New Arrested Development! (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Kestra, May 26, 2013.

1. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

Since the OP of the other thread wanted to keep it spoiler free, I thought this would be a good place to discuss the new season of Arrested Development. It's a unique situation because they are releasing all the eps at once, and not everyone is going to watch them all at once. So please try to use a little discretion and use spoiler tags if you are talking about something that is much later on. Or just do a quick title like "Episode Five" so people will know to skip past that bit if they haven't gotten there yet.

I'm through the first episode so far and I have mixed feelings about it because of what they did to Michael. There were still definitely laugh out loud moments for me though. I felt like a lot of it was callbacks to previous moments, some of which weren't necessary.

2. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

There were some funny moments in the first episode, but overall I would call it just ok. The voting joke went on way too long. I can see already that the individual character episodes are going to be a weakness. Michael was always his best as the straight man to the other crazy characters. When you focus entirely on him you get a whole episode of him being oblivious (his most common character flaw) which starts to grate after a bit.

3. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

On episode 7, I just had to stop because I was laughing so much at the repeat use of "Hello Darkness My Old Friend".

4. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I think I've finished 5 episodes now. I'm not sure what to think just yet. Whereas the previous seasons had episodes that stood well on their own, this season it is clear that the episodes are much more interconnected. A lot of the jokes and stories don't pan out until a later episode. For that reason, it is hard to judge whether I like it or not until I've watched all of it.

I can say that so far I also don't like what they've done with Michael's character. I know he was always a bit self-absorbed and oblivious, but now they have taken it to a whole new level. At least before he was still (mostly) honorable and likable. But I'll see where the rest of the episodes go.

Also, I am seriously missing the lack of Gob in these earlier episodes. It's made me realize that perhaps he was the funniest and my favorite character on the show. Even when he's not making an explicit joke, just the way he moves and talks is hilarious. There's not as many laugh out loud moments without him. I am looking forward to the Gob episode (which I think is next for me).

5. Bob The Skutter

I've laughed out loud plenty and I'd say I think it's just as good as any earlier seasons, but I'm through 9 episodes now. Took me about 3 or 4 eps to get in to the new format but I think it's working for me.

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I want to be able to sit and watch all of these in one sitting, so I'm hiding until I can do that. Probably Tuesday.

7. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

I'm through episode 7 right now, and had to take a break. Watched the first two last night (and glad I did, because a few Facebook friends were posting quotes almost immediately after they're said... we must have all started right at 12:01!!!)

I would have to say right now the funniest episode is the Tobias episode, but that's to be expected because he's the most oblivious character to the situations around him. I'm noticing a lack of other characters though with this format; not nearly enough Maeby or George Michael so far, and we've only just started seeing GOB. Hope to finish the rest tonight.

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Feral Jesus! :guffaw:

9. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I watched the first three episodes today.

Not sure what to think. So far, it seems uneven.

10. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

I really didn't like Lindsay's episode. Needs more Buster and Gob so far.

11. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

If you think of it as an eight-hour Arrested Development film, it feels a little better. That first episode was bad, though.

12. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

That makes sense, since it's all inter-related.

I agree, the first episode was a mess. Michael seemed totally out of character to me.

13. CaptainWacky

CaptainWacky More than meets the eye Rear Admiral

I'm up to episode nine and it definitely gets a lot better as it goes on. Tobias and GOB episodes have been the highlight so far.

"Daddy needs to get his rocks off."

14. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree that it is uneven. I've watched all of the episodes now. The Lindsay and Tobias episodes were actually my least favorite, with the Gob episodes being the best. Have any of you guys seen the ending yet? If not, I'll use spoiler code.

Okay, so there HAS to be a movie coming next at some point, right? They didn't even try to give any sort of resolution. Let's see, we have Lucille II missing, Buster arrested, Michael and George Michael obviously not on good terms, Gob possibly gay, George Sr. mysteriously turning into a woman, the unresolved Fakeblock thing, who knows what Lindsay and Tobias will end up doing, and as usual the family company is in jeopardy. That's a lot of loose ends.

15. tighr

Yep, just finished the season myself! You forgot:

Maeby arrested, too

George Michael and Faceblock in some kind of Zuckerberg-ish deposition, faced with the possibility of losing all this money, which I found hilarious.

My favorites were the Tobias and GOB episodes, but Buster's was a pleasant surprise. The format does leave it a little uneven, though, especially with the fact that due to 15 episodes, not every character got two. The way things were going, I wasn't sure how they'd resolve it, maybe doing an episode that wasn't focused on an individual, but you gotta give Hurwitz credit for sticking with the format.

Also, I googled it (or blurred searched!), and Isla Fisher is 37! Wow, she looks fantastic.

16. Bob The Skutter

They pretty much had no choice on the format. They were working around the fact most of them were busy with other projects.

17. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

I am watching episode 3 now. Anything with David Cross and Portia de Rossi in it, is good. The first and second episodes were just ok for me.

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  18. tighr

I think the early buzz that you could watch the episodes out of order (something Hurwitz later said is actually not a good idea) wouldn't really work. The first few episodes are clearly setups, and are extremely light on the punchlines. All the real jokes are in the later episodes, informed by your knowledge from the beginning eps. Watching later episodes without having seen the earlier ones spoil some the setup. I'm gonna let this simmer for a while, then go back for a rewatch.

19. Bob The Skutter

Just finished it. Really enjoyed the series, hope the movie or season 5 is forthcoming.

20. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The more episodes I watch (I made it through 7 yesterday), the less "out of character" he seems and the more "desperate" he appears. I mean, yes, he is out of character, but that's because of what he's gone through (I'm guessing) and not poor writing.

I do agree that it takes a while for it to start getting good. Probably about the same time this new batch of episodes is able to start relying on its own on-going jokes (such as "coincidence").

And, wow, I got the joke right away, but apparently some people are upset about the "Scenestealer Pro Trail Version" watermark. I guess it's just a reminder that Arrested Development's humor is very meta, as I assume the joke is a reference to the numerous people who used similar software to rip DVDs for things like YouTube or to create Gifs.