The Violence of 1x25 "Conspiracy"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by JTShanks, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

So an honest plea for peaceful coexistence is turned down because the guy with a mouth full of bugs has trouble articulating it with a sufficiently pleasant tone of voice?!?

It's not as if the aliens actually killed anybody, that we know of. Yes, the Horatio blew up, but while the story of "extreme neglect" probably wasn't 100% accurate, it's quite likely that the explosion was the overreaction of the crew to what they incorrectly perceived as a threat.

Timo Saloniemi

2. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

It was obviously an attempt to do something provocative and unexpected, which of course is very unlike Star Trek.

One of the best episodes of the series, really.And if you buy the "peaceful coexistence" line I'll sell you a bridge.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  3. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I might have bought it if the aliens had also exhibited a willingness to leave their hosts upon request.

Oh, and if BugQuinn hadn't tossed Our Heroes around.

4. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Genesis is nowhere near as scary as Conspiracy. For me, that is.

5. Sistrin

Sistrin Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

My reservation with this episode relates to how rushed the plot was. I thought it would have been more effective had it been a cliff-hanger. It was a nice idea, just not developed enough.

As for the violence, in context of Star Trek it did reach a new level, but tame in comparison to most other fare at the time.

"Genesis" is episode forbidden. Permits many, money more...

6. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

How can you get a permit to do a damn illegal episode? Look, price you name, money I got. (Even though we don't use money.)

7. Triskelion

Triskelion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Timo, perhaps it should have penned a short letter. Dashed off a missive or abbreviated footnote, perchance. Solicited an amicus curiae brief, as it were, to avoid any subsequent faux pas or otiose solecism.