What was the Caretaker doing?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by borgboy, Mar 8, 2015.

1. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

So I've started rewatching Voyager as part of my massive rewatch. I do find it kind of strange that the Caretaker's attempts to find a compatible breeding partner (and he's checking both male and females for compatibility) and it seems like most if not all of the people are dying in the attempt.
    We only see him doing a medical experiment on Kim with a drill thing, and Kim and B'Elanna seem ok. I think I missed some details on what was going on there. Why did Kim and B'Elanna survive when everyone else died? Were they dying from the tests he was running on them or was the Caretaker killing them by raping them? It's pretty squicky although I am fascinated by the Caretaker and his mate. I wish his mate had been used more.

2. Lord Manitou

Lord Manitou Commander Red Shirt

Kim and B'Ellanna were dying when they were underground in the O'campa's world. Kim freaked out when he noticed he was getting sicker and tried desperately with B'Ellana to reach the surface through the mining tunnel. Voyager's doctor saved them.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

6 months or so earlier, I wonder how many of Ransom's crew died from Caretaker rape?

4. borgboy

Thanks, that does help me a bit. I guess I understood more than I thought. I was thinking there was some deeper meaning to that aspect as far as why Kim and B'Elanna lived. That's a bit crap though. If the Doctor could save them then I don't quite get why the others were dying. As powerful and advanced as the Caretaker was, you'd think he could've saved his other victims if he wanted to.

5. Guy Gardener

Maybe in the beginning when he still had time he used to save people from his toxic jizz, but Banjoman was on death's fricking door by the time he barrelled down on Kim.

6. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

I wrote this post on the Trek BBS about The Caretaker back in 2008. I took the liberty to quote it here because it's relevant to this debate and shows my opinion about The Caretaker and Suspiria.

7. Guy Gardener

In Red Dwarf, over the course of three million years, Two Great Cat Civilizations rose up, went to war over god and then left for different corners of the universe. Two cats were left behind. A cripple and an idiot.

Caretaker was the idiot and Susperia was the cripple.

8. borgboy

Thanks Lynx that's really interesting.

Is there any evidence that more Nacene besides the Caretaker and Susperia came to Ocampa, or even our Galaxy? I don't recall ever hearing of more than those two.

It does seem strange to me that the Caretaker was capable of so much yet couldn't repair the damage done to Ocampa in a thousand years. Transplanting the Ocampa somewhere else seems reasonable too. Perhaps the Ocampans were resistant to leaving Ocampa and the Caretaker respected their wishes.

Do you think that the Ocampan's short life span was caused by the Caretaker? I have thought that possibly the unlikely condition of an Ocampan only having one pregnancy could be something the Caretaker did to them to limit their population growth.

It doesn't make sense that the Caretaker ignored the threat of the Kazon.

I don't think the Caretaker ever planned for Kim or B'Elanna to stay on Ocampan - he just wanted his potential future offspring to take his place. If his breeding partners were dying at the attempt of breeding I doubt they'd survive the birthing. It does make me wonder that the Caretaker was trying to breed with both male and females. Obviously he's either hermaphroditic or in some way just breeds in a way so different I can't comprehend even the idea of how it works. The more I think about this the more shady the Caretaker is.

I think the Caretaker was so alien and advanced that he did see the Ocampans as being like very small children and thus incapable of taking care of themselves.

It strikes me as odd that the Ocampans' psychic powers that Kes develops would be somewhat similar to the Caretaker's in a vague sort of way. Is there a connection there, or perhaps the similarity is what drew the Caretaker to them?

9. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

It was established later in conspiracy theory that Caretaker had been sending ships back home after studying briefly, until Voyager and Chakotay's ship was taken. It means the others were stranded on Ocampa with nobody with the medical skill and knowledge to save them.

10. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

In "Caretaker" it was stated that "two of us were chosen to stay behind and protect them". Obviously there were more Nacene who came to the Ocampa system as explorers.

I don't think that the Ocampa had any dialogue or so with The Caretaker in which they could express their wishes to leave the planet or stay. I get the impression that he came up with the solution of creating an underground city.

as for the only one child thing, I think that we can forget that (as a writer error) because if that had been the fact, the Ocampa would hade died out before Voyager arrived or at least they would have known that they were going to die out. Here we have another possibility. Didn't Benaren say something about Kes being his favorite daughter in "Before And After"? Maybe Benaren and Martis had triplets and Kes was one of them?

As for the breeding process, I don't know what to think. I agree that the Caretaker looks shady, not to mention irresponsible, ruthless and egocentric. The theory about the Nacene being so superior and advanced that they looked on the Ocampa and species like humans too as children or ants. But they also seem to be clumsy and irrational.

As for the Ocampa powers, I guess that they had them before the Nacene showed up but stopped using them when the Caretaker took care of all their needs. I don't think that the Caretaker gave them their abilities.

11. Kobayshi Maru

Kobayshi Maru Commodore Commodore

They too had a doctor, remember? So maybe zero, as well.

12. Guy Gardener

That would Require Ransom going to Ocampa to get his crew back.

His go to move was to use the magnetic poles of a planet to hide from his enemies.

13. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

This is why it's easier to see the Caretaker as a villain.

14. Guy Gardener

Rapists are hardly ever heroes.

15. borgboy

I have thought that although the Ocampans only have one pregnancy that multiple babies were common, and that the limit was artificially placed on them by the Caretaker.

16. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because he didn't want to have to dig more caves?