Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Chris3123, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Maybe they'd present them then, but it'd be hard for rumors to not start flying well before that point. At comicon, you almost certainly want them on stage, which would be difficult to do secretly.

2. Alidar Jarok

According to this, the scripts are already coming in. Therefore, my window to influence Daredevil is closing rapidly (not that it was very wide to begin with). So, more for fun than anything else, he’s my ideas for a Daredevil season. It's not entirely complete, mostly because of a lack of creativity but also because I’m not sure if characters like The Owl, Typhoid Mary, etc. should be in this season. At least with Mary, it needs more time to truly handle it.

As I said before, my idea is to use Frank Miller’s The Man Without Fear series as inspiration for a set of flashbacks that’ll tie into the main episodes thematically. I think flashbacks elsewhere, combined with new material, will help make up for any shortcomings. Here goes. I’ve thought about the titles for the first two episodes. After that, I have a couple ripped straight from the comics, but not many.

Episode 1 – The Man without Fear
    Main Plot: Matt Murdock returns home to New York City after being away as a big firm lawyer in Boston. Some series of events (most likely the child prostitution storyline from Frank Miller’s story, although it doesn’t really matter) compels him to become Daredevil and save the day. At the end of the episode, he forms a law firm with Foggy Nelson to help people in the neighborhood.
    Flashback: In the flashback, Matt is a young, nerdy boy. He stays indoors every day studying. The kids outside mock him and call him “Daredevil.” He wants to go out, but his father keeps telling him to study. He doesn’t get into a fights, but keeps getting picked on instead. At the end of the story, he sees a man crossing the street about to get hit by a truck. He saves the man’s life, but gets struck by toxic chemicals that blinds him.

Episode 2 – “Battlin’” Jack Murdock
    Main Plot: Matt Murdock is asked to help save the local gym/community center that is essentially the only thing keeping the kids in the neighborhood out of trouble. It also happens to be the place that Matt’s father trained when he was alive. It turns out that a man by the name of Wilson Fisk claims that he has documents to prove he owns it, but the people in the neighborhood are convinced that the documents are fraudulent. Meanwhile, Matt as Daredevil continues to investigate the child prostitution ring and finds out it is being run by mob leader Eric Slaughter.
    Flashback: The flashback is the story of Jack Murdock, has-been boxer. With his son now blind, Jack is trying to earn a living to help pay for his needs and education. He takes a job boxing for the fixer. However, when he refuses to throw a fight, he is murdered.

Episode 3
    Main Plot: A man named Melvin Potter, who calls himself “The Gladiator” kidnaps a bunch of people at the mall and demands that New York’s new vigilante fight him. Among the people he kidnapped is his psychiatrist/social worker Betsy Beatty. Daredevil stops Potter but is shocked to find that Beatty comes to defend Potter. She tells him that he is mentally ill and needs help. Daredevil promises that he will do what he can.
    Flashback: Once again, it focuses on Matt Murdock as a young boy. Only, this time, rather than take it lying down, he fights back. When Jack Murdock finds out that he got into a fight, he goes into a drunken rage and hits Matt. Matt runs away crying. In some less expositional way than in the comics, he decides at that moment the importance of following the law – that there needs to be some kind of rules to prevent things like that from happening.

Episode 4 – In the Hands of Bullseye
    Main Plot: Matt Murdock the lawyer is fighting in court with an insanity defense for Melvin Potter. Meanwhile, as Daredevil, he continues to take down Slaughter’s organization. Slaughter, in response, turns to the assassin known as Bullseye. When someone is kidnapped (I’m not exactly sure who yet, in the comics it was Romanoff) Daredevil goes to Coney Island to confront Bullseye. Unfortunately, it is in the middle of trial, forcing Foggy Nelson to close out the case, which he does brilliantly. Daredevil confronts his deadliest foe. They fight to a standstill when, suddenly, Bullseye grabs his head and falls to the ground screaming in anguish.
    Flashback: Matt Murdock has been freshly blinded by the toxic chemicals. With his super-senses, he can hear everyone around him pitying him while he’s on a hospital bed. Later, as he’s walking the streets, learning to adapt, he meets a man named Stick. Stick starts his training of Daredevil. The exact scenes don’t matter so much, but the last thing he’ll do is shoot a bullseye with an arrow.

Episode 5
    I’m really not sure what to do with the main plot of this episode or if there is to be any supervillains. However, I do want to introduce that Matt starts representing a man accused of murder. He can tell from the man’s heartbeat that he is telling the truth when he says he is innocent. Hopefully I’ll think of something here.
    Flashback: The training with Stick continues where it left off. Stick shouts “again” and “again” and Matt continues to hit the target (splitting the arrow in one shot). However, when walking the streets, Matt soon encounters the men who killed his father. In a rage, he uses his new skills to attack and seriously injure the men. Although he gets his revenge, Stick tells him that he cannot train him anymore because he is incapable of controlling his emotions.

Episode 6
    Matt represents a local kid accused of selling drugs. However, the kid tells him that he was forced into selling drugs. It seems a new person is muscling into the area and recruiting people into gangs. He is planning a big turf war to take over Eric Slaughter’s territory. The kid doesn’t know the guy’s name, but knows he goes by “The Kingpin.” Unfortunately, the Prosecutor won’t drop the charges unless the kid will testify against his higher-ups. Matt gets in touch with newspaper reporter Ben Ulrich to find out who this Kingpin is. Unfortunately, he doesn’t get many leads. He does, however, find out that there is a witness who can acquit his client accused of murder.
    Flashback: Matt starts undergrad at Columbia University, studying pre-law. He finds and befriends Foggy Nelson, who he saves from bullies. The two quickly become friends.

Episode 7 – Elektra
    Matt tries to track down someone who knows where to find the witness to the murder. When he gets there, he is attacked by a female assassin in red who he recognizes as Elektra. The plot pretty much follows Elektra’s first introduction exactly. Elektra is trying to track down the same witness to collect on a bounty. In the end, Elektra is captured and Daredevil shows up. Using their past history together, he is able to time it so Elektra and he spring into action at the same time and defeat Slaughter and his men. The witness is taken in and agrees to testify. Because of this, Slaughter’s entire organization is brought down. Elektra flees into the night, not having gotten her prize.
    Flashback: The flashback is exactly the same as the comic as well. The only thing I’d add is the roof jumping/central park meeting parts from the Man without Fear version. Essentially, Matt falls in love with her. She’s extremely reckless and rich. Her father is kidnapped by terrorists. The two try to rescue him and almost succeed (using exactly the same move that’ll succeed in the episode). Unfortunately, her father is gunned down anyway.

Episode 8 – Devils
    Matt is investigating who the Kingpin is. Unfortunately, Bullseye has escaped from prison. It turns out he has a brain tumor that is making him delusional (it was the cause of his breakdown last time). In his mind, every person he sees is Daredevil. And, since his goal is to kill Daredevil, he is pretty much trying to kill everyone he sees. Daredevil eventually tracks him down and they fight. Unfortunately, he goes into a subway station where Daredevil’s radar senses are useless. However, the man without fear charges in anyway. They fight until Matt gets the upperhand. He has him pinned down on the tracks when he hears a train coming. Rather than abandon Bullseye, he rescues him and brings him to safety. The police ask him why he did that, knowing that Bullseye could use the brain tumor for an insanity defense to get away with all his murders. Had he let him die, no one would have held it against him. Daredevil responds by saying that we live in a world of laws and that, as much as he wanted him to die, it is society that must punish him. He walks away, praying that he did the right thing.
    Flashback: Honestly, I don’t have any ideas what to do with this flashback. The only thing I can think of is to continue last week’s story with Elektra. Essentially, it’ll be the funeral and her leaving. She’ll be the foil to Matt Murdock. While he says the laws matter the most, she responds that the laws have no meaning if they let her father die.

Episode 9
    I’m honestly not sure what to do with this story. I’m thinking of making it Kingpin-centric. Essentially, this is where Kingpin cements his control over the underworld. For the main plot, Ben Ulrich and Matt Murdock (with a little help from Daredevil) discover who he is. What’s more, they discover that one of the candidates for Mayor is working for him. Ben prints a story with this information and Matt agrees to defend his paper from the libel suit.
    Flashback: I was thinking of using some combination of The Kingpin Must Die and Gangwar to show the Kingpin’s rise to power. I’m not sure if I want it as a side plot or a flashback. It would probably include the “death” of Vanessa Fisk, though, but no sewer people.

Episode 10 - Spiked
    The story is from Ben Ulrich’s perspective, just like in the comic. He works to cement his proof of the ties between the mayoral candidate and Fisk. Unfortunately, he is being hunted by Elektra. While Daredevil tries to stop her, he is unsuccessful. Ulrich ends up in the hospital for a week. In the end, he decides to retract the story. Not sure if I want a flashback in this episode.

Episode 11
    I have very inchoate ideas here. Essentially, Matt finds Vanessa and gets Fisk to drop his candidate for Mayor. I think there needs to be some kind of change of heart from Elektra to tie them together, although I’m less certain about the details. Perhaps Fisk orders her to kill Foggy Nelson and, in the end, she changes her mind. No idea what to do with the flashback, but it needs one because the plot's kinda thin.

Episode 12
    Bullseye, now declared sane, is released from a mental hospital. Of course, insanity was never the problem in the first place. Instead, without the tumor, he all the more dangerous. Essentially, he heard that there is a new assassin in town by the name of Elektra. When he confronts the Kingpin about it, the Kingpin orders him to kill Elektra. At the end of the episode he is successful and Elektra dies in Matt’s arms.
    Flashback: I’m really not sure. Maybe go into Elektra’s past and her demons?

Episode 13
    Daredevil is broken by the death of Elektra. Throughout the episode, he has his faith tested, as he has doubts that he can ever truly stop Bullseye. He is haunted by visions of a woman, a nun, who visited him in the hospital when he was blinded. At one point, in the pouring rain, he digs up Elektra’s grave and confirms it really is her and breaks down crying. At that point, he is met by the nun, who he realizes is his mother. She gives him the encouragement to continue the fight. Eventually, he regains his faith and his courage. He goes out and confronts Bullseye. After an epic battle, he emerges victorious and drops Bullseye from a tall height. The episode/season/series ends with an ambiguous image of Matt Murdock as a “Guardian Devil” watching over the city with a church in the background.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  3. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

4. Alidar Jarok

Interesting. That makes me wonder what tone it'll set. Joe Quesada was also involved in Daredevil, iirc, so that's two right there.

BTW, I'm trying to read more Daredevil comics (while also trying to minimize cost spent). Does anyone know if the Ann Nocenti run is worth it? So far, I've mostly read Miller, but I also read Bendis's Daredevil Hardcore (I have mixed feelings about it, truth be told).

5. Turtletrekker

Nocenti's run had it's good points, but it's largely between mediocre and just OK.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Good. I like Waid's approach to DD.

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

ROM? Talk about optimistic questions.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cool. I've heard nothing but good things about Waid's DD.

9. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

I would like to see Moon Knight or The Shroud, plus Shroud knows Heroes for Hire in the books, so there's that.

I will have to subscribe to netflix for these.

You're not allowed to record things from netflix, are you? I don't know, I still have a VCR, so I'm really behind on the tech.

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

You can't record things from Netflix, but you can rewatch them anytime you want, as long as they remain available and your subscription remains active.

11. Alidar Jarok

Yeah, you'd have to just rewatch it on Netflix. Presumably, they'd eventually release DVDs as well.

12. Eduardo

Eduardo Captain Captain

13. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Does this mean we'll get to see Daredevil's whip?

14. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain

This phenomenal news for Daredevil. DeKnight is fantastic, he does character and story both so very well.

Sadly this makes me think that his scifi show Incursion on Starz is either dead or a long long way from happening

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Both disappointed and happy. Disappointed to see Goddard go, but DeKnight has done a lot of stuff I like, so I'm happy they got somebody else good for it.

16. Turtletrekker

Yeah, and it's not like it's creative differences or something like with Edgar Wight and Ant-Man. Godard would be a fool to turn down the opportunity to write and direct a high-profile Comic-book movie for a major studio because of a half-season Netflix show.

17. Eduardo

Eduardo Captain Captain

He tweeted today that Incursion was "not dead, in hold", and about a month ago that :

18. Turtletrekker

19. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain

20. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

That's a fantastic choice. I loved him in Stardust and Boardwalk Empire. I'm definitely more interested in the Daredevil series now.