"Polaris"

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Admiral Buzzkill, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

The problem with getting rid of the foreground is: it's really there on location. We're stuck with it. :lol:

2. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wasn't suggesting fading it out entirely, just bringing in the atmospheric haze after the first few seconds almost as if the camera is literally pulling back all the way from orbit to the surface of the planet. But it was just a thought.

Are you? The two guys on the left in the final frame are fully visible a little earlier and they're basically standing still. You could probably superimpose their legs over the rest of the shot and no one would ever notice at this distance. The guy on the right who's walking away from the camera and disappears behind the foreground ridge could probably be painted out entirely if you don't mind losing him in this one shot. The entire foreground could be painted out along with him and replaced with a less distracting patch of desert floor to match what's already there.

Mind you, this is all coming from someone with only a rudimentary knowledge of the technical requirements of accomplishing what I'm suggesting, so take it for what it's worth. I find that foreground ridge to be a real detraction from the true focal point of the shot (the crashed ship), but maybe that's just me.

3. FredtheRedshirt

FredtheRedshirt Ensign Red Shirt

I fully understand Northstar's ponts. The 'unreal' appearance of the galaxyis the first thing I noticed about this. I already discussed that with Maurice, Dennis, etc. So I won't rehash those comments.

I will add that 'artistic licences' is apropos in the sense that the sky looks like a mural (or a matte painting).

For a similarly inspired scene but intended to be realistic I suggest the final scene from "The Quiet Earth".

4. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

My reaction to all of this is... wow, NASA has totally spoiled us! We know so much more what other worlds look like in photos than we did in the 1950s and 1960s... it's not just CGI, it's the viewer's knowledge.

5. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

Thank you for that... I was trying to place where I'd seen something similar before. I adore that final scene in The Quiet Earth... so haunting and beautiful, even some 30 years later. :cool:

6. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Not exactly realistic looking.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  7. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

But haunting and lovely, nonetheless.

8. Maurice

My response about realism was to Fred. There's nothing realistic about that shot. Hell, the lighting on the beach and that on the planet doesn't even match. :)

9. wtriker1701

wtriker1701 Commander Red Shirt

Beauty and realism... wonderful!
    My wife once was a beauty, now she's a realist! :cool:

I love the galaxy shot!

10. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Agreed, I like it.

11. Maurice

I happen to like the aforementioned Quiet Earth shot, but it proves that we don't need to be "realistic".

12. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Err, the whole thing is nice and I love the look of the lander, but that Galaxy? It was my wallpaper on OSX Lion for about a year and a half. I'd say using such a well known image (at least in its current form with no alterations) is very distracting.

EDIT: Ok, its not the exact same photo - but still, the thought crossed my mind "Hey! Thats my old desktop wallpaper!". Maybe its just me? I dunno, but that took me out of the shot. If its gonna be corrected further to match the sky then maybe it won't be much of an issue.

13. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

To me, I believe you are striving for a 50/60ish vibe to the production. Now, if this was produced in the 50's, I think the galaxy in the night sky would be a conceit in the script. The write imagining a distant planet with a full view of a galaxy. I can see that put into a script from the 50's.

14. Maurice

DEAD LINK.

Anyway, the issue with posting things like this in isolation is that people pick them apart because they're not seeing them in the context of the film (I've been guilty of same); when you see it as part of a sequence of shots you're not as focused on the imperfections of each.

BTW, this planet is in the galactic halo outside the spiral arms, hence the viewing angle.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  15. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=M...t0QX4lIGIAg&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=2560&bih=1265

Well it should be the first image there. You're right - its one tiny piece of the finished product, but its just something that really stuck out for me.

16. FredtheRedshirt

17. FredtheRedshirt

And that is a fair point.

18. FredtheRedshirt

19. Maurice

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  20. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member