Do you ignore the "new" Star Trek?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by CrazyMatt, May 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

I don't ignore it, I look at it like this: If I were a huge Brady Bunch fan, these things would be A Very Brady Sequel. Did Carol Brady marry the Professor from Gilligan's Island? Of course not, Did some crazy Romulan from the future come blasting back to destroy Kirk's dad, Spock's mom and the entire planet of Vulcan? Doubtful. Does Khan have magical Genesis blood? Please!!

But it is all in good fun.

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

What would be left? ;)

3. Hambone

Hambone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just treat all the various Star Treks like a huge galactic buffet. Pick out what you like and leave the rest. There's plenty for all and something there for everyone. TOS is my "meat and potatoes", while the new movies are "pizza and beer."

Who doesn't enjoy a little junk food now and then?

And remember, today's meal that doesn't agree with you doesn't necessarily ruin last week's sumptuous feast.

4. DaleC76

DaleC76 Captain Captain

I would've answered this question differently two months ago. I didn't like ST09 very much, but Into Darkness won me over. It has its flaws, but it has that Star Trek feel. I would encourage anyone to check it out. You might be surprised.

5. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nicely stated. :techman: Totally agree. :cool:

6. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it was nicely stated. I agree, too.

7. ralfy

ralfy Captain Captain

I agree with you. TOS was fine, and they did well with some of the movies.

TNG was OK, but it looked so bland compared to the original. The same goes for the other television shows, but the last two movies appear to make things worse.

8. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

You know, I don't really mind when someone posts stuff like this. What I do mind is when the OP initially speaks his mind, then never bothers to return to his own post to debate other people's responses to him. It makes me wonder why I should even bother replying to him.

You keep saying this, but you never actually back up your statements, other than telling us to go find someone else's quotes. Why do you think the last two movies made things worse?

9. ralfy

ralfy Captain Captain

Obvious attempts at capturing a teen audience obsessed with bad Hollywood script writing and special effects, and at the same time trying to appease older fans by creating weakly constructed story lines involving allusions to past movies (as seen in the latest).

The latter point is most difficult: why a reboot? Why not start afresh? Or has the franchise run its course?

10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

^You say that like TOS was aimed exclusively at adults. You must be assuming they were the intended audience for items like this?
    [​IMG]

11. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Needless to say I don't fall into the category of ignoring the JJ Trek films myself, but I totally understand the sentiment of not wanting to accept other actors taking over hte roles of the TOS actors, or just not wanting to see a reboot, period. Very rarely do remakes meet or exceed the original, and yes that DOES include Star Trek 2009 and ID, at least in my opinion!

The new films, to me, are good, and I enjoy them. But have I embraced them like I have with TOS, TNG, and the other shows? Heck no! Sure we may be two films deep into a new Trek franchise, but when you have 2 new films VS not just TOS, but Star Treks 1-6, TAS, and the entire SUBCULTURE that sprung up around them, I can totally see WHY someone may be inclined to not see the JJ Trek films as any more legit than online fan films\series, and not want to accept them as canon. For example, to me, William Shatner IS Kirk, Nimoy IS Spock, and to me, the new films (and actors in them), despite being as good as they are, have yet to reach the iconic status of the original, and probably never will.

Again, not saying I am in that "anti-NuTrek" camp, but I do get the mentality.

I agree with you, and I don't like people who "drop a bomb" then leave either, but is it any wonder the guy never came back? Immediately after he\she posted, this thread was mobbed with the "How dare you not accept JJ Abrams as your new lord and savior" crowd. Ironic how those who criticize Star Trek fans who do not accept the new JJ films as canon, and call them close minded, reveal themselves to be just as dogmatic and close-minded about their position.

12. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

The two ideas are not mutually exclusive.

That's like asking why the creators of the British SHERLOCK series insist on using Sherlock Holmes instead of making up some new character, maybe Holmes' great-great grandson. Or why the filmmakers behind "Clash of the Titans" just used the same old Greek gods Homer used; why didn't they make up brand new gods?

13. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

And why did they? It's not a rhetorical question.

14. Yeoman Basha

Yeoman Basha Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

This. I happen to love the new films, but I can sympathize with those who don't. Enjoy what you like in the Star Trek universe, ignore what you don't -- and don't worry about it. Life is too short to waste time agonizing over this kind of thing.

15. Praetor Baldric

Praetor Baldric Lieutenant Commander

I agree with you both, but it is difficult for many to do because it requires them relinquishing their sense of co-ownership in the series and its universe. This is a feeling that runs very deep.

16. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

no u are not alone-I don't care for this so called new star trek,people talk about bringing Abrams's star trek to the small screen but I don't think the way it is it wont work as a tv show.

17. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Not to mention a nice big juicy ham hock. ;)
    [​IMG]

18. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

About half a dozen episodes. :lol:

19. ralfy

ralfy Captain Captain

There are teens who can recognize bad writing and aren't entranced by special effects. There are also adults who are the opposite.

20. ralfy

ralfy Captain Captain

The two are mutually exclusive, as one can create new stories.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.