Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel, DVD

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Jul 18, 2011.

?

How do you rate Captain America: The First Avenger?

Poll closed Feb 28, 2012.
  1. A+

34 vote(s)
    19.2%
  2. A

51 vote(s)
    28.8%
  3. A-

34 vote(s)
    19.2%
  4. B+

27 vote(s)
    15.3%
  5. B

15 vote(s)
    8.5%
  6. B-

5 vote(s)
    2.8%
  7. C+

5 vote(s)
    2.8%
  8. C

4 vote(s)
    2.3%
  9. C-

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  1. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel,

Sabastian Stan is claimed to have signed on for 6 movies. I'd say Winter Soldier popping up is a strong possibility.

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Weekend estimates are in.

1. Captain America: The First Avenger - $65.8 million
    2. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part Two - $48.1 million (72% drop)

Cap is the highest-opening comic book movie of the summer, and while its opening tally was only slightly higher than Thor's, its overall attendance was larger because it had no IMAX showings and only 40% of its showings were 3D (compared to Thor's 60%).

Hell yeah! :D

And now I'm ducking back out of the thread because I haven't seen this yet. Bye! :lol:

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Woah, does that meaning their planing on trying to do up to 6 CA movies? Or should we expect him to be another crossover character like Coulson and Nick Fury?

4. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

I have no idea. If the report is true, they probably just wanted to lock him into something "just in case".

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Based on what I read on wikipedia, I could see him popping up as a mysterious assassin in non-CA movies leading up a big reveal in the next Captain America movie.

6. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Looks like the movie will do fine.

Marvel's long-term strategy for these movies is, I think, for the first films to earn a bit of cash (obviously they wouldn't object to them being bigger) and get good press, then for The Avengers to crank up interest in the characters among people who loved Iron Man but haven't gone to see the others.

7. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I saw the movie yesterday, I really enjoyed it.

Chris Evans was fantastic. The CGI showing skinny Steve and buff Steve was amazing, I have to say seamless, I couldn't tell which was real or fake, or if both were fake, it was just completely believable.

I really enjoyed Steve's story and the build-up to entering the program. I thought the writers showed a lot of guts admitting that Steve Rogers had self-esteem problems and was pushing to get into the military not just for altruistic reasons but prove himself and to stop being bullied.

I was also impressed by the way they put the new Captain on display, used him to sell bonds, had him in a "whimpy" costume. I was impressed with the scene of the "real" soldiers making fun of him and calling for the girls to come out. This was realistic, it made even the new, buff Steve Rogers look weak. It took a lot of character building and encouragement from Peggy to finally get Steve to the point where he believed in himself, it wasn't just the Super Solder Serum.

All kinds of bits of this story were excellent, like him jumping on the grenade in training. To some extent they were a lot of cliches, but they were put together in believable way to show us Steve Rogers and show us him developing into a hero, not just telling us.

Compared to other films, I really believed in this story more than any other film adaptation I've seen. This character developement was extremely well done.

The period setting in WWII was excellent, and much of the film reminded me of Sky Captain, a film I enjoyed immensely. I would be happy to see a few Captain America films set in this era, unfortunately it seems they limited the possibilities.

The chemistry between Steve and Peggy was brilliant, I believed in their love before they did. The ending was truly sad, and if they'd cut the modern day scenes from the beginning and end, this would have been a well written tragedy. As it is, I left the movie heart-broken for Peggy, who is likely passed away by 2011 and lived her life saddened by Steve's death, and I felt how badly Steve must feel thinking of that.

Similar chemistry between Steve and Bucky, a great pairing that was so important to the story. Compare to "Batman and Robin", sure a much poorer film overall, but just to say that they completely missed out on the point that a partnership like that, the men have to be close, they have to believe in each other.

The Howling Commandos were awesome and I have hopes that someone in their right mind will do some period WWII action films with them.

Reflecting on some earlier comments here, I felt the Skull was decently fleshed out, he had ample screen time. I mean, a megalomaniac is a megalomaniac, the character is going to be written a certain way, so yes he is a bit cartoony, but compared to, say, Voldemort in the Harry Potter series I felt the Skull was portrayed well.

I don't miss Cap fighting Nazi's, the way the story was written makes full logical sense. It wouldn't make any sense to just send Cap to the front lines, and story-wise it takes away from the fact that the Nazi's were mostly ordinary soldiers who were fought and defeated by ordinary soldiers. That isn't what this story was about and I'm glad.

I felt the advanced Hydra guns were more like grenade launchers, high power, low rate of fire and minimal accuracy, very good against armor or tightly packed groups, not so good against fast moving individuals. I would think that the Skull had the "best" weapon for himself, an expensive finely tooled weapon that was lighter and better all around, but too difficult to mass produce.

I saw the movie in 3d, not out of preference but because we wanted a particular showtime and didn't want to wait 2 more hours for the 2d. I felt the 3d effects were better done than other recent films I've seen, I'll compare it to Thor which seems most fair. In Thor, I felt the use of 3d was uneven, and it worked in the Asgard scenes but was useless in a lot of the Earth scenes. In Captain America it seemed like they filmed it a lot more conciously of the 3d camera, even scenes like in the pub it came across more naturally. Some shots in particular were amazing, there was one shot of the shield bouncing back off a tank where I actually ducked out of reflex, it was VERY realistic. On the whole I could live without 3d but this movie was a good example of decent application of it.

ETA: I went without knowing any spoilers or knowing about any Easter Eggs. I'm pretty sure that was the Human Torch on display at the Exhibition. I didn't really notice anything else. Well, I guess Howard Stark counts, but that's a bit obvious. Curious to know what I missed.

Oh, and one more detail. As a Canadian, I like America just fine, but I'm indifferent to American patriotism, so I wasn't sure how this would come across in the movie. I thought they handled it great, it was true to life for the 40's, but a bit tongue in cheek and it's clear that Steve Rogers had ambivalent feelings about the whole thing. It seemed like for him, wearing the Stars and Stripes was kind of taking it back from the propagandateers. Over all I thought it was very well handled.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  8. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I gave it an A+ the casting was perfect, the sets were HUGE, the WWII action was rousing and that final act on the Valkyre was AMAZING. A totality awesome movie and I LOVED the Avengers teaser.

9. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Montage of WWII battle moments

In discussions about a sequel the question was posed if we would have a chance to see more WWII Steve given the movies ending. The answer was simply yes.

I think what could happen is that the montage moments where they are taking out Hydra facilities(Peggy is seen removing them from the map) is where not only could we see more WWII, but Peggy and the Commandoes. Can't recall if Bucky dies pre or post montage.

This would allow for us to have the stand alone Cap movies in WWII, if they saw fit, and present day Cap in The Avengers movies.

10. Worfmonger

Worfmonger Commander Red Shirt

Solid B+, damned close to an A-. I've always thought Chris Evans was an excellent choice for Steve, and Hayley Atwell was a fantastic Peggy, not to mention voluptuous and smokin' hot! I think the script suffered a bit in the snark department, there were some odd editing choices that made me raise an eyebrow, and as mentioned earlier it felt a little rushed. Still, easily the best big-budget flick of the summer so far. I'm looking to The Avengers with cautious optimism.

Peace

Worfmonger

11. CaptainCanada

From what they said, they'd do sequels in the present but with flashbacks linking it to past World War II adventures, like the comics frequently do. Kevin Feige said they purposefully left room for other non-HYDRA-related missions in Steve's wartime career.

12. blueskin

blueskin Ensign Red Shirt

Well he cannot get drunk. :confused::lol::lol:

13. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

If that's true, it's kinda strange that Cap and the gang would take time out from, you know, stopping Red Skull from blowing up the U.S. and taking over the world to go off on a bunch of other missions.

Seems like that would kind of take precedence. lol

14. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Niether can Wolverine. :techman:

15. LaxScrutiny

According to Dr Erskine, he heals at 4x the rate of any normal human, which is pretty superhuman.

The movie shows him, among other things, grabbing full grown men, at least 200lbs with gear, and with one hand tossing them around like inflatable sex dolls. He pulls the bonds holding Bucky to the table apart like they are paper.

The movie has made a character that's a little below Spiderman in strength and a little below Wolverine in healing, but he's plenty superpowered.

I don't have a problem with that, but he's obviously got more than the stats from the Marvel Super Heroes RPG.

16. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Not "take time off"
    "Expand on the other Hydra missions" that are seen as montage during this movie. That would've covered several weeks if not months.

17. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I don't think he's superpowered at all he's just meant to be the ultimate human even the Red Skull appeared to be stronger than Rogers though being able to dent Cap's original shield.

18. CaptainCanada

He is superpowered; his abilities far exceed what a normal person could do.

19. LaxScrutiny

Cap and the Skull were supposed to have had the same powers, if I understood the dialogue correctly.

20. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

That doesn't make him superpowered Usain Bolt can run the 100M dach in 9.58 seconds no normal human can do that either but it doesn't make him superhuman.