The Christmas Countdown Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by F. King Daniel, Oct 26, 2010.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I still haven't put the big trees up yet, nor have I started on the cards - but all the singing toys have batteries now. We've got two teddy bears which sing "jingle bells" and "we wish you a merry christmas" while their mouths move. Problem is, they're now more than 10 years old and the creaky mechanism is almost as loud as the singing. But I don't want to get rid of them!

2. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

^"Big trees" plural!-? how many trees are you going to end up with? [​IMG]

3. F. King Daniel

Two. And by "big" I mean compared to the 10" desktop trees I've got by the computer and on top of our (CRT still!) TV. They're skinny fake ones less than 5' tall:lol:.

4. trekkiedane

^Ah, OK, makes sense now.

In related news:

I've just bought the most ugly piece of kitch I've ever seen:

[​IMG]

It's till in the box though (and I'm not even sure I'll ever unpack it).

5. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Now all you need is the rotating, mirrored stand. :lol:

6. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

I have written a Christmas card, wrapped a gift and posted a parcel. I have also picked out and bought our office Secret Santa gift. I'm practically a Christmas planning professional! :lol:

7. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

My international cards were written and posted two days ago, except the one for my dad. We needed a special envelope for that because we had a studio photo taken of the kids some months ago as a surprise gift for him. The kids are making him Christmas cards as I'm typing this, so his package will be ready to go off tomorrow.

Also tomorrow is my last day at work. Yay! Now to concentrate on my law studies...

My husband and I purchased our first real Christmas tree this morning, and it's set up and decorated. It's smaller than our old artificial one (which is good, as the old one was too big) and it looks brilliant. Being utterly anal, however, I'm bound to move some of the ornaments around when the kids have gone to bed. I'm one of those people who self-destructs if there's a blue bauble hanging next to another blue bauble. :lol:

8. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, me, too! In fact, I spend most of Christmas moving ornaments and baubles from one spot on the tree to another, until it's just so. By which time, it's New Year and time to pack to whole thing away! :lol:

9. F. King Daniel

One tree was decorated and put up yesterday evening. It was a new one we'd gotten last year (which I'd totally forgotten about) which was actually 6' tall and a bit thicker.

It looks nice:hugegrin:

10. trekkiedane

took it out of the box...

[​IMG]

11. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

I got her a bracelet and a blue sweater at Kohl's. She's expecting me to buy her the green jacket from Old Navy. Her mother told me to tell my fiancee that I'm broke. :lol:

12. auntiehill

That actually looks pretty cool with the lights on it.

13. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

I was very pleased to be able to give our old artifical tree away today. It was my last day at work and it was the community Christmas party. I brought my old tree, which is still in good condition but is too big for our current house, in the hopes that one of our clients/families would take it. The woman who claimed it is one of my favourite people with whom I've ever worked, so I was pleased with that. That's one less piece of junk out of the garage...8,465(ish) other pieces to go...

The rest of the decorations are slowly going up!

14. F. King Daniel

The second tree (which is only 4', and sat on a low table) is done, and looking great.

I really have to get started on those cards sometime tommorow.

15. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

My Christmas cookies are all baked and ready to give to friends and family. My trees are up and decorated (including my Trek-mas tree), so I'll post pics later. This weekend is the big carol service at church...I hope my voice fully recovers in time.

16. F. King Daniel

17. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

so Easter IS a tad late to take down the tree? all my neighbors pressure my hubs to make me take it down earlier. unless they want to do it themselves it' comes down when I get to it . . .

I do have one tiny tree up and all the Christmas knitting done so the rest is pretty much gravy - cards and a few more gifts - putting up the main tree - it seems a lot less stressful now the eldest child mostly watns cash and practical stuff. how much fun is a phone and mp? nothing like the Christmases of stepping over fantastical lego constructions all over the house and watching the dog chasing/being chased by remote control cars and such . . .

I hear grandbabies are a wonderful remedy for such malaise . . .

18. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

Good to see you around these parts again ORSE!

I'm assuming you're not actually expecting grandchildren to arrive at Christmas - or is that possible?

19. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

thank you! been swamped - but I do also have some delicious fan-fic to catch up on so there's always a silver lining!

no grandchildren on the horizon - just jealous - all my friends have them - I have been advised I am NOT allowed to steal one out of a shopping cart so I just have to be patient. Eldest child really should finish college and sowing the wild oats and all first. . . *sighs*

20. auntiehill

Hubby and I have some shopping to do this weekend, as he hasn't bought a damn thing for his family. Plus, I might get something else for my nephew; the phone decals he wanted look rather cheap now that they've arrived. Maybe I'll add a game or puzzle for him, as well.

Plus, I feel a need to decorate....

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]