Spnsored satium names that make sense

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Morpheus 02, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I generally hate sponsored Stadium names...they seem too tacky and unnatural.

I'm from Chicago, and i refuse to call it US Cellular Field. The closest i will come is US Sell-OUT Field.

But on the other hand, we have the United Center. That's due to United Airlines. But everytime I hear it, it actually sounds good...unity in the diverse city of Chicago. Wow!

It's sounds as natural (or even better) than Soldier Field or Wrigley Field.

Are there any other sponsored sports stadiums that flow as well as the United Center?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  2. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Philadelphia has two potentially nice sound stadium names - Citizen's Field and Lincoln Stadium, but, of course, those aren't their names ;)

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm surprised that Starbucks hasn't tried to get in on this.

Morpheus, are you simply angry that the Sox park is named anything other than (new) Comiskey Park? (I was at a Royals/Sox game a few months ago and I heard a lot of the fans call it Comiskey)

Me, I like Citi Field. I mean I love the park itself, of course. ;) But the name itself just seems kind of, well, neat. Almost like you're saying "City field". (And before anyone else asks - no, Citigroup bloody well did NOT use bailout funds to pay for the naming rights. :rolleyes: )

4. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

One of the clubs in the Austrian football (soccer) league named their stadium "no-worries-arena" (because of some life-insurance company or so). ;)

5. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

Plus, the way they are playing this year, you can also easily call it Shitti Field.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

That joke wasn't funny the first 1,000,000,000 times I heard it either. :p

7. Commander Vaughn

Commander Vaughn Vice Admiral Admiral

I've always enjoyed The Palace of Auburn Hills. It's not a name you hear everyday. The Detroit Pistons play their home games there, for those of you who did not know.

8. Pegaritaville

Pegaritaville Vice Admiral Admiral

Not real thrilled with any corporate names, but I guess most teams will go for the easy money. That said, having a Target Center (Timberwolves) and a Target Field (Twins) makes sense, since Target is based in MN. And the name is kind of fitting for a sports facility.

It's a good think the Xcel Center (Wild) is such a great place to watch hockey, because I still think of Xcel Energy as NSP.

9. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

both of the names the colesium in nashville have fit in a way.
    the earlier adelphia..considering one of the cities nicknames as athens of the south.
    the current lp field even though it is for something totally different fits the music city nick.

10. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Here in Phoenix, we used to have America West Arena. I liked it. Even though it was named after an airline, it didn't sound like it. But then they merged with another airline, so now it's U.S. Airways Center.

Wells Fargo Arena isn't so bad. Way better than Jobing.com Arena.

I think Chase Field is a terrible name for a baseball stadium. It implies bad fielding.

For years, the Arizona Cardinals complained about playing in a college facility like Sun Devil Stadium. Now, they have their own state-of-the-art professional football facility called... University of Phoenix Stadium.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

One name that does not make a ton of sense is the Broncos' "Invesco Field at Mile High". What the hell does that even mean? :confused: I mean, I know what Invesco is, but shouldn't that be it? Mile High Stadium is long gone. Why keep the name around since it's a different stadium altogether?

12. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

^There was a public uproar about the name, so they found a way to keep Mile High in the name while still having a corporate sponsor.

13. JonathonWally

JonathonWally Admiral Admiral

At the meadowlands we have "The IZOD Center" doesn't sounds to bad.

In our Jersey accents it's pronounced "It's Odd" so, it works.

14. Mr. Laser Beam

It still sounds stupid. :p

If the public raised that much of a stink, they should have told Invesco to take a hike so they could have the new stadium with the same name as the old.

15. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

And who would replace the revenue that the stadium name brought in? You do realize new stadiums cost a lot, right?

16. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

That, to me, is like "The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim".

17. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i think it's a ecent compromise...Those who like the old name have it; corporate lackeys have their name. So we can all be happy.

It would be nice if the Wrigley Company actually bought Wrigley Field (or sponsored it) -- the field is still called by its classic name, and the corporation gets their sponsorship!

18. Mr. Laser Beam

Exactly. At least 'Anaheim Angels' was accurate...the stadium isn't *in* L.A. so it makes no sense to have L.A. in the name.

Although the name 'California Angels' was the one that sounded the best. :)

19. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, California Angels is good.

The (probably soon not to be located anywhere near) Phoenix Coyotes don't play in Phoenix either. They're in Glendale, so sorta the same thing.

20. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    ^And that used to be the problem with the Cardinals. (Well, a problem. The Cardinals have too many to list.) They were called the Phoenix Cardinals even though both their stadium & their practice facility were in Tempe. So they changed their name to the Arizona Cardinals, then it didn't matter if they played in Tempe or Glendale. (However, the Arizona Diamondbacks could get more specific if they wanted to, since they've always played in Phoenix.)