Geek out Smallville moment!!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Othello, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Kryton

Kryton Admiral Admiral

Reserve member, IIRC. ;)

2. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not sure if was always true but in most storylines...
    Superman is essentially immortal, he lives until the end of the universe. I've never seen it explained what happens to him during the Legion's time, why he wasn't around when Superboy travels forward. There is one continuity where he is living in the middle of the sun for several millenia.

3. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Clark has been seen on Smallville to live until the end of time in the third season.

4. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

This isn't really a spoiler anyway but:

Correct, there was a boy who could see how people would die by touching them. When he touched Clark, IIRC, he just saw clouds and no death. However, it was also shown in that episode that once told how they would die, that death could be changed.

5. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

I just want that final scene of Welling in the outfit flying off.

I know it's recently been said not likely to occur do to conflict with the films, but since the Superman films are in flux atm, 15 seconds of him in the damn outfit can't cause that much of a problem, FFS!

6. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ Never going to happen not because of the films but because Welling has said he refuses to wear the costume and has veto power over his clothing on the show. He talked about it in an interview with Carson Daly a few years ago.

7. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

If the show wasn't so far along now, I'd fire Welling and hire someone willing to play the damned role.

I can just imagine Zachary Quinto showing up in JJ's office, refusing to wear the pointed ears because it'll jeopardise his career. Oh, no, wait, I can't because Quinto is a professional.

8. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ From what was said in the interview he only got this power because of the episode from season three (Whisper) where he had to wear glasses. They had negative feedback from women with that choice to put him in the glasses and Welling was able to negotiate into his contract an override of clothing options for his character. That's also why Clark got away from plaid.

9. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Negative feedback has an effect on Smallville ? Or is it just negative feedback from women ?

Most of the Smallville viewers I've ever encountered have wanted Lana gone, we've only just gotten rid of her and then they bring her back!

There are a million things wrong with Smallville to fix before you get to Clark wearing glasses in one episode! :klingon:

10. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ I don't really know which type of feedback works to be honest. I just remember it from the interview.

(I agree about Lana btw).

11. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

It was more of a rhetorical question, I wasn't expecting you to phone up Gough and Millar and find out. :)

12. Othello

Othello Commodore Commodore

Quinto is a crappy actor, as is nearly everyone on Heroes. Even when it was ok the acting on that show was god-awful. Now thjat the show has turned to pretty much crap it's even more noticeable.

13. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Which, whether I agree with you or not (I don't), is entirely besides the point. On Heroes, the actors do what they are paid to do - play the part they were cast for.

Welling, on the other hand, moans to the producers based on feedback on one episode.

14. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

"Bouncing Boy" :lol:

15. Thrall

Thrall Commodore Commodore

If he's not becoming Superman then I don't care. People need to face facts and realize that Smallvillle is set in a world where Superman never existed. He's not going to become Superman. The whole crappy show is just one big bait and switch.

16. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^The show isn't even set in Smallville anymore!

17. Thrall

Thrall Commodore Commodore

Exactly. He should be Superman by now. Enough of this awaiting his destiny crap. Put him in the suit or end it. It's that simple.

18. Kryton

Kryton Admiral Admiral

You should read his original "secret origin" story! He's a slacker delivery boy for a professor who slips into a baseball game while working. Instead of drinking a bottle of soda he drinks the professor's super-rubber compound and becomes able to inflate and bounce! :lol: I think MOST of the Legionairres were fashioned around a silly code-name that came first.

19. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

The Legion began during the Silver Age, when it was in-continuity in the comics that Superman had begun his costumed career in Smallville as Superboy. The Legion that originally appeared in a Superboy story in 1958 were representatives of a larger team of super-heroes from the 30th Century who traveled back in time to initiate Superboy as a member. They continued popping up in both Superboy and Supergirl stories, becoming a popular enough feature that they were given their own series. Along the way, their membership grew with each appearance. They wound up being established as a team that was usually 18 to 25 strong, based on Earth and largely human-looking, but each of them possessing a unique power in the group, with many of them being from other worlds where everyone had the same power. All of them were teens (at least when they joined), and they operated in a sci-fi setting. Superboy continued to serve as a regular member via time travel. (Silver Age Supes could travel in time under his own power.) They usurped Superboy's own title not once but twice...first with Adventure Comics, which became their first regular series in the '60s...then in the '70s they turned Superboy's own title into Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes, and eventually just Legion of Super-Heroes. The Legion enjoyed a sort of cult popularity akin to Star Trek amongst comics readers in part because, while they fit into the larger DC multiverse of the era, their future setting allowed them to grow a mythos all their own that didn't have to tie in directly with the contemporary setting of other DC titles.

Regarding the trailer...Cosmic Boy looks a little scruffy--he was always portrayed as the straight arrow. The Persuader--wow, dead on.

20. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

^ actually I watched the recent Legion of Superheroes cartoon, and I thought Bouncing Boy came across well, even more so when he said he didnt get into the Legion first time he tried, yeah ok he probaly works best on a kids cartoon, but he works, and heave forbid fat kids should be made to feel like they can be heroes to.

meanwhile the origin story could be Flubber

this is the problem with TV, a victim of its own success. Clark cant become Superman until it ends, whilst ratings are good, the show wont end, so the problem just drags on & on, the "red & blue blur" works quite well for the moment, and gets around the shows biggest problem that I will come to after the next quote.

HE cant become Superman, the story of a teenage Superman works for Superboy, because he is Superboy, in this case as soon as Lois hit Smallville, the idea of Clark becoming the traditional Superman was over.

Clark has problems with the idea of secret identity, and for good reason, Smallville has hammered home the idea that Clark is the real person, so him suddenly wearing glasses is not going to work to hide his identity, right now he is a blur but that is very different from Superman.

Right now Clark is a hero (if a blurry one), and Doomsday is circling, its not hard to see how this could end.