DS9 Forum Welcome Thread: Hello fellow Niners!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Disillusioned, May 30, 2009.

1. Ln X

Ln X Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

9er's are always welcome here! How many times have you seen the whole series Miss Lemon? It's about three and a bit (going through it all right now) for me.

2. xylem

xylem Ensign Newbie

Thanks for the welcome all! And Hi to the other new folk here!

3. xylem

xylem Ensign Newbie

Though the question wasn't directed at me, it's a fun one, so I'll chime in:

Number times watched:

TOS - currently watching for the first time (nearly done season 1)... never had much patience for the whole kirk seduces another blond bimbo aspect of the show.... I'll say this though - it's surprising me - there is more depth (in some eps) than I gave it credit for.

TNG - ??? (watched regularly and repeatedly since I was about 11 years old... 1991)... know many of these in my sleep (particularly season 5, which is my personal favourite)

DS9 - I'd guess about 4x straight through? With more repetitions of some episodes... (I still like the earlier seasons (<=5) best, so I've watched them more).

Voy - probably similar - 3-4x, I think? Enough to have some favourite episodes, despite the fact that this series, as a whole, hasn't stayed with me in the same way

Ent - once (awhile back now). I'm still reluctant to call this one canon. (Perhaps petty of me, but I can't quite forgive them for abandoning the orchestral intro... and the characters mostly seemed like sex-toys). But, I vaguely remember being surprised that the last season or so was more watchable than the rest.

Movies - 1-3x each. In my opinion, ST should never have made movies. They all came out as painfully pale inferior imitations of their respective series.

4. xylem

xylem Ensign Newbie

gazomg - yes - I liked the exploration of religion too. That seemed to be in the air during that time period - voyager, too, spent a fair bit of time exploring religiosity, but mostly with a more new-agey bent (i.e. chakotay and his animal guides etc).

The depth given to the bajoran religion was quite interesting to me, though. And i really enjoyed the tension between science and religion that got played out through benjamin's character. He essentially embodied that tension in his reluctant role as emissary. I like it when people challenge the simplistic notion that the pursuit of science must coincide with strong atheism. Fortunately, people are often much more complicated than that! (No offense meant to strong atheists...)

(My only criticism of religion as depicted in DS9 is the direction they took to the god stories near the conclusion of the series - the whole exorcism-like body-snatching complete with glowing eyes still makes me cringe)

5. Miss Lemon

Miss Lemon Commodore Commodore

Thanks, Ln_x. :)

I must have watched most episodes of season 1-3 several times, but I don't think I've re-watched seasons 5-7 yet, with the exception of my favourite episodes. Although I consider the war-arc to be one of Trek's best, I often choose something lighter when I feel like watching Trek. I'm currently re-watching TOS season 3 and ENT season 2.

Just for the record, I was only teasing Sindatur; we've already met in an other subforum.

6. Ezri D

Ezri D Lieutenant

OMG, i must be so blind. Checks my glasses, how could I have missed this place and made so many postings. Waves, lets be friends!

7. JEkis

JEkis Cadet Newbie

Hello everyone. I'm glad I finally found this forum. I've been wondering if there was a place to discuss the show since I started watching, but never actually took the time to look for it. I am currently in the middle of season 5. It sure would have made the entire experience even more enjoyable to talk things over with other fans as I went along.
    I'm at a slight disadvantage, as I was introduced to this show in the middle of the final season so now I know how it all ends before I even started my first time through. I was visiting a friend for a weekend when our original plans fell through. She suggested that we watch some Star Trek instead. Her family was in the process of watching every episode from every series, and they were almost done with DS9. Believe it or not, I had not watched anything related to Trek before, but she was sure that I would enjoy this. I was instantly hooked. We ended up making a Saturday marathon of it. We watched the last 8 or so episodes that day.
    Now I'm going through the series from the beginning on Netflix. I've had to take some time off from college because of health, and don't have a lot to do stuck at home. I usually end up doing 2 or three episodes a night. Maybe now that I'm here, I can spend some of that time conversing and take a more gradual approach to the series.
    Anyway, it is great to be here and I look forward to meeting you all.
    P.S I recently learned about a book entitled the Star Trek : Deep Space Nine Companion. Does anyone know if an EBook version of this title can be purchased anywhere? I am blind, and need either a Braille, audio or electronic version of the book in order to read it. Neither the National Library Service For the Blind nor audible.com have it, so I'm hoping I can buy an eBook.
    Thanks

8. naverhtrad

naverhtrad Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hello all!

DS9 is very much my favourite of the Star Trek series, so I'm definitely glad to have a forum and to hear other fans' thoughts on the series.

I also enjoyed DS9's treatment of religion; it struck me that at some points (particularly in Sisko's and Kira's cases) the series had an almost existentialist (Kierkegaard, not necessarily Nietzsche) bent to it. Also some of the strongest, most three-dimensional characterisation in any form of Trek, IMHO: Kira, O'Brien and Worf in particular.

As to how many times I've seen each series? TOS: all episodes once; most of them twice or three times. TNG: whichever episodes my parents had on VHS five times each at least; some I haven't seen at all. DS9: all episodes at least three times. VOY: haven't seen yet, except for 'Unimatrix Zero'. ENT: all episodes once (that was enough).

Good to meet y'inz!

9. Sarahjs

Sarahjs Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hi Everyone. My name is Sarah and I love Star Trek. Hmm, this sound like I am at a Star Trek Addicts Anonymous meeting, apologies, I am hopeless at introductions.

Deep Space Nine is currently my favourite Star Trek, I am currently on Season 5. I have also watched TOS, TNG and VOY. I particularly like how DS9's episodes mostly tie into one another, more so than the other Star Trek series.

Mainly I have signed up for this site in order to be in a community with other Star Trek fans. Most of my friends think I am a bit odd for liking Star Trek.

See you around.

10. Ln X

Nothing wrong with being addicted to Star Trek, I watch all on my own in the privacy of my bedroom an episode of DS9 each night.

Welcome on board!

11. Sarahjs

Sarahjs Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Thanks for the welcome! :) I watch with my mom - she is the only person who will watch Star Trek with me. She likes watching TV series in general - not Star Trek particularly, but she is tired of the repeats shown on TV all the time and is happy to watch something new.

12. Ln X

Nice! I watch Star Trek with my whole family, Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Plus I watch some extra episodes late in the night...

13. ILOVETREK1701

ILOVETREK1701 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hi I love ds9 and all trek but ds9 is one of my faviorites. Call to arms is my favorite episode and i'me happy to be here.

14. EnabranTain

EnabranTain Cadet Newbie

Good day to all. I am Enabran Tain. I am above all else a true, die-hard Niner. I wish you all well.

15. GulGoneCrazy

GulGoneCrazy Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hi everyone!I'm a Heavy metal fan who is secretly also a Star trek fan especially the DS9 fan!:)
    I watched almost all Star Trek series as a kid and i started watch DS9 series again recently.My favorite race are Cardassians and i adore dominion war battle scenes :cardie:.
    My favorite episodes are the Chain of command part 1 and 2 from TNG.
    I got a lot of friends but none of them watched Star Trek so i have no peoples to talk about star trek around me so i am glad to be here!

For Cardassian Union!

16. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

another Niner reporting in :)
    I'm a big fan of everything Klingon. It's a nice idea that the future might not only hold corrupt split-tongued politicians but also a planet full of beings who value honor, hearty food and a good sense of humour. (plus I have a weakness for long-haired men...;) )

My favourite DS9 epi is Profit and Lace. Yeah, sisters! - We females have the lobes for anything we decide to do!

17. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

Greetings to all our new fans!

18. kirsten187

kirsten187 Napoleonic Power Monger Admiral

Hello all new fans. I keep meaning to check in on this thread since DS9 is my favourite but it keeps eluding me!

19. Snowlilly

Snowlilly Lieutenant Red Shirt

Watched DS9 back in the day but am currently rewatching it from Season 1 as I missed quite a few episodes and didn't see most of them in sequence so it will be nice to get to do that.

20. kirsten187

kirsten187 Napoleonic Power Monger Admiral

I've got all the episodes on DVD boxsets and watch random episodes from time to time. I really need to watch them all again in order.