Hmm. What TMP could have looked like...

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Warped9, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I like it.

3. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

I do, too.

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Pretty sharp. But I think they need to tone down or eliminate the red on the helm/navigator station.

5. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

Looks good. Pity they didn't do that in 79 (along with some action scenes - e.g. Vger commandeered by an angry Romulan from the future who wants revenge on the Federation)

6. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

But that version would have replace Kirk with Stephen Collins as Cadet Pike, and Persis Khambatta as "Number One". No Spock yet.

7. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think it was being thrown around at the time, the idea that they might have ended the movie with a battle sequence between the Enterprise and some Klingon ships. Andrew Probert drew up some sketches of Enterprise seperating its saucer so it could chase off/engage the Klingons, so it was definitely being considered. Don't know why they didn't go with that.

8. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks like an Apple store. :D

9. EnriqueH

EnriqueH Commodore Commodore

I like it too.

I pretty much like TMP as is with my only major problem being the extraneous f/x shots going into V'Ger that weigh the film's pace way down.

But yeah, I think just a liiiiiittle color would've worked in the TMP uniforms. Just don't tell any TMP I said that because I really do like the film.

10. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, the Klingon ships would have been restored by the cloud (along with Epsilon IX space station I would hope) just before it evolved up to the next dimension. The secondary hull would have taken a beating (similar to TWOK) and the separated saucer would set off in pursuit of the Klingons! An actual packed ending to the film that probably felt too out place given how cerebral the rest of it was, hence it was dropped.

It would have been cool to see though.

11. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

I love that look. If that had been TMP look, then it would have made continuity much more logical. :vulcan: :bolian::beer:

12. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Sorry, guys, the Klingons at the end of the movie was an idea Andy drew up, and one of two endings he proposed. Neither was ever seriously considered.

Also, dramatically, it's false. At that point the story is over, as you've resolved The Problem of the film. You've just dealt with the most gigantic threat ever faced and resolved it in a peaceful fashion. You don't throw a pointlessly violent action sequence in afterwards. It's antithetical to the story just told. Instead, you play the tag and roll the end credits.

13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

+1

14. MANT!

MANT! Vice Admiral Admiral

Now if only someone had told the TNG movie makers...
    (yeah, I went there..)

I remember somewhere in my copy of the "Making of Star Trek TMP" that some "futurist" told the costume designer that primary colors would be out in the future, and that earth tones would be in.. otherwise I think we'd seen an updated form of the TOS uniforms in TMP..not the footie pajamas we ended up with..

15. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Very nice work.

16. CaptainMurdock

CaptainMurdock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In my mind, that's how TMP should have looked. Very nice.

17. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like the touches of red. It would have been a great visual tie to the series.

Kor

18. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's because they didn't colorize the helm/nav station the same in both photos. In the top image, there is a back top piece capping the station, so the black edge wraps around the sides a few inches. In the second image, there is no black cap. It's red all the way up.

I think the first image helm console is much better visually.

19. PCz911

PCz911 Captain Captain

But I like the..er..."footie pajamas". Though they look much better with color

20. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

I could easily see an attack by the Klingons being incorporated into the climax with V'Ger, though. It could've added some more pressure and tension in finding the solution. And it would've added some more action to the film, which it certainly needed more of, IMO.

I know that's not exactly what Probert was proposing, but I could see a similar scenario working for the film.