A Khan Sequel ?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by srombomb, May 12, 2009.

?

Khan in the sequel?

1. YES

13.9%
  2. NO

86.1%
  1. srombomb

srombomb Lieutenant Red Shirt

I think some people are afraid to retread similar characters, but the producers of the Dark Knight didn't shy away from bringing the Joker character back as a lead villain, and I think the writers of Trek would be doing themselves a disservice to not bring back and update such a multi-layered character in Trek lore.

Only this time, instead of being hampered by a 12 million dollar budget like Harve Bennett and co. was, they will have ample money to spend to create locations and situations that we never got to see in the original Wrath of Kahn. Namely, a proper fight scene between Kirk and Kahn. I always thought that was just ridiculous the Shat and Ricardo Montalban never got screen time together in WOK. Your telling me they couldn't have at least had the two fight inside a corridor? Anyway, the point is with a bigtime budget, you could truly make Kahn and his followers that much more menacing. I also think another element needs to be in play. Double the danger. Maybe Kahn aligns himself with the Klingons? Maybe Kahn steals the Enterprise altogether? So many possibilities.

But seriously, people would come to the theatre in droves to see a sequel with Kahn as a headliner. Even those who are saying right now they don't like the idea of bringing him back, would indeed be first in line.

Oddly enough, a week ago, I told my brother the only actor I could see even holding a candle to Ricardo Montalbans performance would be Javier Bardem. Glad to see the writers see it the same way. He has the menacing look one would need to pull it off, as well as the acting chops. Bardem could play Kahn more like what Montalban did in Space Seed, very serious with less focus on one liners.

Anyone agree Kahn should be in a sequel?

2. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

Re: My argument for a Kahn sequel...

I want to see him at some point.

3. srombomb

And that's my point, who wouldn't wanna see Kahn again on the big screen? The key would be making him evil enough so that the audience doesn't lose sight of the characters their supposed to love: Kirk and co.

I do think they should tighten up the next movie and make it much more serious, much more Dark Knight in the sense the characters truly look like they don't know what there dealing with if Kahn is to be the lead antagonist.

Maybe Kahn and his followers have on board something like a disease that could wipe out everything in existence from their time period. There are so many possibilities in terms of what you could make Kahn and co. all about this time out.

4. Brutal Strudel

Brutal Strudel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm all for it. Especially if Wilmer Valderama plays him.
    "We have some questions--"
    "I grow fatigued."
    "But Khan--"
    "I said good day!"

5. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't mind seeing "Kahn" at all--it would be neat to explore an entirely new villain--as long as they stay away from "Khan", he's old hat. ;) :lol: (sorry, couldn't resist).

To be honest, I'd put that way down on my list of things to do with sequels. I am happy to shed "canon" precisely because it opens up NEW possibilities. I don't want to rehash old ones.

6. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

What about dual villains -- one old, one new? Khan can be the minor bad guy who turns out to be the bigger problem at the end.

7. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

Exactly how I feel. Besides, the Khan everyone remembers is a revenge film. Space Seed v2.0 wouldn't be as intriguing on the big screen, nor would it make a good starting point unless they really went to Dark Knight levels of writing. Which wouldn't work.

8. T'Paul

T'Paul Commander

I think that the filmmakers are pretending that Star Trek is in the same universe we live in, and it would be tough to explain why we haven't been through the Eugenics Wars.

9. srombomb

Yeh I agree, you need more than just Kahn. A third element has to be in play to keep it from seeming like a total remake of Wrath of Kahn.

I say have Kahn be the reason an interstellar war gets set off. And maybe reveal Kahn not until the midway point of the movie as being the cause.

10. Garibaldi O'brien

Garibaldi O'brien Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wilmer Valderama! :eek:

Oh that's not a Khan choice to me. I like the guy, but watching Fez play Khan would take a lot more performance power than I think he has.

Now Antonio Bandares or John Leguizamo maybe...

11. Captain_Rogers

Captain_Rogers Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I disagree.

I want to see something completely different and new, I don't want retreads of religious canon.

I would much prefer to see something where going in I have absolutely no clue about anyone. I want it all to be a surprise and new.

A new alien species maybe, anything but that which has already been.

12. T'Paul

T'Paul Commander

How could a new alien species show up without time travel. The area of space within the Federation's range in the movie time period has already been well explored by the TNG era.

13. Garibaldi O'brien

Garibaldi O'brien Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The movie I want next is an "Arena" movie. It's one of the episodes that I would love to see get a JJ movie treatment. Then, some sort of Space Ameoba / Doomsday Machine for the third film. Although, as I type it I can't help but think that Nero's red-matter mining rig is already a very pointy Doomday machine without the gaping maw fatal flaw...

14. Brutal Strudel

Brutal Strudel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was kidding, you know.

15. T'Paul

T'Paul Commander

I think Richard Simmons would make a great Khan.

16. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would think this movie would set up the Klingons for the next one. The Federation is severely weakened with the loss of planet Vulcan (and all those Vulcans) and Starfleet losing several ships and most of a graduating class.

17. DeafPoet

DeafPoet Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd be up for Khan if they had a really cool idea. Like an unimpeachable idea. Because if it's less than stellar it'll make the fan bitching over Trek XI look like nothing by comparison.

18. T'Paul

T'Paul Commander

All that shit is more than made up for by future tech that Old Spock brings with him. Transphasic torpedoes, ablative armor, and all kinds of other shit.

19. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Khan might be interesting. They have to get a great actor though.

20. Lyon_Wonder

Lyon_Wonder Captain Captain

I think if they reuse any TOS villain it has to be Khan! While they’re at it they can rewrite future events on 21st century earth to be more consistent since I believe the Abramsverse is a separate universe. No Eugenics wars in the 1990s or sub light ships in the 1990s-2010s that are much more advanced than we have now. Maybe in the Abramsverse Khan was actually responsible for WW3 in the 2050s and sometime after the war’s aftermath flees in a prototype ship outfitted with cryostasis that eventually became adrift, which the Enterprise stumbles upon in the 23rd century.