Star Trek: The Next Generation Blu-ray Audio Issues

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by TrekToday, Jul 30, 2012.

1. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Their return policy is 30 days from when you bought the set. I don't see why you can't exchange it for a new set, but if it's just a few discs, I'll just take the discs. Of course if I find anything on disc 5 (Or any other disc that wasn't part of the replacement program), and I haven't heard any audio complaints on the disc yet, than I might just exchange the whole thing.

2. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

I emailed HMV about obtaining the replacement set and they just sent back a generic 'return faulty item' email due to manufacturing fault. Piss poor effort in comparison to Amazon & Play.

3. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't understand what the big deal is myself. I got mine at Best Buy too, and from what I can tell the rest of the set is pretty much flawless. The only other "issue" that's been found is that (barely noticeable) missing phaser beam in Heart of Glory, and I can easily live with that.

Personally I've been so blown away by the episodes I have seen, that I'm glad I didn't have to wait any longer to see them. And the others will come in the mail later and I'll watch them. Perfectly fine.

Yeah they screwed up, but it was an honest mistake which they're now correcting; no reason for anyone get all bitter and nasty about it.

4. inflatabledalek

inflatabledalek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, a one off cock up is OK, if unfortunarte. Optimum's release of The Avengers (as in John Steed) takes the biscuit for poor quality control. Out of seven releases (including the "Complete" series set and the solo release of the new bonus disc from it) only one didn't have some sort of problem with it.

Including- but not limited to- scenes being left out (or moved within the episode), authoring faults, the separate release of the extras disc being blank, some discs not playing on some episodes and, best of all, all the colour Emma Peel episodes having an audio fault that made everyone sound like they were on helium.

It was an impressive display really, almost as if there was some sort of bet going on at Optimum over who could get the most mistakes into a set.

And for every single one of those you had to send the afflicted discs off individually to the manufacturer and wait for them to send fixed ones back. I believe Legacy of Death is only avaliable without a picture fault in the complete series set and I don't think the flaw on that set with the extras disc (with a suttery picuture on the new locations documentary) has ever been repaired.

5. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have had a hard day slogging through shows at the Edinburgh Fringe and come back to my Amazon replacement email. Yass!

6. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

I think the issue for some, myself included, is that we shelled out the cash to support CBS right out the gate...and all of the missing footage that had either been upconverted or replaced with CGI has been found and made its way into later episodes in the set where the effects were reused. Speaking for myself, I paid for the set with the understanding that this would be the finalized, definitive version. If it isn't and others are getting a full set replacement, then I would hope to have that same courtesy. I don't want to have to re-buy the set to get the fully corrected eoisodes.

7. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You assume that the "minor issues" that Paramount keeps referring to are issues with the remastering. Paramount hasn't said anything about correcting "mistakes" that the fans have noticed.

8. NewHorizon

I think it's a safe assumption, considering they said they're taking the opportunity to fix some other minor issues...and they would certainly be minor. We don't have much to go on, unless Mr. Okuda drops by to clarify.

9. BriGuy

BriGuy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The primary problem I have is that not all customers are being treated the same and/or equally.

What is being done is varying based on where you happened to buy it.

Some get complete new sets, others get a few specific discs replaced.

Plus the communication hasn't been the greatest.

I won't put out money for the same season again.

And I may be hesitant to buy others, depending upon how this settles out. This could be the worst impact of this whole mess.

10. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They could be referring to fixing the audio synch issues on the 2.0 stereo tracks some viewers experienced.

11. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

It's not like the 3 defective discs are somehow diseased and make the entire set defective.

All you gotta do is plop in the replacement discs when they come, and voilà, you have a perfect set.

12. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Also, there's nothing to say these additional changes are occurring outside of the 3 discs they're already replacing.

13. NewHorizon

Yes, but the concern is that there are going to be corrections outside of those 3 disks. I have no problem with only receiving 3 disks if any addional changes are only being made to those disks.

14. trekker670

Again, there hasn't been any reason to believe that there are changes outside the 3 discs. Chances are, what's going to happen is these retailers are going to wait until they get their fixed sets and just send out copies of those to help with the customer service aspect. I doubt CBS is going out of their way to do work on these other discs and would still only replace the 3 discs, because they know the PR nightmare that would create.

15. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

I'm fairly confident that EVERYONE will get ALL the fixes, no matter what they are, no matter what additional discs might be updated in addition to the ones we already know about.

If (and it's a big if) they decide to fix errors on discs 2, 5 or 6 then we'll get those too. My feeling is that if the changes are limited to discs 1, 3 and 4, then those of us who contacted Deluxe in the US will just get those discs as we were told originally. If CBS decides to change more discs for whatever reason, then they'll probably do what Amazon UK is doing and send us a brand new set, then request the old one back.

This isn't going to be a situation where customers in the US get some fixes and customers in other parts of the world get all the fixes. That's absurd and makes no sense.

16. trekker670

17. BriGuy

BriGuy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You can speculate back and forth all day.

None of it really matters until the source comes out and details what is being changed on which discs, then we'll know for sure.

Until then, we don't know.

18. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Well, I'm at least glad you went from "This is bullshit" this morning to essentially "let's wait and see, we shouldn't speculate." Maybe at the end of all this you'll even be "pleasantly surprised"? :lol:

19. inflatabledalek

inflatabledalek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's entirely possible that this different treatment has nothing to do with CBS at all and is entirely down to Amazon. If they decide to go above and beyond what other retailers are doing by sending out complete replacements as a good will gesture from their new stock (which could actually be a fairly smart move, whatever the hit they may take on sending out those sets will likely be made up for by the fact a lot of people who brought season 1 elsewhere will be going to Amazon for the rest of the series if no one else does this), I'm not sure what CBS are supposed to do about it. Tell them not to undercut their competitors?

20. NewHorizon

That wouldn't explain the additional fixes though,(whether those changes span across the entire set we still don't know) that would certainly fall under CBS.