Power Rangers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by SG-17, Aug 7, 2010.

1. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

My god, Power Rangers is still around?

I remember when it first came out. I liked it so much I made my parents spend a lot of money to assemble Ultrazord. Then they changed the robots and I made my parents spend a lot of money to assemble Thunderzord! Then they changed the robots again and I figured out the game. I figured out I was being cheaply exploited for toy sales, and I was like 11.

How many different Power Rangers have there been by now, like 40?

2. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

She was also at comic-con one year dressed as Wonder girl

[​IMG]

3. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's probably been a little over 100 different rangers by now.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The Japanese Super Sentai franchise is 38 years old and in its 37th distinct series. Its Power Rangers adaptation turned 20 just over a month ago and is currently on its 17th or 18th distinct series, depending on how you count them. (The 10-part Mighty Morphin Alien Rangers miniseries was actually the concluding arc of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, but it's often counted separately.)

If you're asking how many individual people have been Power Rangers by now, that depends on how you count some of them, but as of the current series, the number is definitely over 100, though if you only count billed regular cast members, the figure might be in the low 90s.

5. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

The 20th season is currently airing and it features the 18th set of powers, I'm too lazy to count but there have been approximately 100 individual rangers so far, probably a few more.

The original japanese franchise is airing its 37th series this yearl, they have more than 200 individual heroes.

6. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Gonna look up the story behind that.

And you asked at just the right time Jirin. The current season is a build-up to all the Rangers banding together to fight a war. Several cast members from the last two decades will be back.

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I need to get to one of those conventions sometime to check out the, uh, comics...

8. Christopher

^Cosplay has its hazards. Once at New York Comic-Con, I was just walking down the aisle minding my business, and I got conked on the head by the ear of a giant Pikachu.

But if you sit in one place long enough, you will inevitably see at least one of every variety of Harley Quinn go by.

9. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers/Mighty Morphin Alien Rangers
    24 (Jason, Zack, Billy, Tommy, Rocky, Adam, Ninjor, Aurico, Cestro, Justin, Zane, Bobby, Tideus, Rocko, Abraham, William, Trini, Kimberly, Aisha, Kat, Tina, Kristen, Alicia, and Delphine)

Power Rangers Zeo
    7 (Tommy, Adam, Rocky, Kat, Tanya, Jason, and Trey)

Power Rangers Turbo
    11 (Tommy, Adam, Justin, TJ, Carlos, Blue Senturion, Phantom Ranger, Kat, Tanya, Ashley, and Cassie)

Power Rangers in Space
    11 (Andros, TJ, Carlos, Zhane, Psycho Red, Psycho Blue, Psycho Black, Psycho Yellow, Psycho Pink, Ashley, and Cassie)

Power Rangers Lost Galaxy
    8 (Leo, Kai, Damon, Mike, Magna Defender [Original], Kendrix, Maya, and Karone)

Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue
    6 (Carter, Chad, Joel, Ryan, Kelsey, and Dana)

Power Rangers Time Force
    7 (Wes, Lucas, Trip, Eric, Alex, Katie, and Jen)

Power Rangers Wild Force
    6 (Cole, Danny, Max, Merrick, Taylor, and Alyssa)

Power Rangers Ninja Storm
    6 (Shane, Dustin, Hunter, Blake, Cam, and Tori)

Power Rangers Dino Thunder
    5 (Conner, Ethan, Tommy, Trent, and Kira)

Power Rangers S.P.D.
    14 (Jack, Sky, Bridge, Doggie, Sam, 'Beevor', 'Cliff', 'Ivan', Charlie, 'Rachel', Z, Syd, Kat, and Nova)

Power Rangers Mystic Force
    8 (Nick, Xander, Chip, Daggeron, Leanbow, Udonna, Madison, and Vida)

Power Rangers Operation Overdrive
    6 (Mack, Will, Dax, Tyzonn, Ronny, and Rose)

Power Rangers Jungle Fury
    8 (Casey, Theo, RJ, Dom, Finn, Phant, Swoop, and Lily)

Power Rangers RPM
    7 (Scott, Dillon, Flynn, Ziggy, Gem, Summer, and Gemma)

Power Rangers Samurai/Super Samurai
    7 (Jayden, Kevin, Mike, Antonio, Mia, Emily, and Lauren)

Power Rangers Megaforce/Super Megaforce
    7 (Troy, Noah, Jake, 'Zador', Robo Knight, Gia, and Emma)

Add all those Rangers together, and you get a grand total of 130 Rangers/Ranger-like allies over the course of 21 seasons (with Super Megaforce counting as a separate season).

Note 1: Single quotes around a Ranger's name indicates that said name is unofficial

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  10. Christopher

^Weren't the Psycho Rangers more monsters than Rangers per se? IIRC, they weren't even real people, just some sort of twisted duplicate. And there was something earlier, in MMPR, I think, where Zedd recruited a team of teens to be evil Rangers in costumes duplicating the heroes' costumes, and they don't get counted.

11. DigificWriter

^ I should have counted the Dark Rangers and forgot to do so. I also should've counted the Wild West Rangers and didn't.

As for the Psychos, 3 of them - Red, Yellow, and Black - did have human forms, or at least human-form disguises, as seen in the episode Silence is Golden. Plus, the word 'Ranger' is actually part of their codename, which makes them count 'by default'.

Including the Dark Rangers - Justin, Zane, Bobby, Tina, and Kristen - and Wild West Rangers - Rocko, Abraham, William, and (Miss) Alicia - brings the total up to 139.

12. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

There's also the Spirit Rangers, if you want to count those.

13. DigificWriter

^ I also forgot them as well (it was late), which brings the total up to 142.

14. Christopher

But the "Wild West Rangers" were just the main cast members playing their own implausibly identical ancestors, Back to the Future-style.

15. DigificWriter

^ They still had distinct names and therefore count as individuals and as individual Power Rangers.

16. Christopher

In-story, yes, but I was clarifying their status for readers who might not know who they were. If you were counting the actors who have played Power Rangers (not counting stunt performers and voiceover artists), the number would be substantially lower than if you're counting the characters.

If you really wanted to get ultra-thorough, there were also several incarnations of the franchise where we got brief glimpses of ancient, ancestral Rangers from whom the main characters inherited the legacy -- I think MMPR, Wild Force, and Samurai are all examples of this. Most of them were never named or seen out of uniform, but I'm pretty sure we saw Jayden's father as the Red Samurai Ranger in a flashback or two, so he'd have to be counted.

17. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

^^ And don't leave out the Turbo 2.5 Robot Rangers of Justin, TJ, Carlos, Ashley, and Cassie,, that Demetria created and sent off into space to aid Zordon.

18. Christopher

^I completely forgot that. Evidently they weren't successful.

19. Elias Vaughn

Elias Vaughn Captain Captain

Five nameless putties and Commander Crayfish should totally count.

20. DigificWriter

The 17th Samurai team and Sky's father should count, but we don't have names - official or otherwise - for them, and I didn't want to keep writing 'so-and-so's father/mother'.

As far as 'ancient Rangers' are concerned, there was never any indication that the warriors who fought battles against evil in ages past, such as the Morphin Masters or Merrick's ancient compatriots, were in fact Rangers.