Lunar Eclipse Time Lapse Video

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by The Cutest of Borg, Apr 17, 2014.

1. The Cutest of Borg

The Cutest of Borg Vice Admiral Admiral

The other night I filmed the lunar eclipse and I've uploaded a time lapse video you so can see the entire 3 hour event in a couple of minutes. Hope you enjoy it...

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J2BfZWyEbk[/yt]

2. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Awesome! Thank you for uploading it! I wanted to watch it, but we had snow and rain all day, and you couldn't see the Moon at any point. So thank you, that was cool! :D

3. The Cutest of Borg

We were blessed with clear skies and 65 degrees. It was a gorgeous night for stargazing!

4. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thanks. I set my alarm so I could get up and see the eclipse. When the alarm went off I thought 'no way" and rolled over and went back to sleep.

5. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Nicely done :) I like how smooth it is.

We unfortunately couldn't see it here due to weather. It was snowing. Our area hasn't had a good track record for astronomical events as of late.

Would you mind if I showed this to my local astronomy club?

6. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

That was very cool, thanks for sharing! Like others, my view was obscured by a snowstorm (seriously spring, WTF).

7. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

Nice! Thanks so much for sharing this with us. :)

8. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

I had two cameras all set to go to capture something like this and the weather spoiled it. In fact I haven't seen any photos from the lower section of New Zealand so it looks like most of us southerners missed out.

Great job on the time lapse.

9. Owain Taggart

Yeah, in the astronomical world, when you're prepared for something, it seems the likelihood for the weather to be bad increases. Buy a new telescope? Four months of bad weather! A major astronomical event is on the horizon? How's that cloud cover working out for you?

We managed to see the transit of Venus a couple of years ago. It was quickly clouding over and our only chance was to see it through sucker holes (holes in the clouds), and a half hour later, it had started pouring. Since then we haven't had very good luck in seeing anything in our area.

There was a recent occultation that had happened last month, and our local club and several other neighbouring ones were supposed to get together to observe it. Would have required us to travel a bit to get to a prime spot for it due to the predicted trajectory, and the event would have occured at around 4am and only last a few short minutes. And wouldn't you know it, yes, bad weather forced us to cancel.

10. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

There's a solar eclipse in the next 48 hours which NZ will just miss out on - though in saying that we've got a heavy rain warning for the next 48 hours so it's a moot point...

11. The Cutest of Borg

It's so frustrating when you wait years for an event like this, and then mother nature decides to block your view. We always try to catch the various meteor showers each year, and it seems like each time, we wind up with cloud cover.

12. Owain Taggart

The Life of an Astronomer: Clouds.

:lol: