The Impossible Girl: Who IS Clara Oswin Oswald?!?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Nightowl1701, Dec 27, 2012.

?

Seriously, who the hell is she??

1. A long overdue family reunion - Clara's a fobwatched & regenerated Susan!

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  2. The One Who Got Away - Clara's a fobwatched & regenerated Romana!

3 vote(s)
    4.7%
  3. 'Til Death do us part? I don't think so, Sweetie - Clara's a fobwatched & regenerated post-Library R

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. She's a MAN, man - Clara's a fobwatched & regenerated Master!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. If at first you don't succeed... - Clara's the ultimate Anti-Doctor weapon of the Silence, Mark II!

3 vote(s)
    4.7%
  6. A sneak preview of things to come - Clara's a Watcher, but WILL BE the Twelfth Doctor!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Hello again - Clara's a fobwatched, future (post-Doctor) version of Sexy!

2 vote(s)
    3.1%
  8. Eye See You - Clara's Prisoner Zero!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. You'll never see it coming - None of the above, and even stranger than all!

56 vote(s)
    87.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

2. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that has come up. If not here then amongst other conversations and threads I've engaged in. It would have a lot more potential as a theory if it wasn't so damn creepy to think about her using Dalek technology to recreate herself, a technology that has shown itself to be applied through infecting a pre-existing being.

3. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    This. Unless it does have something to do with her being a new Silence superweapon.

Maybe he DID take that position but the Daleks travelled back in time and changed it????

DUN-DUN-DUNNNNNNNNNNN!

4. who.me

who.me Ensign Red Shirt

Just learnt it could be mr smiths last series. Based on that i know believe that clara is the host for the new doctor. simple

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^The rumor that this might be Smith's last season has been around for quite a while now and it's never been more than a rumor. I think we went through the same thing with Tennant, rumors cropping up in multiple seasons that it might be his last season. And probably with most earlier Doctors too.

6. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just heard a rumor that Peter Jackson will be directing the 50th anniversary special.

:D

7. who.me

who.me Ensign Red Shirt

mmmmmmmmmmm looks as if it not a rumour anymore but in fact reality as matt has gone on record by stating "Matt Smith told telly bosses he wants to bow out as the floppy-haired Time Lord". so matts last episode will be the 2013 xmas special when the new doctor will appear.

8. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

He really spoke about himself in the third person? The Mirrorball Man finds that odd.

9. Christopher

10. The Mirrorball Man

They're not really hands-on, are they?

11. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

He's not. Nick Hurran (director of "The Girl Who Waited") is directing the episode. Jackson will be busy in New Zealand prepping the third filming block of The Hobbit in mid-April (when the Anniversary Special lenses) since filming resumes at the end of May (which is creating a two-month break in Sherlock filming).

12. Christopher

I take it you didn't follow my link. I didn't quote the next line, which explained that they don't know what will happen because it hasn't been written yet. So presumably nobody knows that yet. Somehow the audience always seems to assume that the creators of a work of serial fiction have every move plotted out years in advance, but really they might only have the next few months plotted out at any given time -- heck, the producers of a show would be foolish not to keep their options open and be able to adapt to changing circumstances. Matt Smith himself may not have even decided what career path he's going to follow 9 months or a year from now, because he's busy working on more immediate stuff.

13. The Mirrorball Man

That's what I call "not being hands-on". The BBC could have a completely different attitude about it, this being a very expensive and popular show, and ask the showrunner to give them a detailed preview of what to expect in the next couple of months. They choose not to, but they could.

14. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Consider though, what they admit to knowing, or not knowing, in public might not have any reflection to what's going on inside the BBC.

The BBC could be negotiating with Smith right now to continue. Or they already know he's not coming back and they are discussing plans.

A press release isn't some sort of gospel truth.

15. The Mirrorball Man

Maybe not, but there's a very good reason why press releases are mostly true most of the time: because if they stop being reliable, and are instead filled with lies and fabrications, then journalists will instantly stop using them, quoting from them and acknowledging them, and that's quite a lot of free publicity that's gonna vanish. There is, in my experience, a mutually beneficial gentleman agreement that press releases are trustworthy.

16. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

True. That said, there is probably truth in it, they don't know what's going to happen for the Christmas Episode, but it doesn't mean they aren't talking about it behind closed doors.

Why should those sort of discussions be transparent at all times? It could ruin stories, ruin negotiations.

My point is, as there might be some truth in what they say, we, as readers of press releases shouldn't read more into them than is there.

17. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not according to my sources.

18. Christopher

Again, you missed the key part of what I said. The showrunner himself might not know yet either. The decision might not have been made yet at all, by anyone. Like I said, creators don't have everything planned out years in advance. A lot of the time, if they don't have an answer about what's happening in the future, it's not because they're being cagey or deceptive but just because they haven't figured it out yet, because they're too busy dealing with their current workload to have figured out what's happening nine months from now.

Honestly, I don't understand why you hear "We don't know yet" and instantly assume it's untrue. Why is it so hard to believe that the parties involved just haven't reached a firm decision yet? Have you always known exactly what career or relationship choices you were going to make nine months or a year in the future? Haven't you ever been in a position where there were various possibilities you had to consider and were weighing your options before choosing which path to take, or were so busy dealing with more immediate concerns that you had to leave that future decision up in the air?

19. The Mirrorball Man

Ironically, so did you, Chris.

I don't. I just think - and that's the only thing I've said - that a manager who doesn't expect those who work under his supervision to give him any heads-up on what they have planned in the next couple of months is not particularly "hands-on". In fact, in most businesses, that kind of attitude would be considered spectacularly negligent.

20. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Recently I've come to suspect that Clara's mystery has to do with the anniversary date, since the last two seasons have revolved around a date I think that the case this time as well.

As for what Moffat should know, the Christmas special has been planned so he has to have some kowledge of events up to that point.