They are going ahead with a Justice League movie

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I certainly don't believe anything Cosmic Movie News is "reporting". Again, they're like Comic Book Movies.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That's a specious argument. Countless writers have treated fantastic subjects in a realistic style, by making the elements around the fantastic premise realistic. That's why there's a whole genre named "magic realism." Realistic fantasy or SF is about portraying a world that's like the real world except for one or two fanciful elements, and exploring the ramifications of those fanciful elements in a realistic way. In particular it means treating the characters realistically, having them behave like actual human beings would if faced with a given situation, however impossible that situation may be. For instance, someone getting superpowers and initially deciding to use them to make money is more realistic than someone getting superpowers and instantly going "We've gotta use that power to help mankind, right?" (even though Stan Lee wrote both of those instances within nine months of each other).

3. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Agreed. A specious argument FOR a specious argument.

Agreed. That's why I don't know how one could say Raimi's Spiderman wasn't "realistic." It very clearly is.

4. Christopher

Well, the Raimi films are realistic in a Marvel sort of way -- they're set in a recognizable version of New York City, but a heightened one, combining naturalistic texture with broad fantasy and melodrama. For instance, nobody would say that the movies' J. Jonah Jameson is a particularly realistic character. He's a larger-than-life, comic figure, the way Stan Lee originally wrote him. And the digital version of Manhattan they created is based on the real one, looks and feels like the real one, but is exaggerated, with more tall buildings for Spidey to swing from and other additions like the elevated tracks in the Spidey/Ock subway fight (which was actually shot in Chicago). So there are plenty of degrees of realism. The Raimi Spider-Man films are more realistic than Burton's or Schumacher's Batman films, but less realistic than Nolan's Batman films or, say, Chronicle.

5. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

Actually, NYC has had an "El" in the past, and parts of it still remain, albeit unused.

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2868

In Marvel NYC, they simply never stopped using it.

6. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

People got mugged and killed in Burton's Batman movies too, but that would hardly be enough to qualify them as "realistic."

I'm not saying Raimi's Spider-Man was an all-out campfest; just that it was fairly comic booky (in the way Donner's Superman was, or the Avengers).

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't have minded a directors cut of that secne where Toby's arms get ripped off by trying to stop a train like that, or possibly segmented down his central axis.

That there was a job for Superman.

Spider-man should lant his fucking place in the natural order of super heroics.

8. Christopher

Well, yes, and there are elevated tracks still in use in Queens (which makes me wonder why the movie scene wasn't just set there, considering that Peter Parker lives in Queens). But the point is that the movie used the real New York as a starting point and exaggerated/added to it. It's heightened realism rather than strict realism.

9. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think Rami did a good job of balancing the comic book elements of the character and his world with realistic elements.

10. Guy Gardener

You mean after some god awful casting decisions?

11. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

And a guy who mutates into a giant lizard monster is more realistic than this :wtf:

12. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's putting it mildly

13. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

In that case, let's be serious.

Since Hollywood likes to turn giant comic villains into space clouds (Rise of the Silver Surfer, Green Lantern), why not use Kronos ala JLA/Avengers, so at least the space cloud BS actually comes from the comic this time?

14. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Isn't that guy more of a JSA villain.

15. Guy Gardener

time jumping might as well mean world jumping if the tech is similar enough?

There's been a few comics where the time crooks gather and he always seems put out about being the low man on the totem pole.

16. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

I was joking...

17. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

18. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

19. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Why? Gone Baby Gone and The town indicate that he's a solid director, he's an Oscar-winning writer and experienced producer as well.

He's a very credible talent.

20. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

And with that you prove that you have no idea what you're talking about.

The article says that Affleck also wants to star in films he directs, though, so I can see that hampering things unless he decides not to star in JL.