Alternate Star Trek II Main Titles

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Indysolo, Aug 9, 2008.

1. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Yeh but it also makes no sense - the Enterprise isn't in space. It's a bridge simulator with a viewscreen.

2. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

But you don't know that! The scene is presented to look like part of the training cruise. Again, showing Starfleet Academy ruins the illusion; showing the Enterprise in space maintains it.

3. cultcross

You do know that about 5 minutes later!
    I'm not advocating showing the academy, but showing the Enterprise ruins the logic and makes Kirk walking onto the bridge from the academy grounds less 'ohhh I get it' and more 'what. the. hell?'
    Yes, it would cement the illusion of the scenario, but it also makes no sense in the context. It'd be like having establishing shots of Kirk's Enterprise inserted into Scotty's bridge holoprogram in Relics.

4. Brutal Strudel

Brutal Strudel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

OK, so howzabout this: we pull back from the starfireld to show the Enterprise viewscreen and then bridge. It ruins the iconic close-up of Spock's ear but it marries the Trek/Wars styles.

5. cultcross

That'd work well, yes.

6. cardinal biggles

It's nothing like that. We know Scotty's on the holodeck because we see him go to the door, tell the computer to punch up the bridge of his old ship, and walk in. "Relics" makes no effort to pretend it's the real bridge of the old Enterprise.

Even panning down to Earth would ruin the illusion that the Kobayashi Maru simulation is a real mission. I know we're trying to somehow fit this into the Star Wars model of panning down to a planet or ship, but Nick Meyer really did it best by just putting us right on the bridge. And it's easy to forget 25 years later, but the whole point of the scene was to be a red herring to all those fans who were pissed over the rumors that Spock would die. It's not a red herring if people don't start the scene thinking these guys are really on the Enterprise, on a real mission somewhere in space.

7. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Besides, the simulator probably has the option for exterior views. Sure, the cleanest option would be to just blur the star field out of focus and go to the computer monitor that opens the movie but, what the hey?

8. Meredith

Meredith Vice Admiral Admiral

I like this idea

9. Aquehonga

Aquehonga Fleet Captain

:techman::techman:

Awesomely :cool:

Wow:beer:

Make more please.

10. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

What would be the point? A simulator simulates the experience of being in a craft. Adding exterior views violates the idea of simulation. It's a SIM, not a joy ride.

I swear...

11. cardinal biggles

God, what is with all the thread necromancy tonight?

12. Cky

Cky Captain Captain

I did NOT expect that.

Bravo.