February/March challenge - Independence

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Count Zero, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Hi all!

As today marks the anniversary of Barlow's Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace this contest's theme will be independence. While Barlow used it as a political term don't hesitate to explore it in all its variants and more figuratively.
    Your story should be original work (i.e. not posted or published so far) and it should be finished when you post it. You need to post a link to your story in this thread to participate in the challenge.
    Apart from that, everything goes, original or canon characters, alternate universes, short story or lengthy saga, it's up to you.

As February is so short and we're already a week into it this contest will also cover the month of March. The deadline is March 28th 23:59 CET so that we'll have enough time for voting and starting the next challenge on time.

2. Count Zero

That bad, huh?

3. jerriecan

jerriecan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Not bad at all! I haven't had much time to read lately, let alone write something for a contest. I have an idea - hopefully I can find the time and energy to put fingers to keyboard. :)

4. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

I'm in thinking about it mode. Plus I shovel snow every day now, or so it seems. Perhaps I'll write something that takes place on Andoria.

5. Saito S

Saito S Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not at all! In fact, it's an interesting enough idea that it's got me thinking about trying to put something together, for the first time since... well, the ONLY time I've ever submitted anything here, which was about a year ago. The theme coupled with the lack of restriction on length (as that other story showed, confining myself to 10k words or less when writing a story is... just not happening, more often than not :lol:), and the extra long period in which to write something, is enticing.

My main stumbling block is what I mentioned in the thread that followed my story submission back then: I just don't know if I want to take the time to write Trek, as opposed to putting that time and energy into original works. So I'm not sure. I'm assuming that "original or canon characters, alternate universes, short story or lengthy saga, it's up to you" still means "set in some recognizably Star Trek setting", heh.

Now that's writing what you know! :D

6. Count Zero

Well, more or less. I understand what you're saying but I do think there's a lot of leeway. Vast corners of the Trekverse are quite unexplored. I think that e.g. both entries for last month, while taking place in the Trekverse, could also easily stand as original works with a few changes. Anyway, I hope you'll enter something. I enjoyed your last story.

7. Saito S

Saito S Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Fair point! And as you say, the January stories (which were both very well done, by the way! Kudos to you and Cobalt Frost) essentially did this; Cobalt's especially since it was about a completely original race without even a mention of any established Trek lore, but yours as well if you simply changed "Romulan" and "Reman" to something else. So that's definitely something to ponder as I think about what I might try to write...
    Thanks! :)

8. Cobalt Frost

Cobalt Frost Captain Captain

Cobalt Frost in Phineas & Ferb's backyard
    My entries do tend to presuppose a familiarity with my fic 'verse as established in my other entries and story posts...

9. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm working on something. It's in the very early stages--I have a little bit of an outline, some notes, and about two paragraphs. But I just wanted to make sure that I understood the rules. This will be my first piece of fiction for the site. I hope I get it done in time. I'm very excited, I haven't done any creative writing in nearly 10 years. So this should be interesting.

All I have to do is submit my piece of work in this thread, right? And I am allowed to just make up an alien species, correct? I'm not even sure if Starfleet will be in it. I don't know yet where this is going. Does it have to have established lore in it?

10. jespah

You'll need to make a separate topic for your story. I'll leave it to Count Zero to hammer out the remainder. :)

Welcome to our mighty band of siblings. ;)

11. Count Zero

As jespah pointed out, you have to post your fic in a separate thread and a link to it here in this one.
    Your story should take place in the Trekverse but Starfleet doesn't have to be in it. Original characters and original aliens are perfectly all right.

12. HaventGotALife

13. HaventGotALife

Thank you for the welcome and the information.

14. Count Zero

Yes, of course. That's why the monthly contest was created in the first place - to get feedback on one's writing and to hone one's skills. It can take a while nowadays, though, so don't be impatient. :)

15. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Looking over my ship and crew lists, I've decided I fancy having a little play about with the Peregrine crew (first seen during my Talarian Incursion shorts).

I will have to give it a think and see what I come up with before the end of the month.

16. Cobalt Frost

Cobalt Frost Captain Captain

Cobalt Frost in Phineas & Ferb's backyard
    Phooey.. stuck for an ending.

17. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Use Janeway's reset button :lol:

18. jespah

Explosions and sehlats.

19. jespah

20. Count Zero

Two entries already. And there are still almost 3 weeks to go.