Why do people judge gamers?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Civ001, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Civ001

Civ001 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I would like to know, why do people still judge people for playing video games? Its 2014 and I can't believe stuff like: video games are a waste of time or are for children is still being said in this day and age. Why do so many people judge people for liking to play video games?

2. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Who under 40 says stuff like that anymore?

3. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

^ I was going to say, the OP's "people" are in the process of quite literally dying out.

4. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

In countries like Japan, video games are considered something you give up when you take on adult responsibilities.

It's only recently that in the US it became socially acceptable for adults to play a lot of video games, and people who don't play video games still associate them with manchildren who live in their parents' basement. In reality, lots of people with good jobs and families are still playing into adulthood. Just, in the 1980s when the older gamers started gaming, the games they played were designed explicitly for children, so it's hard for people older than that to unlearn that association.

Also you don't get a lot of portrayal of casual gamers in the media. Most gamers you see and hear about are the 8 hour a day MMO junkies. In reality most gamers fall more in the 5-10 hour a week, not interfering with social, family, or work responsibilities category. But the public face of gamers is the WoW episode of South Park and Big Bang Theory.

5. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

Play a little on xbox live, virtually any MMO, or visit a dedicated gaming site. With those people as our representatives, it's no wonder the rest of the world thinks we're losers.

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I know very few people that don't play video games, so I honestly have no idea who the OP is talking about.

7. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Video games have that aspect that you are playing them alone. Even if you do online multiplaying, you are sitting alone in a room. Movies and TV shows have a different image. You watch stuff together.

But everyone plays video games. And games are the next big storytelling medium, TV and movies will die sooner or later.

8. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They're jealous of your gamerscore.

9. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

You see games replacing TV/movies as the most popular storytelling medium? I love games, but the stories that make good games are different than the kinds of stories that make good tv/movies.

Video games are inherently more social than TV and film. Even when you're watching a film with somebody you're sitting silently staring at the screen. The exception, of course, being when you're watching bad movies to collectively make wisecracks about them. But video games have local multiplayer options both coop and versus. Men bond over video games, I know parents who bond with their children over video games. Some video games are not social, but the medium is inherently very social.

10. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Historically, people always judge other people who are into things they aren't into or just don't understand.

11. Robert Maxwell

My parents, who are in their 50s, were playing video games with me in the '80s. I doubt they were the only ones. Video games are fast becoming just another entertainment medium that respectable people everywhere can enjoy without stigma.

Anime fans, on the other hand... :shifty:

12. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Not really when you have contact with the polar opposite, i.e. people who have a very active, i.e. much sports lifestyle and are generally outdoor people.

Now it always depends on the character of the person but i've met plenty of people who think gaming is for kids, nerds and basement dwellers and they look down on such people because their lifestyle is the one and only true lifestyle and everybody should be doing it.

However the general attitude has changed tremendously since i've been a kid 30 years ago and the computer/console scene was in its infancy in the early 80s.

Having a computer back then, even if it were only a C64 and knowing how it worked besides loading up games put you immediately in the nerd category.

It only started to change with Nintendo consoles and finally the barrier broke when the Playstation and later on the Xbox broke the barrier.

Now even so called jocks and everybody else sat down once in a while to play some Halo, Call of Duty or some of the million sports games available so it became socially more acceptable and on top of it regularly beats Hollywood in revenue by a large margin now.

So the time is thankfully over when you get strange looks once people see some consoles or computers at your place.

13. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What a bunch of nerds.

14. Robert Maxwell

It's not a subculture unless it has another subculture to look down on.

15. Shik

Shik Commander Red Shirt

It's the 3 most important things in business.
    That's what furries are for. Which reminds me, Anthrocon should be coming back to town soon.

16. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I don't !

I used to back in the Megadrive/PS1 days but I found gaming got very boring after about 30 minutes, whatever the game.

Yes they are, my sons Last of Us and GTAV games are very well done, but they won't replace TV and movies any more than TV and movies replaced books.

True :

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ofzCZiQ9vjA

17. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

But you can already see the shift to games from an industry point of view: high profile actors playing the main characters, Hollywood film composers doing the music, etc...

18. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Last of Us is not a replacement for television. That's a ridiculous claim to make.

19. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

My sons and I have very fond memories of playing Monkey Island, Indiana Jones, Sam and Max etc as a family 20 years ago. Nowadays I tend to play solo games but my tend to play multiplayer games online.

20. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

Can't get any worse than "Trekkers"..