Perth Mint Voyager Coins
By: T'Bonz on Sep 1

Face Off To Feature Trek Makeup

Pegg Omaze Video Features Outtakes

Vulcan Ale – The Genesis Effect
By: T'Bonz on Aug 31

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old August 29 2015, 05:53 AM   #1756
Ithekro
Commodore

Re: Last Classic Who Story you watched

I mean, apart from that being really expensive and hard to do convincingly.
Doesn't that just mean "The BBC"?
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2015, 12:41 PM   #1757
Coco Pops 1967
Captain

Ithekro wrote: View Post
Doesn't that just mean "The BBC"?
And quarries
Old September 2 2015, 02:44 AM   #1758
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Aldo wrote: View Post
I watched the Fourth Doctor Story: "Destiny of the Daleks."

It was my introduction to Romana (unless you count the briefest of scenes from 'The Five Doctors). It was also my first non-McCoy serial in quite some time. Now I have seen some of the Fourth Doctor before, but this was a welcome return. After spending so much time with McCoy, it's nice to watch the show when it actually getting a decent sized budget from the BBC. This story really blows away most of what they did with the Seventh Doctor.

As a Dalek story I found it really fun, and intriguing. The liesuresly pace threw me off at first, but by the time the Daleks showed up and captured Romana I was hooked. I was really pulled in by the story, and I loved seeing Davros again, I never get tired of seeing him.

I still intend to finish off McCoy's run, so I may watch 'Ghost Light' next, but part of me wants to explore some more of the early serials. I still haven't really watched anything from the Second or Third Doctors (again, outside of 'The Five Doctors).
Personally, "Destiny of the Daleks" is my least favorite Tom Baker story. I don't like the design of the Movellans. The Dalek props seem to be in very poor repair. The actor who plays Davros isn't very good. But I think what really kills it for me is the opening scenes with Romana's regeneration. They really lack energy and suck the life out of both Romana & the remainder of the serial. However, I do love Romana's pink riff on the Doctor's costume. I keep hoping I can get a woman to cosplay that outfit some day. (I knew a woman who was a big Whovian and had a nice resemblance to Lalla Ward. Unfortunately, I could never talk her into it. There were a lot of things I couldn't talk her into. )

You should definitely try some Troughton & Pertwee. Troughton is my favorite of the classic Doctors. And while Pertwee may technically be "too normal" to be the Doctor, he makes up for it with industrial grade levels of pure charm. If I may make a suggestion, try "The Three Doctors." It's got some of the best work from both of them.

Volpone wrote: View Post
"The Chase" tonight. So we're getting ready to say goodbye to Ian and Barbara. I didn't remember the comedy being so painfully hokey last time around. The American accents on the roof of the Empire State Building were bad.
Yeah. Although, I give major props to Peter Purves for making the character so different that I didn't even realize that the Alabama hillbilly in Part 3 was the same actor as Steven Taylor in Part 6. I watched that story 3 times and didn't figure it out until they mentioned it on the DVD bonus features.

Once Ian and Barbara leave the Hartnell run wraps up quite quickly.
In fairness, only 4 of Hartnell's post-Ian & Barbara stories still exist in their entirety: "The Time Meddler," "The Ark," "The Gunfighters," & "The War Machines."

I was all set to denigrate the army guns not working as stupid. I mean maybe it saved on blanks and technically simplified shooting, but it made no sense to me. A gun is a mechanical device that houses an explosive propellant. Pulling the trigger releases a spring-loaded hammer to impact a pressure sensitive small explosive charge that ignites a larger explosive charge that pushes a chunk of metal down the barrel. It made no sense how the war machine could make guns stop working.

Then I considered if it emitted some kind of powerful magnetic field that caused ferrous metals to fuse in place in relation to each other... I mean, that's completely silly, but it is at least a fig leaf of plausibility.

Just don't ask me why the guns didn't just fly out of their hands and stick to the war machine.

Of course, then there was the bit in "The Sontaran Stratagem"/"The Poison Sky" where the Sontarans emitted a signal that caused the copper bullets to expand and jam in the guns, preventing them from firing.
Old September 2 2015, 05:19 AM   #1759
Volpone
Rear Admiral

Again, I need a "like" button. Interesting points all round. I caught that the hillbilly was Steven the second time I watched it. At least I thought that was the case, but wasn't sure until now.

I like the expanding bullet idea. Only on thinking about it, that wouldn't prevent the trigger and firing pin from working so the only way it would work is if the signal was used before anyone had chambered a round. Otherwise you'd get a lot of exploding guns with the first shots. I need to watch me some nuWho.
Volpone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2015, 05:44 AM   #1760
Coco Pops 1967
Captain

Just on guns Dr Who is the only show I know of where if you do get shot with a gun you die but there is zero blood
Old September 2 2015, 03:55 PM   #1761
The Four Doctor
Lieutenant Commander

Coco Pops 1967 wrote: View Post
Just on guns Dr Who is the only show I know of where if you do get shot with a gun you die but there is zero blood
Tell that to Condo from the Fourth Doctor story The Brain of Morbius
The Four Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2015, 04:45 PM   #1762
Coco Pops 1967
Captain

The Four Doctor wrote: View Post
Coco Pops 1967 wrote: View Post
Tell that to Condo from the Fourth Doctor story The Brain of Morbius
Yes but was it human blood?

I think aliens bleeding is OK just not humans..

BTW I do wonder why can't we see the War Machines in New Who? At least they'd be able to make them convincing with effects now....
Old September 2 2015, 06:18 PM   #1763
Emperor-Tiberius
Commodore

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
Personally, "Destiny of the Daleks" is my least favorite Tom Baker story.
Have you ever seen Underworld?
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2015, 11:17 PM   #1764
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Emperor-Tiberius wrote: View Post
The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
Personally, "Destiny of the Daleks" is my least favorite Tom Baker story.
Have you ever seen Underworld?
I have. (In fact, I've seen every single surviving classic episode except for "The Underwater Menace, Part 2." Although, there are some that I haven't watched in over a decade, like the Key to Time arc.)

I'll admit that "Underworld" is pretty dire and the CSO looks pretty bad in places. But it still has more energy and better production design than "Destiny of the Daleks." Plus, Leela makes everything better.