The Walking Dead Season 3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gotham Central, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The asthmatic kid and the person Carl shot were two different people. For some reason several people on different forums are confusing the two.

http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/Noah_(TV_Series)

http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/Jody

2. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Was there ambiguity about what Carl did to that teenager? Sure. Can you reason it out both ways? Absolutely. People are missing the point though. It's not Carl shooting the teenager that is the problem. It's what's going on in his head that's the problem. What he said to his dad should be a red flag.

He is thinking in absolutes. He claimed that Rick should have taken the chance to kill the Governor when they met the 1st time. That could have likely ended up with Daryl, Hershel & Rick himself getting killed.

Despite whether you think Carl was justified in this one situation, his motives are questionable. He will be an executioner far more than he will be a group helper. Hell, they were at such close range, with the advantage, he could have just put a bullet in the kid's hand or arm to make him drop the weapon, but he jumped straight to execution, & whether they were at risk from the teen is not the point.

Why Carl has become so absolute about putting people down is the point, & he doesn't seem to wrestle at all with the morality of that, the way Daryl or Rick do. Righteous men wrestle with that

There will always be risks. Life is risk. Assuming execution is the perfect solution to a risky situation in a dangerous world is reckless & potentially morally corrupting. I wouldn't go so far as to say we're there yet, but it's looming on the horizon, because more than anything... Right now, Carl's out to prove he is hard

And well... that's an extremely shitty motivation, & if it continues, it will cause him more pain than relief, I assure you.

Rick has cause to be concerned, whether this one execution tells the tale or not

3. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Ah, well, then I concede the point about the audience knowing the character better.

4. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Andrea makes it on the list of Most Annoying TV Characters Ever

5. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Apparently the writers were successful with the Carl shooting scene, given the discussion here. :rommie: The bottom line is that the "kid with a gun" looks a lot different from the perspectives of a ten-year-old versus a 60-year-old.

6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Was there any uproar from the Christian's that "this" tried to overshadow Easter for resurrection themed programming last weekend?

It wasn't an accident.

They counted.

Hit their target squarely.

7. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Missed a perfect cameo, though. Guest staring Zombie Jesus! I'd have at least snuck someone with long hair and robes into the background somewhere... :)

8. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One Of the points I think people are missing when they say "The kid had a Gun" is he didn't just have a GUN he had a SHOTgun and a shotgun can be loaded with lead shot or a slug which has the capability of taking out more than one person (especially at that range) with just one shot, Carl probably knows that with his background being around police officers, being from the country and the Zombie Apocalypse.

9. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

I don't no much about weapons but if he had used that kind of ammo, wouldn't the gun be kinda useless against zombies? I don't think anyone would use it, because it is much more likely to run into a zombie than having to take out several living targets at the same time.

10. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Me thinks the only people 'crying,' are regular TV network executives because the two strongest finishes for last Sunday were:

The bible with 11.7 million viewers on the History Channel

and

The Walking Dead with 12.4 million viewers.

It's official, cable television has now officially eclipsed regular TV.

The people at NBC, CBS, and ABC I'm betting are ready to pull their hair out.

11. Rhaven

Rhaven Captain Captain

But this kid wasn't out to shoot walkers. He was part of a group sent to kill the group of living people in the prison.

A shotgun loaded with the proper ammo, can do a lot of damage. Never under-estimate it.

12. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Especially if that kid is already advocating a "kill or be killed" view of life.

13. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Eh, Carl was really cold about it, so needs an attitude adjustment, but I don't see the problem with what he did, either. The kid was shifty, and instead of putting the gun down, he was kinda inching towards the group while still holding it.

Yeah, not imminent danger, but definitely sketchy and not the behavior you should be taking in an active warzone at the end of the world. No consequences to killing you, so if someone tells you to drop it, effing drop it. I'm pretty firmly in the 'shoot him and don't take the chance' camp, given his behavior.

Carl just needs to be less of a dick about it. If he explained it like that, he's probably good. He insists on pretending the guy drew on him, makes him look bad when he doesn't need to, opening the door for Hershel's story to ring true.

"guy that came to kill us was coming towards me with the gun instead of dropping it, I was protecting the group and popped him", end of story.

14. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Exactly and it's the perfect weapon for an inexperienced shooter against the living OR dead as you pretty much have to point in the general direction and pull the trigger.

15. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

However, the writers are brilliant enough to give Chandler Riggs, the actor who plays Carl, dialogue that would be consistent with how a 11-12 year old woulld actually react in such a situation - which is a partial truth about what happened.

As an aside, it's interesting to read what Riggs has to say on Twitter, responding to questions about what he did for Easter, when they start filming again, and getting ready tor High School next year.

16. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

I rewatched the episode, it was better than the first time but I'm still not a fan, having the governor kill his own people was a cheap way to let Rick's group win a battle they shouldn't have been able to win without heavy losses. They also introduced new cannon fodder to be killed off during season 4.
    Looking back the only main characters that died after season one were either irredeemable (Shane), wanted out of their contract (Dale), had to be removed due to the "only one black guy" rule (poor T-Dog) or were hated by big parts of the audience (Lori and Andrea). I don't think they'll dare killing likable characters out of the main group, they did it before they knew the show would be a success, never after it.

I predict that Rick, Daryl, Glenn, Maggie, Carol, Michonne, Beth and Herschel will survive season 4. Carl could die depending on the audience's reaction know that the primary hate targets are gone. Tyrese is as good as dead, he will be upgraded to series regular status next season, be awesome for a few episodes and then meet a horrible end to show that the show still dares to kill main characters.
    In season 5 they'll feel compelled to kill one or two of the "safe" characters, so say goodbye to Beth and/or Herschel. Carol seems to be safer now, she's moving into the slot Andrea should have had if the writer's didn't screw her character up like they did.

I'm in the Carl is a psycho camp by the way, I don't care that much that he killed the teenager, that was justifiable considering he was part of an enemy group that was attacking them and he did not drop his weapon, but that he didn't seem to care that he just took a human life was creepy. He looked him in the eyes, pulled the trigger and then acted like "Had to be done, dinner ready?".
    A normal human being should feel at least conflicted about the situation, he should ask himself if his decision was right and even if he was sure that it was right he should be able to empathize with the dead kid. That kid could have been Carl running into three Woodburyans hiding in the woods, would he have dropped his weapon or would he have tried to do something instead of hoping for mercy after being defenseless?

17. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think that was the point. Carl is no longer a normal child. How could he be after the things he has seen?

18. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

Yes, but that's business. When people find a better product, they abandon the original product. The regular networks are bound by censors and the ridiculous, archaic predefined sweeps periods. They show constant reruns during a present season's original airing. They insist on a 22 episode per season model which ensures some lesser quality episodes when 13 to 16 is far superior. Even 10 to 12 is better. People lose interest.

19. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

With the Governor still at large, and other human threats roaming around, I doubt this line up will all survive the season.

If the show continues to pick and choose which comic storylines to ignore, it is possible to get a shakeup where Carl witnesses just how futile the "kill or be killed" mindset is if the Governor kills someone he cases about (Beth and/or Judith), and he cannot get revenge. He just has to swallow it, as there's no guaranteed answer for every injustice suffered.

That depends on how he's used; if they follow the comic, he will be a source of ill will within the group because of some attention he recieves....TWD producers feed off of that kind of drama (see the 2-season Lori/Shane/Rick soap opera).

I hope she survives, no matter what happens. Next to Herschel, she's the most level headed character--something the group needs more than weapons.

20. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

:lol: :lol: