Helen Noel, now there was a chassis

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Delta Vega, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Delta Vega

Delta Vega Commodore Commodore

Watched "Dagger of the Mind" for the first time in years last night, had forgotten what a good story this was, and top marks to the guy who played Van Gelder.

The Science Officer, Noel, would have been a good regular cast member and the question has to be asked.

Why wasnt she seen again ?

2. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

She was my favorite female guest star for TOS. Her acting was good, but her role was limited. Still, she was the sweetest eye candy ever, for me... although there were others who came as close runner-ups!

Marianna Hill had only small guest roles on various other shows during the '66-67 years, with only one small role in '68 (see IMDB). 1969 was busy for her, though. So, she could definitely have appeared in seasons 1 and 2 of Star Trek. Her character was alive and well after "Dagger of the Mind", so... but in the 1st Season we had Yeoman Rand. Dr. Noel would have upstaged her. I'll bet there would have been a messy contract dispute if Hill was brought on board as a regular.

But yes... if the Dr. Noel character was a regular, it would have definitely added to the Star Trek experience. And we would have had some good romantic tension for Kirk. She's on board, but he can't fraternize with her, yet he still longs for her.

3. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

Funny how Rand was allowed to cozy up to Kirk (see the first Romulan attack on the Enterprise in "Balance of Terror") yet Dr. Noel was considered "forbidden fruit".

4. Trevacious

Trevacious Captain Captain

Wow, check it out. I never knew it was THIS good to be film editor Bruce Schoengarth!

[​IMG]

5. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

IIRC, the part of Noel was originally written for Rand.

As for why the character never showed up again. it was pretty rare for any of the love interests or villains to repeat in Star Trek. Most were conceived as one off.

6. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was that way with pretty much every prime time drama of the era. No major character could have a continuing romance, so they could have guest actresses as occasional love interests. I'm sure that had something to do with how screwed up my sexual attitudes were in my teen years - hey, Kirk, Jim West and James Bond had a new babe every week, why can't I?

(Real answer: because I was a nerd who couldn't put two coherent words together around pretty girls)

7. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

At least it wasn't Bonanza, where involvement with ( especially marriage) a Cartwright was the kiss of death! Now that would put you off relationships!! ;)

8. alchemist

alchemist Captain Captain

I wish I could show you the rest of this series...

But on another note, I'm sure that Bruce's children are happy that their dad is being noticed and remembered.

9. 7thsealord

7thsealord Captain Captain

True, but marriages in TOS always seemed to end badly as well.

10. Captain Tracy

Captain Tracy Commander Red Shirt

Besides, if you were KIRK, would you really ever get any work done with babe on-board?!!?!?

SPOCK: (over intercom) Captain, the ship has been sitting stationary for three days now, and I must remind you we are scheduled to deliver medical and food supplies to the research outpost on Gamma Omicron IV.

KIRK: (sleepily) ...yeah,... whatever.... kirk,.. out.
    :lol:

11. 7thsealord

7thsealord Captain Captain

Not like there was a shortage of attractive females on the Enterprise anyhow.

12. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, and you think you can leave it hanging like that?

More, more, more, more ...

:)

13. CaptainMatt

CaptainMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Woweeee as Christopher Walken once said on Saturday Night Live. :techman:

Having said that imagine Rand in that role. Always loved that blonde yeamon. Wasn't in enough of Trek for my tastes.

14. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Great, great photo. I also wonder what direction Trek would have taken if Yeoman Rand had stuck around. I read Grace Lee Whitney's autobiography and would like to know who she refers to when she discusses her ouster from the series.

15. CaptainMatt

It is a mystery that continues to the present day as far as I am aware.

16. Stompy

Stompy Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

17. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

Marianna Hill is living proof of how tough it is to make good in Hollywood. Despite being an excellent actress and drop dead gorgeous she never really could break through. I seem to remember that she was teaching acting for a day job. She still looked gorgeous in the most recent picture that I saw of her, by the way. But if someone that beautiful and talented couldn't break into the "A" list it should be a caution for anyone who wants to make it in showbiz.

18. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

Success is indeed a tricky, fickle thing. There are so many that are not talented or pleasing on the eye that do make it and it really makes me wonder how.

19. Rowdy Roddy McDowall

Rowdy Roddy McDowall Commodore Rear Admiral

And those who are attractive but not exceptionally talented are promoted over those who are brunette as opposed to blonde. In my opinion......

20. CaptainMatt

Nice article, thanks for the link!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.