Writing Challege, Winter 2014 - Other Universes

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Phil, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Phil

Phil Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Yeah....I know....it's Summer in the Northern Hemisphere, but, as I was the winner of the last Challenge, and as I live in the Southern Hemisphere, it's going to be the Winter Challenge....for this one, anyway....the winner of this one can call the next one Spring, if they're in the South, or Fall, if they're in the North, and so on, as far as I'm concerned :-)

Anyway....

Let's see....some ideas....

What if The Borg had succeeded in stopping First Contact, and had turned the population of Earth into Borg, as Data mentioned "Population approximately 9,000,000,000....all Borg"

Many years ago there was a story arc called The Doctor & The Enterprise....this one was based on the 4th Doctor and Classic Trek....what would happen if the Peter Capaldi version, or The War Doctor (or even just your Doctor of choice), met up with The Enterprise - E....or Captain Jack Harkness and Torchwood, maybe?

Here's an example of the older one

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/The_Doctor_and_the_Enterprise

In my story from the last Challenge, I had the original Kahless-The-Unforgettable as a Gou'ald, and also referenced a Predator at one point as well....what if other races in Trek were Gou'ald??

The Vulcans, and presumably Romulans as well (being originally Vulcans) live for 200 years at a time on average....what if the reason for that was because they're Gou'ald?

There's a few ideas to get you going anyway....I'm sure people can think of many more :-)

Have fun with it and see where things go.

The Rules:
    - Word limit: 20,000--a little wiggle room is granted though, just don’t push it :)
    - Story must be original for this month’s challenge, nothing posted here before please
    - The Trek source can be either canon or your own creation
    - Only complete stories will be eligible; finishing the story before posting it is a good idea
    - Post a link to your entry in this thread when you’re done
    - Contest will run until midnight (GMT) July 31st 2014, with voting to run from August 1st to August 10th

Any questions or queries, send me a PM or post it here.

Good luck and have fun.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  2. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Re: Writing Challege, Winter 2014 - Strange New Worlds

Uh, you're supposed to pick a new theme for the challenge. I guess we should have explained that better.

Also, the dates regarding the deadline and the voting are contradictory.

3. Phil

Any specific reason for that?

I changed it a little, but saw nothing specifically wrong with the way it was

4. Count Zero

It doesn't make much sense to have the same theme twice in the row. The likelihood that more or other people will participate because the theme appeals to them more is higher if things are changed around a bit.
    Also, that's how it's been done since the writing challenges started. It would be nice to continue the tradition. If you need inspiration the thread called "Writing challenge - the winning entries" not only has a collection of winning stories but also often the theme of the challenge. Please add your story to the thread, too.

They're okay now but before it said that vorting would run until June 10th.

5. Phil

Hmmmm....

Maybe by default of my not having the minimum 50 or whatever, but it won't allow me to edit the Topic

If you have that power as Mod, would 'Other Universes' suffice as a Theme?

Could have sworn it said August 31st for the Voting....

6. Count Zero

Well, I've edited the title of the thread.

7. Phil

Shiny :-)

8. Phil

Here's another potential idea....

In another board, there's currently an argument about who would win in regards to Star Wars v Star Trek....in other words....The Empire against The Federation, for example (insert plot scenario of your choice for this to actually happen in the first place)

While discussing this, due to an off-hand comment, The Smurfs were mentioned as well....what would happen if The Smurfs were involved as well?

Maybe Jedi Smurfs, for example?

Or....seeing as how Andorians are blue anyway....make them Smurfs?

Anyway....it's just a thought :-)

9. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

^I don't mean to step on the mods' toes, but I wonder if it might help to clarify something. Each of the challenges follows a particular theme, which has be worked into the plot of the story.

For example, a solid premise for writing a story might be "no-win scenario" or "murder mystery," and the story that flows from one of these ideas will contain plot elements that fit the theme in question.

Captain Clark Terrell enlists the help of former security chief Pavel Chekov when a member of his engineering staff is killed in her quarters.

Constable Odo sneaks behind enemy lines after a Federation diplomat goes missing.

None of the stories has to be exactly like these scenarios, but the general idea is that everyone writes a story based on a specific idea. It's fun to see how each person interprets the challenge and uses it write a story with existing or original characters.

--Sran

10. Count Zero

I thought the theme was "Other Universes", i.e. write a story set in a different universe from the main Trek one but with ties to the Trekiverse(s), and that the story premises were just examples. But maybe I'm wrong so it would be nice if Phil clarified that.

11. Phil

Definitely so....I was waiting for you, as Mod, to say something contrary, so that I didn't step on your toes either :-)

Yes, my idea was to, as you said, keep the connection to Trek, but expand it to include other universes as well....and the ideas I put out were merely that....ideas, and people are free to choose their own scenario from there

For example....a number of years ago, I wrote a story that had The Scorpio and crew from Blake's 7 finding their way into Trek space and meeting up with the Enterprise....I've since lost that one, sadly, otherwise I might try and include it in a Thread here :-(

12. Count Zero

As a Blakes 7 fan I would have liked to read that. :)

As for stepping on my toes, it's your challenge to set so you're free to do what you want (within the limits of board rules, of course ;)).

13. Phil

Mine probably wasn't all that good anyway....feel free to try your own one if you like :-)

14. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

I have an idea for this, and a partly-finished draft.

15. Phil

Feel free to post it when you're done :-)

16. jespah

Well, thanks. I like to let 'em percolate for a few days. That way it's easier to find typos. :)

17. jespah

Here's the start of my response, Theorizing.
    http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=247399

It has seven chapters; I'll post a chapter a day if I can. The whole thing is about 11,650 words long or so.

It's a Quantum Leap/Star Trek: Enterprise crossover, for QL, it's past the series finale. For ENT, it's Season 3. Rated K. Thank you for reading.

18. jespah

And, it's completed. Thank you for reading.

19. Phil

Well, it's getting towards the end of July....is anyone else working on anything for this Challenge?

20. Graywand2

Graywand2 Commander Red Shirt

I have a rules question though: are rewrites of stories posted before eligible?