Star Trek Into Darkness & The Bechdel Test

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Shaka Zulu, Jun 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Goddamn I wish one could make a decent acronym from this. :lol:

2. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

I prefer the Council Of Canon Affairs: Contemporary Obsessions Letdown Agency, they come with free soft drinks.

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Because other people always know what's best for you. :techman:

4. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

How do you think people first reacted to the casting in TOS? Gene certainly wanted to see both gender and racial diversity in TOS, and it did make a positive cultural impact to see that. Was that merely "pandering" or making a statement? Why do so many Trek fans now put a negative slant on this sort of thing?

Was Avery Brooks not "pandering"? Was Kate Mulgrew not "pandering"? Diversity is baked into the DNA of Trek.

5. BillJ

It wasn't Gene, it was advertisers and the studio. Look at how male and white The Cage was.

I like to think that Avery Brooks and Kate Mulgrew were the best actors for the respective jobs. Man or woman, black or white.

6. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

You have it backwards. I don't care if a version of Trek is perfectly gender and racially balanced in its casting. If that's what the people making that version want--excellent. I will reserve the right to like it or not but I will NOT feel entitled to satisfaction on my terms. What I object to (and I presume this applies to at least a few others) is the idea that because it is Star Trek, it should automatically satisfy The Committee for the Way Things Ought to Be (patent pending ;)). NO artistic endeavour should do so out of a sense of duty or obligation. It should only do so if that is what the artist wants.

7. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

Ah, yeah, okay. So, remember, if you ever need major surgery to let the fresh intern do it because he's bright and he shadowed the head surgeon for a few months... Makes sense. :cardie:

Me personally? I'm going with the next best skilled surgeon that works in the surgery/operation department and has been doing it for years.

8. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

That's pretty clearly not the case.

9. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Do you demand such realism from all your entertainment? Clearly the artistic choice here is to use a main character rather than some no-name. This happens all the time and not just in Trek.

10. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

I hope this debate will lead to something positive instead of the circles we seem to be arguing in.

11. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

JJ is reading it right now and planning a BIG conversation between Marcus and Uhurua in 3 all about their periods.

12. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Actually, I hear he's planning a new universe version of TAS' Lorelei Signal--except, in a stunning reversal of the original, the men will rescue the women. :shifty:

13. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Chippendales Signal?

14. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Yes!!!! That is exactly what the next movie needs. I know my wife would actually go to see a Trek movie at the cinema if that were the movie title. :lol::lol::lol:

15. BillJ

Boy, I think some heads around here would literally explode. Bring The Chippendales Signal on! :guffaw:

16. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Of course, Cupcake has to be the one who saves the day. It's only fair to give some time to a secondary character. ;)

17. BillJ

:lol:

18. BillJ

Star Trek Into the Crimson Menace is a catchy title. :techman:

19. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

:guffaw::guffaw:

(I'd leave town for a few days if I were you. :lol:)

20. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I thought it might be a nod to LaForge going from Conn Officer to Chief of Engineering.

As I mentioned above, Picard made Geordi, a Lt jg, his chief engineer and Worf, also a Lt jg, his Security Chief, even though neither one were assigned to those departments. Were there not officers in the Engineering and Security Departments that had more experience? Or perhaps it just made more sense to use existing characters in those roles?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.