When did New Frontier "Jump the Shark"?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Nathan, Dec 31, 2013.

1. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Seeing as how New Frontier was killed by the editors, rather than Peter David, I can't imagine them being interested in allowing the characters to cameo elsewhere.

2. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

I must admit I don't understand the logic behind that. What does it matter if Calhoun or Mueller turns up at a briefing? I can understand Peter David being paid some sort of honorarium or royalty because they're his characters, but from a plot standpoint, why is it implausible to have them there?

--Sran

3. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Agreed, seeing as how both Mackenzie Calhoun and Elizabeth Shelby & their marriage were mentioned in Kirsten Beyer's Voyager "Protectors".

4. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Actually, not even that. They aren't his characters, the characters belong to CBS/Paramount, lock, stock, and phaser banks. Everything that appears in Star Trek fiction is wholly owned by CBS and even characters created for the novels are owned by them, and us writers have no rights to them whatsoever. I don't own Nan Bacco, Peter doesn't own Soleta, Christopher doesn't own Choudhury, Dave doesn't own Smrhova, Andy & Mike don't own Ree, Dean Smith doesn't own Vale, Mike Friedman doesn't own ben Zoma, etc. etc., and none of us gets any kind of "honorarium" when our characters are used elsewhere.

5. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Even if NF was killed by the editors, there is no reason at all that the ships and characters can't turn up elsewhere. As Christopher has pointed out several times, the authors have a lot of autonomy and could easily fit them in.

Personally, having thought very highly of Imzadi, NF was rather a culture shock. It didn't feel like 24th century Trek to me. It took some of the more ridiculous aspects of TOS and went in that direction. I went from being hugely excited for their being something outside the same old TV titles, to being rather uninterested. The great bird, the godling, meh...

As I said earlier though, I have no problem in folding the NF cast into the mainstream Treklit. Failing that, just give NF to KRAD to rescue...

6. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Or, like TTN did with Tuvok, salvage them from abandoned/closed series.