A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

^Yeah, no chance. Not even if Martin was actually able to write to a schedule. Imagine they halted production, and it took him 6-7 years like the last time! :lol:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  2. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

What does he promise, exactly? Several accounts of the first episode have stated that he doesn't say anything about escape or help, he just gives her the necklace (hairnet substitute) under the pretense of it being an old family heirloom.

3. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Maybe I'm confuddling the scene with the book. He certainly tells her he is grateful for her intervention, which saved his life and yes I think he gives her the hairnet. There certainly is no specific mention of escape but IIRC he says something along the lines of wanting to help her or be there for her. Hard just to recall all the dialogue right now!

4. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I figured out who the POV character was the moment Martin posted on his blog what the title would be. The titles are always refer to the character's identity, and there's only one character I could see referring to herself as Mercy, if it's a name or nickname of her newest persona.

Great chapter, the best so far out of the excerpts from TWOW. It was incredibly meta.

The latter seems more plausible to me in this version. It's a popular theatre, they're going to want to stage a play about the most recent scandal and a recently disgraced politician. Strike while the iron is hot. Who in Braavos was going to care about Tyrion and his alleged crimes five years later? Steve Jobs died in late 2011, and less than two years later there's already a released movie about him, and another one in production, and it takes a lot longer to shot a movie than to stage a play.

Not to mention that, in the current circumstances at the end of ADWD, I would find it really hard to believe that the Lannisters would retain the Iron Throne for five more years. GRRM's original plan was really bad. I can't believe he actually thought he could stall all other storylines just in order to have the Stark kids grow up. Civil war doesn't just stop for five years.

In their latest Vanity Fair interview, they've said that there will be seven or eight seasons.

Eight seems more likely to me; seven would probably make the show too rushed. AFFC/ADWD have more than enough material for many of the characters (with the probable addition of the Battle of Fire and/or Battle of Ice from TWOW, probably the former rather than the latter) but if either TWOW or ADOS is a big book like ASOS - and I imagine they really have to be, in order to resolve all the storylines, many of which have just been set up - two seasons would probably be too short to cover both of them. I'm re-reading AGOT, and it's funny to be reminded just how simple the story was back then, and how few storylines and big events there were in it, which is why it fit easily into one season.

5. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Eight is possible, but seven sounds more likely from what they've said to James Hibberd at EW (bear in mind Vanity Fair has a long lead time to print, so those interviews aren't necessarily their most recent ones). From EW:

I think the show will end well before the publication of ADOS unless Martin miraculously increases his writing speed. When the final season is scripted and filmed they'll likely only have Martin's outline of where things are going and a small number of chapters actually written to work from. Seven seasons can suffice for the show if they cut a lot of the telescoping out that Martin introduced in Feast and Dance and keep things more focused and streamlined, which I suspect is exactly what they'll do.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  6. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually, Elio Garcia of Westeros.org has confirmed that the EW interviews are older than those in Vanity Fair. The former date from last fall (Hibberd visited Croatia during filming, but held off the coverage to a point when the show would be in the spotlight), while the latter are from January-February. (Vanity Fair spoke to Benioff and Weiss during post-production; the Martin interview for the same feature was February).

Elio thinks this may indicate shifting thinking in recent months; I feel like that's a lot of weight to put on a few isolated word choices. But then I've always thought seven was more likely, even when they were mostly saying eight, so that may be influencing my judgment.

7. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

^^^
    Thanks for the information. I thought the EW stuff was more recent. In that event, I think they're leaving the door slightly open for eight seasons, but seven is still more likely.

8. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Another article where the number of seasons is mentioned: http://www.tvguide.com/News/Inside-Game-Thrones-1079895.aspx
    It's an article about Jon in season 4 and most of the quotes are by Kit Harington, but Benioff is also quoted:

9. Brendan Moody

Last night's SNL poked fun at George R. R. Martin via an impression by Bobby Moynihan:
    link with video

10. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

The season four premiere set a new ratings high for Game of Thrones with 6.6 million viewers for its initial airing. That's the most watched episode of any HBO show since the finale of The Sopranos. The season three premiere of Game of Thrones drew 4.366 million viewers on its first airing. The previous ratings high was 5.5 million viewers for the sixth episode of the fourth season.

11. Brendan Moody

I hope they're planning to do at least a little more with Brienne and Sansa being in the city at the same time. "I must go on an epic quest to find this girl I gave up on after a brief conversation a few weeks ago" is a tough sell.

That final scene suggests why Martin released the Mercy chapter when he did. Elio Garcia has revealed that that was one of the completed chapters Martin showed Benioff and Weiss, and they lifted that part of the scene from it.

A pretty solid opener generally.

12. Brendan Moody

13. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Great to see the two-season renewal.

14. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Emilia Clarke is featured on the cover of Hero Complex. There's an interview with her here.

15. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Strictly speaking, Brienne didn't give up. Jaime gave up. Brienne seems to still be trying to get Jaime to help.

16. Brendan Moody

She had one conversation in which she was pretty easily sidetracked. That's not trying very hard to fulfill a sacred vow... unless they show us more, or at least imply that more happened.

17. Stoo

Stoo Commodore Commodore

I'm amused that GoT will now be a show with two Sarah Connors in it. They should cast Linda Hamilton, complete the set.

18. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, the difference is that Lena Headey and Emilia Clarke can act.

19. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

The biggest questions in my mind for this season are 1) whether Tyrion will kill Shae or whether they'll chicken out and have her die at the hands of Tywin and/or Cersei and 2) how far they'll get into Dany's Dance storyline.

20. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Considering how much they've whitewashed Tyrion's character so far in the series, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they have Shae die by someone else's hands. But I hope they don't do that.