'The Killing' cancelled by AMC

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Dream, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/07/27/killing-canceled/

Oh well.

2. MadOnion

MadOnion Lieutenant

They put off a lot of people by jerking us around on the resolution. First it was supposed to be at the end of season one, then they said it would be at the beginning of season two, then they dragged it out all the way through season two. I stuck with it because I wanted to know the answers, but I didn't find it to be all that satisfactory.

3. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I noticed that no one here even bothered to start a season two discussion topic for the show. Did people give up on it that fast?

4. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I decided two minutes after the season one finale finished airing that I was dropping the show. The season had started off pretty well, but quickly became very uneven.

5. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

I gave up on the show the second the season one finale ended. The show started out with a lot of promise, but quickly became lead, cops do something stupid, dead end, new lead, cops do something stupid, dead end.

6. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I watched the second season. I did check to see if there was a discussion thread because I wanted to make fun of the show a bit, but I didn't care enough to actually start one myself.

"Oh well" sums up my feelings about the cancellation as well.

7. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

The only thing I'll miss about the show is the locations. I love rainy weather.

8. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Wow, has any other show fallen from grace so quickly? :eek:

9. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I DVRd the show meaning i was a few weeks behind. I was starting to get frustrated with the red herrings and dead ends but was willing to watch until the end of season 1 on the promise that it was a self contained season. When I heard they ended up not revealing the killer at the end of the season 1 I gave up.

10. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The end was horrible.

And they had these weird detours because they didn't have enough story to fill up a season.

It was really weird seeing Rosie all safe and sound on Stargate Universe, where we supposed to be sad she's dead and whatnot.

11. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

‘The Killing’ Cancelled By AMC: No Season 4

12. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

It was never "supposed" to reveal the killer at the end of season 1. That is simply what many fans thought "should" have happened.
    Yes, there was a discussion thread for season 2.
    Again, there was no promise that the show would reveal the killer at the end of season 1.

The show wasn't a procedural in which there is DNA all over the place, hairs on carpets, skin under fingernails, etc., which lead cops to the killer usually at the end of one hour. The Killing showed cops making mistakes (more like real life cops) and following bogus leads until they finally get it right, somewhat more like real life.

I thought it was a great show and enjoyed all 3 seasons. The 2 lead actors, Joel Kinnaman and Miriells (sp?) Enos are remarkable and have off the charts chemistry together.

I was sorry to hear the show was once again cancelled by AMC and I can only hope it ends up on another network.

BTW, the reveal of who the killer is at the end of season 2 is well worth the wait.

13. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

^

They don't reveal the first season killer 'til the end of the second season?

Screw that, makes me glad I dropped the show after the first season finale.

14. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Why does it matter that the killer gets revealed in episode 26 rather in episode 13?

15. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Because the show wasn't that good so everyone wanted to ditch after a few episodes, but decided to stay to see the killer. No killer the viewers ditched.

16. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

^

Yeah, that.

The show was freakin' slower than molasses, but I stuck with the first season because I liked the folks in supportin' roles. But when the first season ended with a half dozen cliffhangers/red herrings and no closer to a resolution for the murder since the premiere, I gave up. Felt like the show was just spinnin' its wheels.

You wanna do a show about a murder but not reveal the killer 'til the 26th episode? Fine with me, so long as ya do a 26 episode first season, not two short seasons spread out over how many months...? Screw that noise.

17. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep, what happened if the show was canceled after the 13th episode? Never know the killer.

And I read who the killer was and rolled my eyes, glad I ditched.

In Veronica Mars we didn't figure out who the killer was for 22 episodes, but they had stand alone stories of the week. Plus there was a little comedy. The Killer was decent actors whose characters were acting stupid to stretch out a storyline that wasn't very strong. Plus it always rained and even BSG had more jokes in the show.

18. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The fans "thought" it should happened because the producers allowed them to think that is what would happen.

19. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So if people had no idea what the producers said (I would think most of the viewers aren't online watching the interviews behind the scenes), then there would be no problems?

I don't think it should matter what the producers say, and in fact, they're pretty much obligated to NOT give away what they're doing, so lying or distorting the truth is to be expected. They could claim aliens are behind the whole thing and then reveal something totally different. The work (good or bad) should speak for itself.

Also ironic (looking at your avatar) considering Twin Peaks, with the same basic premise, was never meant to reveal the killer according to Lynch, and when it was, it wasn't until well into the 2nd season. And that show has quite the cult following.

20. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I started this show a while back, and I've got about five episodes left of season 1.

So considering some of the opinions I've read in this thread (sort of...I'm skimming it to avoid spoilers), is it worth continuing? I'd at least like to watch it long enough to learn the killer of the girl from the first season.