Moldy Bread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Trekker4747, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

So I bought a loaf of bread at a store the other day. Apparently they don't do a good job of rotating out the stock because the bread was out of date when I bought it, and beyond out of date today. Now, normally this brand of bread is okay plenty of days beyond the date with little problems.

Except this time.

Today I noticed a spot of mold on a couple slices of the bread. So I shrugged took out the two slices of bread with the mold on it, the two-or three slices of the loaf from their to the end of the loaf and three slices behind the mold spot. And made myself a sandwich with a few slices of the remaining loaf before throwing the rest out. I'm eating the sandwiches now.

Am I doing something stupid?

The bread tastes fine, maybe a bit on the stale side but not bad.

Am I going to be hunched over a toilet in 20 minutes?

2. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

3. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I've eaten bread from a loaf that's gotten moldy. I just don't eat the slices with visible mold on them.

I've not died, gone to the hospital, or had a hallucinatory trip.

As far as I know.

4. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

You'll be ok, but why bother unless you have absolutely nothing else to eat at home? Old bread tastes like shit anyway.

5. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Regular white bread.

I had my heart set on peanut butter and jelly. :(

Anyway, it tastes okay. A little dried out but not bad.

6. Captain Picard.

Captain Picard. Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Of course not especially with bread it don't really matter it may just be a bit dry. It won't give you a stomach pain.;)

7. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

you'll be shitting cubes within the hour!!!!!

or you'll be fine.

8. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

Stackable.

9. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

and if you slice the cubes and bake that's how ryvita is made!!!

10. Captain Picard.

Captain Picard. Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

CUBES!?!? Better get my plunger ready I have a small U bend and I have eaten 6 slices of bread!

Hopefully you don't have a small U bend Trekker ;)

11. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

There's a good chance that you ate mold but that doesn't mean you're going to die or something. The thing is, by the time you can see visible mold it's probably all over the place anyway.

12. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

From what I've heard, slicing moldy bread won't keep you safe due to the way spores spread as the bacteria is still there. However, if you see mold on cheese, because it's denser, it's easier to slice off the mold as it won't easily spread.

13. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

mold on cheese is half the flavor!!

14. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You'll be fine. Bread, cheese, just cut off the objectionable bits and you're fine.
    I keep my bread in the fridge to help extend the lifespan.

15. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's mainly high water content food that you should throw the whole thing out rather than cutting off the bad bit. If it's high water content the mould spores are more likely to have spread through the whole thing, though they won't yet be visible. Sour cream, tomatoes etc..

Every time I throw something out because there's a bit of mould on the end I think, "if this was in an era of war rations I wouldn't be throwing this out."

16. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I buy a very dense multi-grain bread from Wegman's. It's my favorite bread of all time. I can keep it for weeks in the refrigerator without any mold appearing. Sometimes it comes up sooner, if I've left the loaf out for a few days after buying it. I just cut off the mold and eat it. NEVER had a digestive problem from it. The mold can't survive the harsh acidic environment of the stomach, is what I'm guessing.

What I recommend you do if you don't go through your bread very quickly, is to take half of the loaf, seal it up in a plastic bag and put it in the freezer. Honestly, if you take frozen bread, zap it in the microwave for like 15 second, then toast it, you'll be hard pressed to tell the difference from relatively fresh bread.

And in the future, always check the expiration date. I do this all the time and usually I can find stuff with a later expiration date in the back. Sometimes by as much as a week or two.

17. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

I've never frozen bread and I've been thinking about doing it because there's no way I can go through a whole loaf of bread by myself (nor should I). But freezing it in a plastic bag seems like it would just get icky!

18. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

We've been doing that longer than I can remember. It gets very humid here and it's practically a necessity

19. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I don't freeze bread, but I often put it in the refrigerator, as it is very humid here indeed and bread will go moldy very fast. I have been having allergies lately that seem to be getting worse, and mold is one thing I react badly to, so I don't take risks. If one part of the bread is moldy, that means there's likely to be mold throughout the loaf that is not yet visible. But, yes, for most people, a small amount of mold may not affect you at all.

20. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Cheap whitebread sometimes molds. I just pinch off the mold.

I often buy some handmade wholegrain bread which tastes great and will last at least ten days without refrigeration.