Why would someone avoid STID but see Iron Man & Man Of Steel? spoilers

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Bones, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Bones

Bones Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This question is perplexing me. Taking into account US & International sales, Iron Man did $1B+ & Man Of Steel appears on its way to $1B. STID did $400m, clearly a hit but not in the same league as the other two.

How is this possible? I can't imagine someone saying "I'm into action heroes but not into Star Trek", but apparently this is happening. Looking further @ rotten tomatoes, STID did better on the tomatometer, so its not like the movie s*cked. Even if some of the core fan base was alienated by the rehashing of TWOK, it doesn't account for the absence of the mass market.

So what do people think is happening?

2. TommyW

TommyW Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Re: Why would someone avoid STID but see Iron Man & Man Of Steel? spoi

Star Trek has a stigma attached to it. It's just not "cool"

3. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I think it's just a case that Star Trek is not as popular as Trekkies think it is. Sure, the Abramsverse movies reinvigorated it (and then some) as a movie franchise, but they're still not a must-see thing for many non-Trekkies like Man of Steel, Iron Man 3, and Fast & The Furious 6. Still, that doesn't take away from Star Trek XII being a successful movie in its own right and potentially the biggest ever among Trek movies.

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Superman remains, like Mickey Mouse, tremendously better known around the world than Star Trek - actually, tremendously better known just in the U.S. proper.

Man Of Steel is also a more accessible, better written movie than STID, which no doubt helped in what was a more effective marketing campaign than the Trek movie had.

5. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

I have never watched any Harry Potter movies because it does not appeal to me.... so I guess many people have the same point of view about Star Trek.

6. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

One might say the same thing about superhero comic books. But movies based on those comic books often perform extremely well.

7. Roald

Roald Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think if STID had come out in 2011 (like it should have), we would be seeing totally different numbers... The 4 year gap was way too long for a film that 'only' made 257m. It should have been followed up a lot sooner, and it might have been the mega-hit I was hoping for...

8. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Spoilers for MoS and STID to follow...

Very puzzling, especially given the fact MoS also rehashes a villain with previous big screen exposure.

Or, maybe not so puzzling, if we're willing to at least consider the possibility MoS rehashes Zod in a better way than ID rehashes Khan? *slaps self for even thinking such blasphemy*

Would taking the time to fill in all the Khan back-story, even if they totally retconned it, made it longer to compensate that time taken, have better resonated with audiences the way MoS seems to be doing?

9. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

Iron Man 3 has good A-list actors and is a little bit more grounded in terms of sci-fi. It doesn't have as much stigma to get over.

10. PIKER

PIKER Ensign Red Shirt

Lens flares. :cool:

Sorry, somebody had to say it... :devil:

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

No. It wasn't necessary for anyone to trot out that lame, four year-old joke at all.

12. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To the GA, Star Trek movies come out every two minutes. Iron Man 3 benefited from all The Avengers goodwill.

13. Bones

Bones Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

These are all pretty reasonable factors.

I hope (probably in vain) that some suit in Paramount won't say "We left $600m on the table with STID vs IM3 or MoS, and therefore we can't count on it for a summer tentpole", leading to serious budget cuts and a probable Holiday Season release for the next movie. Don't care too much about the release date but I'd worry about the budget cuts w/r/t production values.

I doubt that another movie is off the table.

Interesting the production team has been quiet since opening weekend. I think they're in a state of shock.

14. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't worry too much about Star Trek XIII. Ultimately, Star Trek XII will do better than Star Trek XI once everything is counted (it's already looking that way now). If there is a reduction in budget for the next movie, we probably won't notice unless it's like half or something.
    :confused:
    I don't know why they would be. They probably just moved on to other projects.

15. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.

I would simply guess that people prefer one type of movie to the other.

But Buzzkill said it best.

Have you seen Man of Steel ?

16. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Comic books and comic book based movies just don't have the stigma attached to them in the way Star Trek does. Comic books and comic book based movies have overcome the stigma or the most part.

17. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.

I'm not sure there's much stigma attached to Trek anymore. Anyone that thought so back in the early 90s is 20 years older now, and 2009 changed a lot of opinions, I think

18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

I think audiences simply have an easier time connecting with contemporary action/sci-fi vs. futuristic action/sci-fi.

I wouldn't be surprised if the bulk of the next film takes place during the 20th/21st century. Perhaps we will actually get to see the Eugenics War plus you have a natural reason to bring back Cumberbatch.

Kirk fighting Khan on his home turf.

19. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I went to a late August, early September screening of ST09 in IMAX. Waiting for the film to start I overheard some joker behind me state: "This movie better not turn my son into a nerd."

If that ended up being the case for his son I do not know, but I kind of hope it did.

20. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

When I spoke of stigma, I meant the flops at the box office and on TV. Trek was on a downward spiral and I think it's great that JJ has been able to be as successful with it as he has been given that history. I'm not sure how we could expect that much more.