Jenna Signs Up For Movie Role

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by StCoop, Apr 3, 2015.

1. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

2. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd look at Game of Thrones' filming dates for Emilia Clarke's availability and make a determination from that.

It's possible that Coleman's role isn't especially large and she'd only be needed for, at most, a small fraction of the shoot.

3. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

She's reprising her bit part from Captain America ;)

4. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

Exactly. For all we know, her scenes may take 5 days to shoot or something. Plus it's not like British talent can't juggle series and movies at the same time. The Downton Abbey people have been doing that for several years now, and Jenna herself has done multiple projects during her stint on Doctor Who.

5. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Although that doesn't stop some of them from leaving and breaking our hearts anyway! *Eyes Dan Stevens angrily.*

6. StCoop

Still proof of nothing but Jenna has been spotted in London today while the series is busy shooting in Wales. She's also off to a convention in Dallas for three days in May. And hasn't been seen on location since the shooting in Tenerife for the first two episodes back in February.

Are we being set-up for a big surprise...?

(To be honest I always found the idea that she left twice then changed her mind a bit dubious but it would be a good way of setting up a fake-out.)

7. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

I hope not. Clara has been my favorite companion of the series since I started watching in 2005, and Moffat clearly said that Jenna was staying for "all" of the next series (I guess he worded it like that to refute tabloid reports that she was departing halfway through). My mega-crush on her aside, she's had great interplay with both her Doctors and I want to see 12 and Clara interact without the angst or "distance" between them that characterized some of series 8.

8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Rule #1 Moffat lies!

9. StCoop

So Jenna was finally spotted on location last week for the first time in months. But there's a clip from the readthrough for the currently shoting episodes at the offical website. Three guesses who isn't there. Something's going on...

10. Lakenheath 72

Lakenheath 72 Commodore Commodore

I wouldn't jump to conclusions.

The revived Doctor Who has episodes where the companion or companions are not in the story. It's possible that Coleman is either working on another project or is on vacation, for the week or two she is off.

11. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    True. And, honestly, isn't Clara about due for a companion-lite episode? All of the other companions have had one. Rose had "Love & Monsters." Martha had "Blink." Donna had "Midnight" (and isn't in "The Stolen Earth" as much as you might think). Amy & Rory had "The Lodger," "A Christmas Carol," "Closing Time," and "The Doctor, the Widow, & the Wardrobe." Clara was gone for about the first half of "The Crimson Horror" but hasn't really had an entire episode off during her run so far.

12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Mummy on the Orient Express was considered the companion-lite episode of season 8, and indeed both it and Flatline were filmed simultaneously since there weren't very many scenes in either episode where both Capaldi and Coleman were together.

Technically speaking, Rory didn't exist in The Lodger.

13. The Wormhole

While I know it's typically frowned upon to write two posts in a row in a certain thread, it's been nearly 24 hours, and I've just learned something new to consider in the speculation of Clara's future on the show.

Specifically, back cover blurbs and front cover images of this year's batch of Twelfth Doctor novels have been released. Three novels due out in the fall. While Clara is in two of them, she is not in Big Bang Generation by Gary Russell. That is she is not on the cover, or mentioned in the blurb. Now while it's true the novel Silhouette from last year's batch did something similar but still had Clara in the novel, that at least still had the bit on the cover stating the novel featured the Doctor as played by Peter Capaldi and Clara as played by Jenna Coleman. However, the blurbs as posted on this site which do include that part, omit Coleman from Big Bang Generation.

At the very least, I'd say the evidence is starting to mount up suggesting Clara will at least be absent for a portion of the season.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  14. StCoop

I'm wondering if she's going to end up travelling with Missy at the end of the opening two-parter, which would would suggest that the titles of both episodes refer to her.

She's certainly going to miss another week's shooting in May, travelling to Dallas for a three day Convention and back again.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  15. Allyn Gibson

Except for the final line -- "An original novel featuring The Twelfth Doctor, as played by Peter Capaldi" -- the Doctor isn't directly named in the blurb, either. I'd presume that he's "Doc," but I can't say for sure. :)

Gary Russell writing an Ocean's Eleven-style heist book. *facepalm*

Seriously, though, when I saw that the book takes place in 2015 and one of the characters is named "Legs," my first thought was, "Is that meant to be Amy? She and Rory are still around, living life absent the Doctor." I got momentarily excited -- Amy and Rory meeting the twelfth Doctor out of sequence -- and then I realized that's probably never happening.

16. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

That works if Amy doesn't know he's the Doctor, or she's learned enough from traveling with the Eleventh Doctor and River Song to know what 'spoilers' are for when telling the Eleventh Doctor stuff.

17. The Wormhole

Except, should the Twelfth Doctor somehow meet Amy and Rory before their fateful trip to New York, you'd think he'd be inclined to if not prevent it, find a way for them to be able to leave the 1930s after the fact. It can't be any harder than shifting Gallifrey to a pocket universe, can it?

18. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

They can leave just fine. They aren't stuck in New York. They are stuck in that they have to be buried there. Time is messed up in that region preventing the TARDIS and a Time Lord like the Doctor from going there (he's said before he can feel when things should not be messed with. Example is that Captain Jack felt wrong to him by Utopia.)

The other half of the fixed point is that Amy wrote that she hadn't seen (the 11th Doctor) by the time she wrote that novel. We also know they adopted a son during or just in the aftermath of World War II from Rory's letter to his father. However there are lots of things that could still happen in those fifty or sixty year before they died.

I still speculate that old ma Amy was waiting around New York in 1970 to pick up a newly regenerated toddler known as Melody Pond.

19. StCoop

And in another twist Jenna has had to cancel her appearance in Dallas at the end of the month. The reason given; her filming commitments to Doctor Who and 'Me Before You'. (Which has already started shooting, as of last week.)

So if she's doing both at the same time, then by definition DW can't be her full-time job. I know people have suggested that she might only have a small part in it but she's playing the main character's sister, which is actually one of the main supporting roles.

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  20. Allyn Gibson

Michael J. Fox famously filmed Family Ties during the week and Back to the Future (the first one) on the weekends. They wouldn't downsize his role on the sitcom to afford him time to film the movie, and they structured his shoot on Back to the Future in such a way to maximize his two days per week on set.

I am not saying that Jenna is as important to this film as Fox was to BTTF, but there's nothing particularly weird about this situation, nor does it mean that Jenna is no longer full-time with Who. If the producers cast Jenna knowing that she had commitments for Doctor Who, then they almost certainly set up the filming schedule to accomodate that.