2011 NFL Season - A New Game

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by SmoothieX, Aug 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

It's DirecTV, not "Direct TV." I'm sorry for being particular, but with a journalism background, the typography makes me twitch. :lol:

In any event, tighr, the Jaguars have a lease which ties them to their stadium for the better half of the next two decades. I have no doubt that a team will move (and fail, again) to the Los Angeles market, but I'd put more money on the Vikings, especially since Roger Goodell has convinced Zygi Wilf to pull the Bud Selig move of "if you don't give us the money, we'll leave."

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Wouldn't the Chargers make the most sense? They're stuck in a crap stadium, they wouldn't have to move very far from their base of support, and their moving to LA wouldn't force a possible geographical realignment of divisions.

3. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So I'm seeing news reports that Tyler Palko is starting again for the Chiefs on Sunday. Not that it really matters now, but JFC you pick up Orton and the remainder of his contract just to have him set on the bench, second behind the QB who just turned the ball over 3 times in 3 plays the week before? :confused::wtf:

Sometimes I think Haley and Pioli are going out of their way to antagonize/totally confuse the fan base. They're lowering ticket prices next year but I'm thinking they're gonna have to pay ME to get me to renew my tickets.

4. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

I'd imagine that since Palko has been on the team all season, he knows the plays.

Orton, who's been on the team for one week, does not.

This is a bigger deal than you think it is.

5. gh4chiefs

Yeah but what good is him "knowing the plays" when he can't execute them? The Raiders got Palmer up and going within two weeks and he was completely out of football. But Orton can't get in there? We'll have to agree to disagree.

But as I said, other than being a curiousity, it doesn't really matter. They're playing for draft position now, so the longer they start Palko, the better off they'll be. Just don't understand why they bothered in the first place when they absolutely REFUSED to spend more money in free agency when it MIGHT have actually mattered.

6. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^I will try to find the article again, but there was a report/ speculation that KC picked up Orton with no real intention of playing him. Rather, it was a move meant to fuck with the QB-needing contenders like the Texans and Bears. Wouldn't surprise me a whole lot, actually.

7. tighr

Palmer admitted after that first game that he knew six plays and none of his teammate's names.

But, agree to disagree.

8. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

I read that's why Dallas was reportedly interested in Orton but it doesn't make much sense for KC not to play him at all if Palko totally bombs.

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I can see a similar situation like what happened with Palmer, where they send Palko out but he does such a terrible job that they're pretty much forced to put Orton in sooner than they wanted to.

10. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

The name Palko reminds me of those delicious Japanese breadcrumbs. Sadly, his hair and style of play remind me of Curtis Painter.

And Timby, I will be investing in DirecTV next fall. With an engineering background, I'm just glad I can write a cogent sentence once in a while.

11. gh4chiefs

Actually that's kind of what I speculated might have been the motivation, because it just really didn't make a whole lot of sense when they made the move. Especially looking back now when they say they aren't going to start him. On the other hand, not sure what it gains them to F with the other teams, teams not even in their division.

I don't doubt it would be difficult but is it really going to be THAT much worse than Palko. I don't know how many turnovers he ended up with Sunday night, but I do know there was one stretch of the game where he turned ball over on 3 straight plays (fumbled a snap and 2 ints). I'm just not seeing how it can get much worse.

Well since I posted last night, I'm finding out that Haley did make a comment to the effect that Palko will start but Orton "has to be ready to play." So I really don't know what they're doing right now, but I'm not sure they do either.

12. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

I pretty much think we will see Orton in the second half of the game on Sunday. Of course we could see Josh Mcowen in the second half of the game if the Bears O line cannot protect Caleb.

13. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Vikings are releasing Donovan McNabb. Any takers?

14. Timby

Oh, fuck me, don't give Martz any ideas.

15. gh4chiefs

Oh hell why not? He can ride the pine with Orton.

16. tighr

This is the kind of thing that makes the trade deadline crappy. Minnesota has no obligation (beyond freeing themselves of the salary and keeping other teams out of it) to release McNabb, so they do it on good conscience. Meanwhile, a team that needs him gets to pick him up for essentially pennies, and Minnesota could really have used a trade or a draft pick.

So if Chicago does pick him up and use him to win games, they benefit and Minnesota doesn't.

17. Timby

Realtalk, he'd probably fit in with the Texans, since they have a monster of an offensive line and they need a quarterback not named Jake Delhomme for the rest of the season.

18. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

If he didn't have a huge contract, even in his broken down state McNabb would be an improvement over McCown. I just hope Hanie doesn't get injured. If he does, the Bears go winless the rest of the year.

19. Timby

I don't know ... I think McCown might at least know how to spike a ball.

20. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Mike Shanahan and Gary Kubiak are buddies. I'm sure Mike has some less than stellar things to say about McNabb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.