ENTERPRISE on Blu-Ray OFFICIAL Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by LtChange, Oct 6, 2012.

1. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Amazon finally dropped their prices for S4 down to $62.

2. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

3. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

I noticed the Gorn seemed to loose it's green color on the Blu-Ray. Plus it seemed like the Blu-Ray images were a few lines lower than the DVD's.

4. otomo

otomo Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I just picked up the full series off Amazon. Never really watched much of Enterprise back when it aired, I guess I got burned out on Trek at the time and had a pretty knee-jerk reaction to the concept of a prequel after, you know, those other Star movies. The theme song felt so "un-Trek" to me that it really colored my perception badly, and I among others wasn't so happy the show was sexed up (decontamination gel).

However, I started watching the show tonight, just the pilot. It fits modern tv very well, the sexed up bits, while cheesy, aren't overwhelmingly a part of the show. Captain Archer's a darn good character, so's Trip. Not really in love with any of the others yet but maybe that comes later as they get more developed. The effects look good, the plot moved along quickly... I wish I came at this show with a happier attitude when it was on the air! Maybe it would have gotten a couple more seasons. Can't say for sure, haven't gone all the way through it, but the pilot at least is some pretty good stuff.

Happy to see high-def too. I purchased mostly to make a "high-def push" to encourage our friends to continue their trend of remastering the trek series. Everything looks good on my big screen, though a couple spots were still pixelated I noticed.

I see a TON of special features on the first disc (three separate commentaries of the first episode even?!), does this continue? Or is it mainly the opening and then it levels out to the amount on the TNG discs?

5. 80ninjas

80ninjas Ensign Red Shirt

S2, like S2 of TNG, has an hour long roundtable with the main cast on the first disk that's really phenomenal. Like all the sets for TNG, most of the new special features are on the last disk though.

The special features on the Enterprise sets are, IMO, worth the price of admission alone (especially S4). Really great new interviews and, extremely surprisingly, very honest. The new cast and crew interviews aren't shy about being critical of problems in the production, which is a very refreshing change of the normal "glowing praise" you usually see.

Personally, I think the special features on the Enterprise sets were even better than the ones on TNG.

6. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

I've only gotten the last two seasons, but I'd like to get the other two just to get those special features. I'm just not all that fond of the actual seasons. Maybe when the prices really go down.

7. 80ninjas

80ninjas Ensign Red Shirt

S4 has the best special features of all the sets, though the roundtable on S2 was really good. You've already got the best materials, so no reason to rush out and get the other two until the price drops.

8. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love that there's a trailer for Season 4 on TNG "Chain of Command" Blu ray.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLyzVyMAs3I[/yt]

I don't recall seeing it before. It's there after TNG Seasons 6 & 5 plus Unification.

Skippable though, for those who hate lots of ads on the disc start-up.

9. Reeborg

Reeborg Commander Red Shirt

I still don't understand why they would release seasons 3 & 4 without spanish and italian dubbing that were present though on the first two seasons. Does it (significantly) increase cost to add these existing dubbings onto the blu-rays? The missing language options may decrease somehow the potential customer base. I haven't purchased them either because of missing dubbings. The Italian fans are quite disappointed (anyway I am German). I am not sure their made the right marketing choice there. The release of Italian TNG-S6-BD isn't smooth either (S6 in September only). It seems that sales figures for the season-BDs weren't that satisfactory.

10. trekker670

Were seasons 3&4 originally dubbed in those languages? If so, then I'm not sure why they wouldn't included them, since adding them would be relatively simple. If not, then I can understand not including them, since it would require a lot of overhead to record the new language tracks, which is outside the scope of the project.

11. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Per earlier in the thread, yes.

From a technical perspective it's easy, but they still need to pay the performers. Based on sales, it sounds like the first two seasons didn't sell enough in those countries to justify continuing to pay for the tracks.

12. Reeborg

Reeborg Commander Red Shirt

It would seem like that. Anyhow, additional language options is something that increases the value of the product also outside of these countries, especially in Europe, in a time where people learn and like to speak several foreign languages. I have bought TNG-BD (partially) thanks to the additional Japanese audio track that I did not have before. Enterprise S3&4 I did not buy because of missing SPA&ITA (being German myself). Maybe I am not the typical customer (speaking/understanding 5 languages quite well) anyhow the applied policy regarding language dubbings should be at least put into question again by CBS. E.g. leaving out Brasil (with a hugh market potential) and existing excellent language dubbings in Brazilian portuguese seems to be a marketing error in my eyes (at least for the near future).

13. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The VAMs of the Blurays are actually very educating about how a modern TV show is produced, spanning through all departments, what can go wrong and what is high quality. If you want to work in that area of the entertainment industry, you should watch this to learn about it. Media schools should have a look at this content and how they can use it for their students.

14. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

Here is a question to those who own seasons three and four on BD: Is the "commercial break problem" still there as it was on seasons one and two? I'm referring to the abrupt fade outs, which were not there on the DVDs.

15. trekker670

I wasn't aware this was an issue. That's how almost all TV shows are mastered and released. The episodes are structured around these commercial breaks, so scenes will build up to a climax, then fade to commercial, then be resolved when the episode resumes. To remove the fade, while it seems minor, would change the feel of the original episode.

16. Oso Blanco

I know that very well. The thing is that the fade-outs on the BDs are different from the fade-outs on the DVDs. On the DVDs the music faded out slowly or cross faded into the music of the next scene, while on the BDs there sometimes is a very abrupt fade-out that really feels like it was chopped off by an amateur.

Which makes me think that they haven't used the original masters for the BDs, but rather the "prepared for tv" masters that they send out to various tv stations. Maybe the "hard fade-outs" were made especially for tv, so it would be easier to edit commercials into the show.

17. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

To add to the mystery. On the TNG BOBW stand-alone BD, quick audio fades are used throughout between acts. Yet, the individual BOBW episodes across the Season 3/4 box sets have the regular fades in place!

Obviously, they didn't use different masters in that instance, meaning the quick fades were deliberately added to the stand-alone disc.

18. Oso Blanco

No that's odd ... can you point me at a specific example? I'd like to check if the it's the same on the feature length movie box dvd version.

19. asl

asl Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Should I hold out for a re-packaged Enterprise Complete Collection, like we saw with TOS?

20. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

That's my plan.

No rush as the video quality of Enterprise is outstanding.