BillJ

13. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

However, Gary Mitchell has already been used in the comic series, which is directly supervised by Orci so that they don't use ideas whicc will be done in the sequel. Seems remarkably sloppy to let them use Mitchell if they planned to use him in the movie.

And before anyone suggests that the comic story was set up for the movie, IDW has already confirmed they're doing a seperate series for that.

14. BillJ

Mitchell or Khan or someone else, but I'm not sure who else could give Spock a run for his money from canon. I don't care as long as it is a good movie. Hell, it could be the Salt Vampire from The Man Trap.

But I don't trust anyone involved with the production to give a straight answer. Maybe the Salt Vampire gets off the planet by killing Mitchell and taking his place... :eek:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  15. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Last time Orci was involved in a tie-in comic, they had the Narada merged with Borg technology, the supernova/time travel thing happened differently from the film, and the Jellyfish was not a Vulcan ship but a ship designed and built by Geordi LaForge. And in later discussions about the inconsistencies between comic and film, he replied "The comic isn't canon."

16. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

He's been involved with all the "ST Ongoing" storylines from IDW.

But he also said, IIRC, that he is involved in the comics so they can plant easter eggs into these comics (that will turn out to be clues about the new film). And that his involvement would provide some consistency for the new, developing timeline so the stories wouldn't clash.

If he didn't care about ST canon, why bother to oversee the comics at all?

17. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Because stating that sells comics and creates buzz. These guys have been involved in Lost, Alias, Cloverfield, etc... this is all just part of viral marketing. They can create these comics independently, and when some little tiny thing matches the film, it's the easter egg they were talking about. And when the rest is inconsistent, it's not canon. "Oversee" is a very broad term, too.

18. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Exactly. But Orci won't use it to shoot himself in the foot. They're not going to stomp on the four Pocket novels - now shelved - then work closely with IDW over several story arcs - and then stomp on their efforts with the new movie.

I chose it carefully.

19. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

JJ Abrams' fault. He was tinking with and reworking the mind meld scene up until 2 weeks prior to the film's release.

Besides, as an impressionistic mild meld, there's plenty of wiggle room.
    Designed by. He designed it, they built it.