The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PsychoPere, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

Wow, they're going British again with the casting. I wonder how Morrissey's American accent will fare. Lincoln does a pretty good job hiding his. I've never read the comics. I take it this Governor is sadistic?

2. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's possible that the group would react much worse to this news than we are. They're in the middle of a mind-bendingly hellish situation, and we're just typing away from the comfort of our parents' basements, without so much of a waft of ice-hot zombie breath on our necks...so we can afford to be pretty blase. What's their problem, humanity has survived worse, get a grip you wimps. :rommie:

But here's the problem: the storyline is not being judged by how the characters react, but what the audience thinks of it. If the audience sees a plot twist and thinks, pfft who cares, then it's a bad plot twist.

If that plot twist turns out to be true, it's got two strikes against it: the audience has already figured it out (some surprise) and has already found reasons to reject it.

Part of a storyteller's job is to know how the audience will react to a story - and hopefully to come up with twists the audience cannot predict.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  3. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yep.

4. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, I imagine several of the "bigger" things he does will be "shown" off-screen - implied, rather than actively depicted.

Very much so.

5. the G-man

As I've said before, there are certain realities of TV production that are going to require significant deviations from what I understand to be the comic book storyline.

One is that Carl is going to have be recast, written out or the entire show subject to a time jump.

Another is that, given the budget constraints on the show as is. For example, I doubt the producers are going to want to go the time and expense of having a lead character played by
    an actor with two hands
    spend the rest of the series
    without a right hand
    , though I could be wrong.

6. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^Yeah, the long sleeve shirt gag can only go so far.

7. the G-man

Yep. A couple of episodes of hiding, for example, Michael Rooker's arm are going to be hard enough on a show that had to reportedly cut the zombie budget already.

8. Disruptor

Disruptor Commodore

Everyone watched the Oscars instead?

Pretty good episode tonight, though one that really didn't resolve anything...except maybe that blonde girl...who was annoying.

Why they hell were they cutting themselves? Rick is getting nutzoid. Walkers are going come to the fence regardless. I notice in movies and tv people cut their hands, too. Just cut the one of the most used parts of your body...great idea. Why not the soles of your feet, too?

A pike or sorts would be better, you have to get close with a knife, you don't want to get close to walkers.

The punk kid is an idiot. "I know Maggie" = "Kill me!" Shane is right, not cuz his ruthlessness is always correct, but because that kid is too stupid to deserved to be saved.

Lots of cast members were absent tonight, didn't afffect much...but it noticable.

9. Dorian Thompson

Nobody discussing tonight's episode? Did everyone watch the Oscars instead? Great episode. So--will they end up killing the kid or not? I can't see Rick putting a bullet through his brain. I just can't see it. Not if he isn't directly threatening them.

I can't say, even though her remarks to Lori about Lori were essentially correct, that I agree with Andrea's nonchalant attitude about letting Beth kill herself. Sometimes people are able to come through these things because someone was there preventing them from jumping off a cliff until they could come through. If she has Jimmy, she has a reason to go on. A partner, if you will. Sometimes you have to hold on tight to whatever you have. I understand Maggie telling her to fuck off and get out of the house.

10. Disruptor

Disruptor Commodore

I agree. I've never bought into that type of thinking about suicide in real life. Some people have to watched until they realize they have things/people to live for.

11. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I'm a little hazy, but is Jimmie married to Beth? If so, where the hell was he while she was playing suicide girl?

Lori getting called on her bullshit by Andrea = priceless.

Also, was this one week later? Rick made a comment at the beginning of the episode that sounded as much. If so, are we to believe that punk kid had never talked in that entire time?

This episode was a trainwreck.

12. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  13. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

When Shane was in the bus and he saw Rick and Randall take off in the car I thought "Hey, Shane...how does it feel like to be on the other end of how you think people should deal with things in this new world? Feels good, don't it?".

14. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What is the deal with Randall's leg? I thought they cut it off.

15. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder how much of our real life economic disaster plays into people's appetite for fictional disasters and how to adapt and survive?

On topic: I as well that it was a great episode.

16. Dorian Thompson

No, Hershel went in and patched it up, apparently, but there's nerve damage from it being impaled. They were only going to cut it off to get him off the fence because the clock was ticking and walkers getting close.

17. DarthTom

Plus if he's going to be a regular character, the CGI and/or camera tricks to make him the one legged warrior would have been very expensive.

18. Alpha Romeo

Alpha Romeo Vice Admiral Admiral

Train wreck? Are you kidding? Thought it was great.

19. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

^^ Agreed... Rick has just about had enough and by kicking the crap out of Shane, we can tell that he's the one who actually fighting for something besides himself. I actually didn't hate Lori in this episode, and I liked the fact that she agreed with Andrea (while not agreeing with her methods) regarding the suicide issue.

20. DarthTom

Andrea also had a great point. Why would women automatically be the one's to wash clothes and cook the food? It's sexist to assume that women would automatically fall back into that roll in this situation.