Christian Bale Loses it on Terminator set

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by The Master of Tarquin Hill, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Thrall

Thrall Commodore Commodore

Bale's always been honest about being an asshole.

The official line from his people is that he's still not over the death of Heath Ledger.

2. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Yes, the DP was an idiot for walking around in the middle of a shot, and Bale was perfectly justified in being pissed. However, this kind of outburst is just completely unprofessional.

3. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

We don't know how long his mother and sister had been on his back for at the time of the incident with them - could well of been ongoing and this was the start of when he was getting pissed off with them and it was coming through in other areas.

4. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

You know, if I don't know who the DP was, whether he was experienced in the field or not, but if I was him and I felt like I had nothing to lose, I would have done one of two things:

1) Goad Bale in physically hitting me, but do it in a way that doesn't obviously seem like I'm goading (like saying calmly, "Okay, just relax" or "Calm down" or "Chill out" or "No need to flip"). Then I can sue him to no end.

2) Listen to him tear me a new one and then, when they start filming, intentionally walk into the shot again. Would probably get canned, but, like I said if I had nothing to lose, it would totally be worth it.

:devil:

5. SGCSG1

SGCSG1 Lieutenant Red Shirt

All these people saying someone (the DP for instance) should have 'kicked Bales ass'...um, have you ever SEEN Christian Bale with his shirt off?

6. Subjective

Subjective Captain Captain

Honestly, Bale was right. There was no reason for the DP to be on set during a take checking a light, he should be watching the monitors. And even if there was something wrong with the lighting, the DP can yell cut so he can go fix it.

But Bale going off on a rant like that was really unprofessional. He was right but the way he acted was wrong.

Of course, film shoots are powder kegs waiting to go off. Tensions are always high and everything is always going wrong.

:guffaw:

7. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Its kind of funny though how things go isn't it? I heard of something similar happening on the set of The Sarah Connor Chronicles recently and it wasn't big news at all.

8. Tim

Tim Vice Admiral Admiral

Between this and that other ugly incident with his relatives, it seems that Bale has serious anger issues. Poor breeding and no class. Time for Chrissy to act like a grown-up.

Do tell.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I think I like Christan Bale even MORE after hearing this!

I had an outburst like this at work once and it was completely justified. I am usually a very easy going , mild mannered guy. But people can take advantage of that. Insensitive fucks who don't care if what they do negatively effects others jobs. Sometimes these people need to be called out on their behavior. With people like that it often means verbally getting their attention in the most extreme matter.

In my case, and I assume in Bale's, I got away with it because my other coworkers knew that it was the only way to get the guy to change. That I would not act that way unless needed.

10. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

11. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I have it on my desktop and it is as quote worthy as any blockbuster movie

"NO! NO! DON'T SHUT ME UP!

12. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

Karma...what goes around, comes around.

Rob

13. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

Personally, this doesn't effect me. I've been let down by so many actors, this isn't even on the scale yet.

I mean, I used to love Mel Gibson. Then he turned out to be a drunken bible-thumper anti-semite, and... nope, don't like you anymore.

I saw an interview with Vin Diesel about his first big role, as the voice of "The Iron Giant" in the animated film of that name. I knew when I saw this, way before he did "xXx" that Vin Diesel was going places. When he did "xXx" and "Fast and the Furious" I felt really vindicated in predicting his rise to stardom. Then he didn't do the sequels, felt he was "too good" for them and instead did that family flick where he was a marine turned baby sitter. At which point... bleh.

My list goes on. Harrison Ford. Patrick Stewart. Blah blah blah. So many great talents that, somehow, do something that makes me give up on my admiration for them. I don't hate any of them, but they fall off that pedestal.

With Bale though, he never got up on that pedestal. When they cast him in "Begins" I went and watched his work and was very impressed by the relative unknown with great talent. When I saw him sit down and do a round-table discussion with a dozen crazed Bat-fans at Comic Con, and he spoke about the character, I saw his great humanity. This is the inverse of that.

This is his humanity under a poor light. But the fact remains, he's human - I've known this for some time, never elevated him to "awesome" status, just an awesome talent and a normal human being, and so... this sort of thing makes me concerned for him, but otherwise? Meh.

He's human. He makes mistakes. He has bad days. Not much else to see here.

It upsets me more to see people beating up on him for this. Inverted hero-worship. Worship when he's on top, beat him when he's down. He's a human being, accept he has his own issues and get over it.

14. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Bale and DP are on "good terms" now
    http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/christian-bale-being-a-prick-to-a-dp/
    "I'm gonna f@cking kick your ass if you don't F#CKING! SHUTUP...........but your a nice guy a nice guy!"

15. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I agree completely with your points Frontier.

The above update reinforces that. Too often we forget that for all their talents and celebrity these are human beings.

Think of yourself at your worst moment. Think of all the obnoxious people we have to deal with everyday. Maybe that was only their worst moment.

But more than anything - Its very unlikely I will ever met this man in real life. So all that really matters is my view of his work. Knowing that he is shockingly one of the billions of flawed people on this Planet does not upset me that much!

16. the_wildcard

the_wildcard Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree as well. Should he have lost is temper? No. But you know what? People always do things they aren't supposed to do.

You know, there are alot of circumstances around his outburst that are unknown but would sure help cast a better light. For example, what time was this outburst? I mean if it was after a 14 hour shooting day at 4 am in the morning, you are tired and dirty and trying to film a serious scene then I would be surprised if he didn't get angry in some way.

17. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

If the DP has forgiven him, then get the fuck over it, Internet.

18. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

But celebrities are supposed to be paragons of virtue! :scream:

19. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

OMG ... Why do some people think this actor can do no wrong just because "he is teh Batman"? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Everyone has had bad days at work--police officers, actors, doctors, engineers, teachers, firefighters, lawyers, producers, waitresses, sales reps, customer-service reps, secretaries--and everyone has every right to be angry. But Bale's outburst was uncalled for, over-the-top, and unnecessary. I'm not saying the Director of Photography was not at fault; sure, he was careless, but Bale's reaction bordered on juvenile and psychotic. I think he's a fine actor (a fucking hot one I'd fantasize with), but the man needs to take an anger management class.

20. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

It has nothing to do with him being "teh Batman." If he and the DP have made amends and consider it all water under the bridge, then the story is over.

Spare me your "OMG"s and rolleyes.