John Christopher a Regular?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Control Voice, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Control Voice

Control Voice Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

For a long time I've felt that the Captain John Christopher character from Tomorrow is Yesterday would have made a great TOS regular . He would have given an interesting fresh perspective to some 23rd century events. Plus it would have a built in tension as history shows he lived out his life in his own era, so Kirk and Co. know they will return him to his proper place in time. But, how and when?

2. Praetor Baldric

Praetor Baldric Lieutenant Commander

I like this idea. If I understood correctly, Christopher would stay on for several episodes while the crew is working on a solution for returning him to his own time. This would totally work in a modern day series where successful series can pretty much plan out their episodes for each season. Ultimately there would be "a very special episode" where the solution would be found and Christopher would leave after some tearful goodbyes with the regulars and possibly a touching scene between him and Kirk or Spock.

Trouble is, I don't think TV series of the 1960s dealt with that sense of continuity that is so common today (where TV dramas and comedies have a structure that resembles more that of the soap opera). Each episode was made as a self-contained story (which is why you can jump around from season to season and not find yourself asking a lot of questions about who the new characters are and why are these two dating now because I thought they hated each other...etc...).

3. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Eh, he wasn't that interesting a character.

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I don't really see the point.

5. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Which means he would have been too important to send on landing parties, and be stuck on a ship he didn't want to be on in the first place, and had already tried to escape from. It's not that the crew knows they'll return him to his place in time, it's that they have to keep him alive long enough to make the attempt that they're not even sure will work.

6. Praetor Baldric

I think the idea is that he would have to stay on as the crew is still working on how to send him back. Meanwhile, new adventures ensue and occasionally Christopher is just the right man for the job. Being a gung-ho kinda guy, he volunteers on those occasions and, despite protests from Kirk, Spock et al., it is decided that he has to be part of the given mission. You could even have some teasers before commercial cuts where McCoy says, "Oh God, I think he really is dead this time Jim! May Heaven help us!" Until we finally get to the episode where someone figures out how to get him back and we have a heartfelt scene and off he goes. Kirk makes a profound statement and/or the crew exchange a nostalgic chuckle, Warp 2 Mr. Sulu, Aye Warp 2 sir. Roll credits.

7. Melakon

The other problem with the scenario is you have the Enterprise stuck at Earth in 1968 for X number of episodes with no place to go and investigate. They're cut off from Starfleet and any repair facilities. They can't go to Vulcan or anywhere else without contaminating timelines.

8. Praetor Baldric

Presumably they can leave 1968, screw up timelines and then have everything return to normal next season when they figure out how to send him back. Might even have an episode where he meets his great great great great etc... grandson who turns out to be Harry Mudd!

9. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

And with that silliness, I'm outta here.

10. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Garrovick would have been a better choice.

11. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've said it before, but the guest who should have been a regular was Dr. Helen Noel. I have nothing against McCoy, but she would have been a more interesting foil for Kirk and Spock.

12. Praetor Baldric

Ba-bye!:rolleyes:

13. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

A very underrated character. Plus, the first human to travel beyond earth orbit.

14. Praetor Baldric

yes he really is an interesting character. I really do wish there would have been some way to work him into the regular cast but as others have pointed out it would really be difficult to do so without totally disrupting timelines.

15. Nerys Myk

What exactly is interesting about him?

16. Melakon

I think actor Roger Perry is more interesting than John Christopher. Perry had been an intelligence officer for the Air Force, I first saw him in a show called Harrigan and Son, and he was married to JoAnne Worley of Rowan & Martin's Laugh In for 25 years.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  17. Praetor Baldric

The fact that he didn't soil himself and run around the transporter room crying like a frightened little girl when he was beamed aboard a spaceship from 300 years in the future and then meets a Vulcan and takes it all very well.

Now, when told he can never go back home again to his wife and child, he stands up for himself. Also, he will sire a very important man who plays an important role in Earth's history and he looks right in that Command uniform.

18. Nerys Myk

Well that's interesting for one episode. For an on going character, not so much.

19. Praetor Baldric

I see your point. Subsequent eps featuring JC would have to be somehow related to his dilemma or to skills very particular to him.

20. Melakon

He's an Air Force fighter pilot. He might be able to learn how to handle a shuttlecraft.