Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by bbjeg, Sep 6, 2013.

?

Do fans want the prime timeline back?

1. I'm a fan and I want the Prime timeline back.

56.0%
  2. I'm a fan and I don't want the Prime timeline back.

16.4%
  3. I'm a fan and wouldn't mind if it came back.

11.1%
  4. I don't care, just give me Trek!

14.6%
  5. I don't know.

1.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Thanks for the info, Harvey. I had thought the PG-13 rating came out sometime in the mid-80's, I just couldn't remember when.

I'm not surprised Star Trek: First Contact was PG-13. It was pretty violent and graphic, much like TWOK.

I just wonder why some people keep remembering Trek as nothing but sunshine and rainbows?

2. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Selective memory?

(Which, to be fair, I suffer from often enough, too.)

3. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTlIwB3fnVw[/yt]
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ArVBL8EgKU[/yt]
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNoErHIfrGU[/yt]
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl8BCW1i81M[/yt]
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-gkvrkvH_Q[/yt]
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhRzfg3zLbA[/yt]

I find all these scenes more disturbing than a slug coming out of the ear of Chekov.

4. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Aren't there single episodes of Star Trek (I'm thinking of 'The Doomsday Machine' and 'Operation: Annihilate!' specifically) that feature more death and destruction than both the Abrams movies combined?

5. BillJ

Way to miss everything else I posted on the matter. :rolleyes:

Yeah. Also, don't forget the Space Amoeba from "The Immunity Syndrome" which eats system Gamma 7A and the Cloud from "Obsession" which likely caused all kinds of death and destruction and ate a few red shirts.

The TOS death toll had to have been in the tens of billions.

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Khan was amazingly clean after he "took care" of Marcus. An ounce of realism there and he'd be covered in gore.

Nothing in any of those clips is as gratuitous, unnecessary and disgusting as the end of "Conspiracy" where Picard and Riker destroy Remmick's head.

7. BillJ

Yep. And it doesn't match Terrell's tortured shriek as he disintegrates in TWOK.

Which I'm actually fine with because it fit the story. Just like when we got a close-up of the Borg replacing organic limbs and eyes with cybernetic parts in Star Trek: First Contact.

8. Blip

Blip Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Gratuitous? Disgusting?? Those are hardly the terms I'd use. Hell, these days I'd hesitate to even use the word "graphic" to describe that scene.

9. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

It also occurs to me that the Prime Universe version of Jim Kirk was one of the sole survivors of a genocidal massacre on Tarsus IV.

Kinda makes nuKirk's upbringing seem positively Norman Rockwell by comparison! :)

10. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

You mean this scene

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_Vr9LnogLM[/yt]

11. Ilaliya

Ilaliya Ensign Newbie

I think they should have a series called "Star Trek: Relativity" set in the 29th century, and the mission is to travel around and collapse/remove all those stupid alternate time-lines running around.

In the series finale, they destroy the ability to time travel within the Star Trek universe (in such a way that resolves the paradox -- leave that up to writers), and fade out of existence.

The whole concept of timelines have weakened the Star Trek property. :) In my very humble opinion.

12. BillJ

Time travel has given us many of the best stories across all the Trek series. I'd say keep it.

13. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

Five here as well,and I started watching it in the early 70's (I was born in 1969. )

14. Greg Cox

Okay, I have to ask: What's wrong with "disturbing." Since when was Star Trek not supposed to ever be disturbing.

The Salt Vampire was disturbing. Charlie X wiping the yeoman's face off was disturbing. Joan Collins getting hit by a truck is disturbing. Rukh the murderous android was scary and disturbing. Charon destroying itself in a genocidal race war was disturbing. Christopher Pike, scarred and paralyzed and trapped in that chair, was damn disturbing . . . .

I swear, sometimes I think that if "City on the Edge of Forever" aired today, some fans would object that it wasn't "optimistic" or "utopian" enough:

"Damnit. The real Jim Kirk would have found a way to save the timeline without sacrificing an innocent woman. Star Trek is about science and solving problems, not despair and no-win solutions. And did we really need to see some poor bum get gratuitously disintegrated? Or McCoy strung out on drugs and living in soup kitchen? Talk about a downer! Who the hell is this Harlan Ellison hack anyway?"

15. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

By Trek's standards, it is. I'm fine with it, but I'm not sure I would have been age 6.

16. Greg Cox

I grew up on horror movies. That scene didn't bother me! :)

17. Ilaliya

Ilaliya Ensign Newbie

You don't think they've tapped that well dry?

When they were doing time travel in TNG, it was novel and very cool. Voyager got a little out of hand, but I think they were clever about it. But by ENT, it seemed like the go-to gimmick when the writers were being lazy.

Again, just my opinion. But I just felt like... I wanted to be immersed in the "era" of that particular Star Trek show. One of the cool things about Star Trek (to me), is that it's "hard" enough sci-fi that you get episodes where it's really about exploring the boundaries of technology, and the interaction between technology and people... and how that creates problems but it's used to solve problems.

Too much time travel, and it's like... it's ALWAYS the 29th century. There is no concept of "watching historical events in the Star Trek universe." And getting to see limitations of the technology of that era. Because it's always *now* in the time war.

If that makes any sense.

18. BillJ

They've tapped many wells dry over the past seven hundred episodes and twelve movies. It doesn't mean that there isn't room for more well crafted stories. I'd point most recently to the novel The Rings of Time by fellow TrekBBS member Greg Cox.

The beauty of the Trek format is that there's room for all different types of stories. Too go forward and say that we're going to eliminate one type of story just doesn't set well with me.

19. JariM

JariM Lieutenant Red Shirt

Yes. Today it doesn't look like much but back in the day we didn't really see that stuff on television shows.

That's just the thing. It should not become a crutch for the writers.

20. BillJ

But the thing is, is it really a crutch? When you look across the totality of the franchise, we have maybe four dozen actual time travel episodes out of seven-hundred plus episodes of material.

Across the Original Series, there are five time travel episodes (six if we count TAS).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.