Borg tribble subplot?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Robert Maxwell, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I think there will be a Borg tribble subplot in Star Trek: Into Darkness. All the signs are there. Let me explain.

First off, Borg tribbles are practically canon already, since they appear in Star Trek: Online. So, you can't tell me there's no possibility they'll ever show up on screen.

[​IMG]

Second, we are dealing with an alternate reality, so everything about the Federation's first contact with the Borg goes right out the window. In this reality, Borg were present on Earth in 2063, and were reactivated in 2153. Now, we also have Nero's Borg-enhanced ship, per the Countdown comics. Given all this unexpected presence of Borg in the Alpha Quadrant well before the Borg Collective tried to establish a presence there, it makes sense that the Collective of the 2250s would want to take a look.

Third, there is the strategic value of Borg tribbles. They are known for their voracious appeties and prodigious reproductive abilities. If the Borg find a planet to be overly resistant, they can simply infest it with Borg tribbles and starve out the population to the point where they're simply begging to be assimilated.

Fourth, we know that tribbles hate Klingons. The upcoming film also deals with Klingons.

So, this is what I'm thinking: the Klingons are currently mortal enemies of the Federation. Benedict Cumberbatch's character worked for Starfleet, until he saw that the Borg were using tribbles to starve out the Klingons, and he wanted to do something about it. Starfleet, seeing an opportunity to rid themselves of a major threat, declined to help and forbade him from intervening. Enraged that the Federation would stand by and watch a Klingonitarian crisis unfold, he detonated the fleet and sought revenge. Maybe he liked Klingons so much he even had a Klingon wife, who is now dead. This would be similar to previous Trek villains whose vengeance is also motivated by being widowers.

This would explain his later presence on Kronos in the film, and why Kirk and company have to hunt him down: to stop him from defeating the Borg tribbles and saving the Klingons.

Don't ask me where he gets his superhuman abilities. Probably from Borg tech he stole from those tribbles. I mean, it's not like they could fight back, right? They'd just squawk a lot, but less than usual, because they save their real squawking for Klingons.

Unless he actually is a Klingon spy, like Arne Darvin. You never know.

So, that's my theory.

2. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually, if the Federation could harness the power of the Borg Tribbles (maybe turn them into Borg-Tribble "Hughs"), then the Federation could use those Borg Tribbles as a weapon against the Klingon Empire...

...But my theory is just wild speculation, and isn't as likely and logical as yours.

3. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

Interesting theory that's worth discussing.

But can somebody provide a list of canon tribble colours first please?

4. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

But can you put a bomb in a Borg tribble?

5. Robert Maxwell

I'm sure their implants could be wired to explode or something. Imagine a billion tribbles on an enemy planet, all set to blow up at once. Resistance is indeed futile.

6. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Can they go underwater?

7. Robert Maxwell

That might short out the electronics.

8. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

So I've been wondering, not much has been established about Borg Tribbles canonically speaking. We know both Borg and Tribbles exist in the 23rd century and they could have met, there's nothing saying they couldn't. And since Abrams and his cohorts are saying they'd like to provide various links to the other Trek series, this could be a perfect link to other Treks. Have a scene where Kirk and Spock enter an alien night club in search of John Harrison. While they're looking around, they pass by Borg Tribbles, whipping electro tentacles at everyone around them for some reason. You know what would make this scene even better? Have Borg Tribbles underwater, in a fish tank or something. The potential is awe-inspiringly awesome.

Discuss.

9. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    Shouldn't they be called BRIBBLEs or TRORGs or something like that?

10. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If they do, then I would expect to see a technical explanation as to how they can.

...By the way, is the "Borg Tribble" thread another attempt at creating a "Blue Nacelle"-type thread? Blue Nacelle-type threads aren't created, they just spontaneously come into existence. :p

11. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, it's a serious discussion as to whether or not the movie should feature Borg Tribbles which is a a very big issue that could make or break its performance at the box office.

12. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    We'd need a Bribble with a SOMBRERO for that to happen.

13. Robert Maxwell

Excuse me, but I provided a very logical and thought-out explanation for my theory. While the movie could work without Borg tribbles, I don't think it will be as good as it would be with Borg tribbles. And the more Borg tribbles appear in the film, the better a film it will be. I call this the "tribble quotient." A Trek film with a low tribble quotient has a higher potential for disappointment.

Given that genetic engineering may be one of the plot elements of Star Trek: Into Darkness, we could also see Borg tribbles with new and unique powers, such as the ability to fly, communicate telepathically (assuming there's no canonical evidence that they could already do so), and read Cosmo.

14. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I'm surprised Borg Tribbles haven't taken over the galaxy already. The two most prolific species in the galaxy becoming one: talk about your no-win scenario.

15. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

16. { Emilia }

Ok, so here's the deal:

In the Prime Universe the tribbles have been all but extinguished by the Klingons... apart from a couple of tribbles who happened to fall into the hands of the Borg. So the assimilated tribbles create a time vortex and head to the JJ-Verse to have their revenge. The Federation's tribble expert Worf (one of the few who have seen a tribble before during his time on DS9) tries to stop them but eventually just gets dragged into the same time vortex.

After their arrival in the JJVerse the borg tribble ship encounters the USS Fahrenheit under Captain Rob'Oh. The borg tribbles attack and nearly destroy the Fahrenheit. Rob'Oh orders the evacuation of the damaged starship, then sacrificing himself by going on a collision course with the furry Borg sphere.

The rest of the movie sees the destruction of Qo'nos as an act of tribble revenge, Worf meeting his own grandfather (Benedict Cumberbatch as one of those ridgeless Klingons), a lot of lens flares, Sulu wielding an axe, and a couple of Beastie Boys songs.

The movie ends with the surviving tribbles looking at their secret plans to the Tribble Empire’s ultimate weapon, the DEATH FURBALL, an armored space station with enough power to destroy an entire planet.

17. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

You know, this makes me realize that what actually happened when the Klingons attacked the Tribbles was even more complicated than we thought.

See, here's the truth. The Tribbles are basically Ewoks without arms or legs or faces, right (credit to Emilia for that realization)? The actual truth is though, it's not just a coincidence - tribbles *are* Ewoks, albeit in the larval stage. The little(r) ones we see in Jedi are the pupae. The tribble homeworld is on the other side of an interdimensional gateway from Endor where the Ewoks lay their fuzzy little eggs.

So, after their humiliating defeat thanks to the help of stone age teddy bears, the remaining Imperial forces were concentrated on wiping out all that remained of the Ewoks, and found themselves on the other side of the Gateway. Problem is, they went through the gateway and forward in time at exactly the moment the Klingons arrived to wipe out the Tribble homeworld.

Now of course, the Klingon Chancellor couldn't abide letting somebody else having the honor of wiping out his greatest foe, so the Imperial and Klingon fleets had themselves a tussling and in the aftermath the gate was sealed with the last tribble wiped out. The Klingons vowed to never speak of this again, of course, but now you know the truth.

18. Robert Maxwell

So what you're saying is, JJ Abrams didn't turn Star Trek into Star Wars, Ron Moore did.

Man, and you thought people hated him for nuBSG. Wait until they get a load of this.

19. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Pretty much! Sorry folks, that ship sailed 15 years ago.

Besides, just imagine if Moore was the one following up with this movie - Cumberbatch would be a tribble!

20. { Emilia }

He certainly has the hair.