Downton Abbey - Am I Missing Something?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Frontier, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Apparently both actors wanted to leave. Interesting interview here says in part:

Jan

2. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

I was hoping she would move out and live her life.
    Because that's be honest her family does not really care about her.

3. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Or Homicide, post-Andre Braugher. Which was still good, but it lacked something.

QFT.

I really don't know what to add to this.

Perhaps the "Canadian" heir, Patrick, will return. Even though the new baby is the Earl's grandson, Patrick is still closer in the succession than Matthew was and his son will be.

I enjoyed the third season, but I didn't like it. It felt too aimless, there wasn't a "Big Bad" plot element that affected everyone, and the storylines were all over the map. I hope that Matthew's death can actually shake the pieces up somewhat and get the series out of the ditch it seems to be stuck in.

4. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

But as the Earl's grandson through his own daughter, wouldn't the kid be the most direct heir? Even Patrick was only a second cousin to the Earl. Besides, didn't Patrick die on the Titanic? For real?

5. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

nope the female line does not matter, otherwise Mary would have it all.

6. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Correct Stk! The estate goes though the males...Matthew's son would inherit regardless of who the mother was, a Crawley female was irrelevant.

I like how Matthew's plan was confirmed to be the correct direction. It's had a year to be implemented and it's been successful enough to have saved Downton. I'm hoping Tom steps up.

Regarding Thomas...is it possible he would instigate that beating to get on James' good side? It doesn't seem likely, since the muggers had ample reason to mug James--all that money he was flashing. And, again, it's been a year since their dust up so maybe things are better between them.

7. Pavonis

^Fine, so regardless the new baby is the heir, and "Patrick" is not closer in the line of succession.

8. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

No, I don't think it was in any way planned. But since Thomas still carries a torch for James, it was only natural he would step in to try to save the little idiot. I liked how they "buried the hatchet," so to speak, and agreed to be friends. It was probably the first grown-up thing we've seen James do.

9. Ood Sigma

Ood Sigma Commander Red Shirt

Just watched it last night. That totally sucked. Still upset about it, and my wife is even more broken up about it. She literally screamed at the end.

I noted that the 2011 Christmas special was depressing until the last 60 seconds, which was awesome. Then the 2012 one is the exact opposite...

10. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Matthew's son may inherit the estate; it depends on how Reggie Swire's money was invested into it. (Was the money added to the entail? Or did Matthew buy the estate from Robert?)

But Patrick is still a closer heir to the Earldom than Matthew's son because Matthew's patrilineal ancestor is further back than Patrick's.

The laws of inheritance were reformed in, I think, 1923, which may make all of this moot.

11. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

After what happened with Cora's money and the Entail, I'd like to think Robert wasn't so backwards as to do the same thing to Matthew, who he loved like a son.

12. Pavonis

A moot point if Patrick is dead, which was established in the first episode, correct? The Canadian impostor was just that - an impostor. Or is that wrong?

13. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Matthew becoming heir to the title depended upon Cousin Patrick being declared dead. If the burned officer could have that overturned, wouldn't he have done it by now? But he hasn't because he's really some other guy named Gordon.

Matthew was the heir to the title, and also the heir to the Swire money. It's hard for me to imagine why he wouldn't combine it all with the estate which was his to inherit, but either way the baby should get the whole ball of wax.

14. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Since Patrick IS evidently dead, Matthew is heir. His son, is next-in-line because he is the male heir to Matthew. If the boy were to die without an heir, they'd have to backtrack through the line again, to find another Crawley male. Since this is all through the male line, it is most likely it would be someone named Crawley.

Unless that person, or someone earlier in his line, was "adopted" by another family. He would still be in the male line of succession. See Pride and Prejudice's Mr. Collins being heir to Mr. Bennet's estate, although it was entailed to the male line. Mr. Collins' father and Mr Bennet were cousins and had a falling out. I don't remember why, but it might've been due to just such an adoption--or a fight over Mrs. Bennet (lol).

15. Winged Victory

Winged Victory Captain Captain

I completely agree. He was the glue of the show. How can Mary go on with her life so quickly? I've read that she'll be getting a new romance next season, which picks up only six months after the Christmas episode. :wtf: I've loved this show since the first season, and now I wish I hadn't bought the Season 3 Blu-Ray. :(

Cousin Rose just rubs me as a Sybil wannabe. If she ends up with Branson, I think my eyes won't stop rolling. Fellowes might even ditch writing the show if his pilot for "Gilded Age" gets picked up. I hope next year will be better if it's DA's last.

16. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

I've had this underlying urge to see this show completely jump the shark. Season 5 should be set in 2013 with Maggie Smith playing the same role too.

17. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Shark Jump, make a Doctor Who crossover set in 1963 for the anniversary. She can play the Doctor's regeneration into Hartnel.

18. stoneroses

stoneroses Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

19. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Agreed. She's like the Meg Griffin of the series.

BTW, Serial thread killer, where did you get that Edith av? I've been thinking of switching mine to something with Branson or Daisy or Hughes&Patmore.

Not quite. While Pembleton was a dominant character, he wasn't the point-of-view character. A better analogy would be if they'd gone on with Season 8 without Tim Bayliss.

While Thomas may still carry a torch for Jimmy, I would think that he would still give him a wide berth. After all, it's only thanks to Jimmy's good graces that Thomas isn't in prison under Britain's anti-buggery laws.

I keep thinking of Doctor Who answers to the Matthew problem. Like, can't he just regenerate into Matthew Goode or Tom Hiddleston or something? Or maybe they can bring him back as a plastic Roman for no reason. ("It's all a bit fuzzy. I died and turned into a Roman. It's very distracting.")

20. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And speaking of inheritances, Daisy's story was rather left hanging, wasn't it? She had apparently mended fences with Ivy, but nothing more was heard about the farm. Good old Mr Mason had one of my favorite lines of the season (paraphrase): "Do you think houses like Downton will go on the next forty years just as they are? Because I don't."

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013