The Impossible Girl: Who IS Clara Oswin Oswald?!?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Nightowl1701, Dec 27, 2012.

?

Seriously, who the hell is she??

1. A long overdue family reunion - Clara's a fobwatched & regenerated Susan!

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  2. The One Who Got Away - Clara's a fobwatched & regenerated Romana!

3 vote(s)
    4.7%
  3. 'Til Death do us part? I don't think so, Sweetie - Clara's a fobwatched & regenerated post-Library R

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. She's a MAN, man - Clara's a fobwatched & regenerated Master!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. If at first you don't succeed... - Clara's the ultimate Anti-Doctor weapon of the Silence, Mark II!

3 vote(s)
    4.7%
  6. A sneak preview of things to come - Clara's a Watcher, but WILL BE the Twelfth Doctor!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Hello again - Clara's a fobwatched, future (post-Doctor) version of Sexy!

2 vote(s)
    3.1%
  8. Eye See You - Clara's Prisoner Zero!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. You'll never see it coming - None of the above, and even stranger than all!

56 vote(s)
    87.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

Now that we've had a chance to digest our Christmas dinner, and the bewildering revelations of "The Snowmen" - let the speculation begin! (Spoilers, Sweetie...)

Remember, the 50th Anniversary is less than a year away. And one thing we can be sure Clara is NOT - an ordinary human girl!

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I think it's going to be something more vague and storytale. They talked about the universe owing the Doctor in this episode. I think it's just going to be that after all the tragedies the Doctor has suffered, the universe (not a specific entity) is finally throwing him a bone and giving him a Kenny. Anytime one dies, he can just pick up a replacement with the same personality from a different time period.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Susan?! Good grief, she made out with the Doctor, and you're suggesting she's his granddaughter?! Eww.

And it doesn't make sense to assume she's just regenerated, because that's a completely different thing from what's going on here. Regeneration is one individual changing appearance and personality. This is multiple different women in multiple different eras having the same appearance and personality -- and even the same name, or nearly so. That seems like some kind of temporal echo or hiccup or something going on.

Remember how Captain Jack is "a fixed point in time" and thus immortal? Maybe Clara is something similar, but more of a recurring loop or resonance in time.

Here's a cockamamie idea I thought of which is probably bogus: The name "Clara" means "clear, bright" and "Oswald" means "divine ruler." Bright divine ruler = White Guardian? Could she be some sort of avatar of a cosmic force? Hey, if Moffat brought back the Great Intelligence...

4. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

Clara's obviously a rassilon/omega/rani hybrid out to steal children's souls

5. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

I have no idea, but that's part of the fun

6. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

She is the overcomplicated story-arc for the next year or two that will be resolved with a mess of fanwank and/or dismissed with a TARDIS-load of nonsensical timey-wimey bullshit. I can overlook such things though, because she is goddamn adorable.

7. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I've no clue. She's insanely cute I know that for sure.

8. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

none of the above.

Can't be Susan or Romana (or Jenny) as they'd have regenerated, not just died and been mysteriously reincarnated elsewhere with no memory of their other self - which also pretty much rules out River, the Rani, any Time Lords...

Silent (or other enemy) secret weapon is most likely out of that list, but I doubt Moffat will just repeat himself like that. Sexy (i.e. the TARDIS) surely wouldn't have died from a fall.

Unintentional side-effect of Oswin's hacking into the Dalek net/TARDIS/etc... maybe.

9. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If she was a Time Lady she would have regen'd but I think she could be a sort of 'evolution' of the Time Lords or a side race - her body can die, but she somehow seems to live parallel lives. It's confusing but hey maybe she's the Doctor's true 'soul mate' or something. Like the 'Universe' saying 'alright you're a 1000 time for you to actually get something cute to look at and settle down - repopulate Gallifray. Maybe shes' the universe's way of ensuring there's at least one Time Lord to carry on?

10. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Possibly. Here's my theory, which I think is too complicated for Moffat (who tends to go with the simplest solution possible):

The Doctor gave up his protection against the Dalek nanoprobes on the Asylum. He may have been immune to them, but he still carried them, and possibly he left some here and there and everywhere throughout time and space. Left to their own devices, these rogue nanoprobes reshape a human into Oswin.

11. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

We've already seen three iterations of her, though. Dalek future. Victorian past. Present day. So where did the present day one come from?

12. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    She could be the series's Kenny, and have no explanation, just dies at the end of every episode and shows up later without being explained just to drive nutty theories. I am tired of companion mysteries like Amy/River now this.

13. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

I think she's a secret weapon of the Silence, because it will be quite heartbreaking to lose her like that.

14. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

C.O.O.

She's a time/space homing pigeon.

15. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think Clara is a normal human being from present day Earth who travels with the Doctor but then something happens and she gets cloned through time. Maybe the Tardis does it. The Clara in Asylum and The Snowmen were temporal clones. Since the Doctor is a time traveler, he met them first, leading him to go looking for the real Clara and taking her on as a companion which leads to her getting cloned through time. Thus the time loop is complete. Timey Whimey...

16. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Daleks are a clone species after a fashion.

These are that Oswins identical children.

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That's a plausible idea, given how fond Moffat is of causality-loop stories (such as "Blink" and the River Song arc) -- and how much he keeps returning to the same wells.

18. Theodore Jay Miller

Theodore Jay Miller Commodore Newbie

A human equivalent of the phrase Bad Wolf, repeatedly encountered by the Doctor, and spread throughout time afterwards.

19. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe she has something to do with the Doctor. Some as of yet unseen link. I can't help thinking we'll see her die 9 more times. But next year being the 50th anniversary I get the feeling the Moff has set her up with that in mind.

20. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

Please, please, please don't have Clara be some incarnation of River.

It can be any of the other choices, or something new, I don't care. Just not River.