Would TMP have been better had they used the TOS uniforms?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by CaptainMurdock, Feb 17, 2013.

1. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

Although he didn't wax his body hair off the way he did in the TOS days, so you see his hairy arms in the short-sleeved shirt. Then you have Bones beaming aboard looking like a cross between a hippie and a pimp. TMP is the epitome of 70s leisure-suit sensibilities. No other live-action Trek has that 70s vibe to it, which is why I still like TMP, although I'm also glad they moved on afterwards. A little of that goes a long way.

2. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He may not have had hairy arms in the TOS days, but he certainly had hairy armpits.

http://images.wikia.com/startrek/images/archive/6/65/20100629155834!Mirror_Kirk.jpg

;)

3. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't understand this point. An organization can't want to do anything, and when the people who run it make changes, they make them for some underlying reason. Making large-scale decisions based on personal whims is not realistic, no matter the century.

But my criticism wasn't based on incompatibility with the real world, but with its own established precedent.

4. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I don't know why, it's real simple: Starfleet sometimes has its own reasons for doing things. It can't get any more simpler than that, truly.
    See above statement.
    The only established precedent about Starfleet uniforms is that they frequently change. In light of any onscreen explanation for why they change, all we can go on is speculation and change just for the sake of change is as valid an idea as any other.

5. J.T.B.

No, it's really not as valid as any other. Large organizations with vast assets and many thousands of personnel do not make large institutional changes just for the sake of change, that's just not realistic.

6. C.E. Evans

Of course it is. You may not like it, but things do happen for arbitrary reasons or simply for reasons you disagree with.

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Yet we watch Starfleet do it all the time.

8. J.T.B.

We may not know the reason, but that's not the same as saying that things happen for no real reason other than change for its own sake. If you think Starfleet is the kind of organization where the top admiral can wake up one morning and say, "I think we need a change. Fancy maroon uniforms for everyone, make it so!" then you picture a very different type of organization than I do.

9. C.E. Evans

But change for its own sake is indeed as real a reason as any other.
    I see Starfleet as it's own thing. And truly, the reason for the change of uniforms in TWOK could really be as simple as a decision from TPTB to give Starfleet personnel a public makeover after the TMP uniforms had run their course.

10. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

And yet ST:TMP established that Starfleet vessels had "spray 'n' wear" clothing. See the Ilia Probe cool-down sequence. (The novelization and background press releases explained a lot of what we were seeing.) Surely uniform redesigns in this era are a simple matter of changing a computer command?

How often do we see airlines change all their flight attendants uniforms? Fashions change quickly and corporate uniforms can become dated if they don't keep pace.

11. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TMP never expressed explicitly that all the uniforms were "spray 'n' wear", though. Just the robe the Ilia probe wore was even presented as such. As the other uniforms put on the appearance of pajamas, or worse, underwear in far too many instances, it's possible that Starfleet decided to move away from a style that at least looked flimsy and easily damaged, and toward one that, for all its formality, would stand up to constant wear.

12. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

"Looked flimsy" doesn't mean actually flimsy, any more than the other uniforms would "stand up to constant wear".

13. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

Think of how often a TOS shirt got torn to shreds. They even joked about that cliche in Galaxy Quest. Trek uniforms were always flimsy and very rarely did they use those excursion jackets. The Khan style uniforms looked like they could take the most beating, and the wardrobe dept did get a lot of mileage out of them. Supposedly some of the uniforms originally created for Khan were still in use through Trek VI, although they were fraying by then.

14. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Has anybody made the necessary comment that had they used the TOS uniforms, the movie would have been enhanced by the audience being able to enjoy viewing the shapely legs of the female Enterprise crew.

15. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TOS uniforms could have been made out of Kevlar-reinforced denim and Kirk's shirt still would have gotten torn regularly. It was a common trope in 1960s TV action series for the leading man to get stripped of his shirt by his heroics.

I concede that the TWOK uniforms looked heavier and possibly more durable, but they also looked terribly overwrought. If those jackets had been dress jackets for a standard duty uniform underneath, I think the look would have been more compatible with previous efforts to represent quasi-military uniforms in the Trek universe. Imagine if, after Kirk's inspection of the Enterprise, the crew ditched the jackets to reveal something more familiar and less formal underneath.

16. CaptainMurdock

CaptainMurdock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Turtleneck shirts with the matching vest Kirk wore on the Genesis Cave would have made good daily wear.

17. FormerLurker

This is an "If Only" speculation, but it's possible that someone somewhere along the line had that intention. I for one would have liked to see it.

18. CaptainMurdock

CaptainMurdock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not sure if your referring to my post but, in ST III when Savvik wasn't wearing her big WOK excursion Jacket, she had the turtleneck with vest outfit on under.

19. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Uniforms? That was one of the least of that movie's problems. Glacial pacing, dull characters, and a story that was nothing more than Nomad redux were some of the things needed to make that snooze fest a better film than uniforms.

20. FormerLurker

CaptainMurdock, I was indeed referring to your post Directly Above Mine.