The "Let's Make Sense Of Heroes" Thread (Spoilers??)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by All Seeing Eye, May 4, 2009.

1. All Seeing Eye

All Seeing Eye Admiral

In season 1 why did Suresh tell Sylar after checking his DNA that he didn't have any ability when it actually turns out he does have one?

Why did Sylars ability to know how things work give him the ability to take other peoples powers via empathic mimicry? aka what happened with Elle?

Why did Sylar tell Peter he wasn't going to kill him because he didn't have anything he wanted (because Peter had no abilities) and yet he killed elle by cutting her head open when he already had her lightning power?

Why did peter upon gaining Sylars power and hunger start wanting to chop people heads open for their abilities when he didn't need to since he had empathic mimicry?

Why was Peter unable to acquire Sylars ability without Sylar talking him through fixing a watch?

Why did Peter never gain his mothers ability?

Why did Parkman suddenly gain precog painting ability and why did he keep seeing that dead guy?

Has Ando killed people with his supercharger ability? they seemed adamant he killed Hiro in that future scene and yet he's blasted normal people with the ability much more intensely. So has he killed people?

Why has future Peter always had a scar on his face when he's always been shown to still have his mimicry ability and therefore his healing ability from claire?

When Hiro froze time when Daphne stole the formula from him when he got up to her just why on earth was she standing there in a running position pretending to be frozen? why didnt' she just keep on running? how did she even know what had happened and that he was coming to her?

When Knox and Daphne turned up at that pub to enlist Hiro and Knox told him to kill Ando how was he able to freeze time and go get a fake sword and trick Daphne when it was made clear his time freezing ability didn't work with her because she's too fast?

Why was Sylar told he was a Petrelli in the first place? why did Arthur Petrelli go so far as to make up the story that Angela tried to drown him in a bath tub?

Where the hell is that little girl Molly? that was stopping with Parkman and Suresh, the one who could locate others with abilities?

Do you find this funny?

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  2. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I don't remember this. Whose DNA ?

When he took Claire's ability he just examined her brain and a few seconds later he had the same ability. Presumably empathy has the same effect.

Because it's his way of killing people.

Because Sylar's ability carries with it an innate desire to understand how everything works. Peter's version of empathic mimicry doesn't tell him how an ability actually works.

Peter could not take an ability unless it was actively being used.

He did. Angela specifically says that her precognitive dreams, which Peter has been seen to use before, were the first ability he copied.

Presumably some residual effect of the time he spent with Usutu.

No, he hasn't. The blast didn't appear to be nearly strong enough to actually kill anyone, especially someone wearing body armour.

This is unknown. Injuries gained prior to gaining Claire/Adam's ability are sometimes healed, sometimes not. Arthur Petrelli recovered instantly from a condition that had left him unable to even move after taking Adam's ability.

She was possibly hoping that he would think she was frozen and go away, or hoping to get the drop on him. It's not always a good idea to put all of your cards on the table.

He did not just freeze time. Daphne is most certainly not immune to Hiro's previous ability to teleport or time travel.

To get the second most powerful person with abilities in the world on his side.

She is, supposedly, living in India with Mohinder's mother.

3. All Seeing Eye

All Seeing Eye Admiral

Hey those are some pretty good answers. :techman:

4. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^Whose DNA were you asking about in the first question ? Sylar or Mohinder's ?

5. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Papa Suresh? I thought he had anticipated Sylar had powers because of his DNA, but, when he didn't see any, told him he didn't have any.

It was an attempt to make Sylar lame that they backed off of, I guess. There's some kind of connection to empathic mimicry with Sylar anyway, though (according to the writers, it allowed him to keep his telepathy even though he lost all his other powers to the Shanti virus).

He killed Elle for revenge (and because her contract was up for renewal). She's a major reason why he became who he was.

He wanted Nathan for his confidence, etc (personality traits, not powers). The implication was that Sylar can learn more about people than just how to use their powers.

Peter, supposedly, has to understand the person to take their power. Maybe Sylar's power is particularly difficult to take.

He's had dreams on several occasions, long before we knew it was his mother's power. In fact, I had assumed it was Charles' power, not his mother's. So, yeah, he definitely had her power.

I'm guessing that dead guy somehow implanted himself in Parkman's head. I doubt they'll ever really explain this one, since I think they want to drop it.

I don't think he has so far and Hiro could have been wrong about the future. It might have only looked like he killed Hiro.

I think they hinted at it last time he went to the future (he got cut up while the Haitian was in the room). The first time he had the scar it was because he never got his healing ability (Sylar took it first).

plot hole

plot hole

Playing on his parent issues. Angela said he was their son, which got him on her side. Arthur said, although he was their son, Angela tried to kill him, which got him to abandon her and switch to his side.

They sent her away somewhere to be safe. I think it was a throw away line, I can't remember. I hope they bring her back, to be honest.

6. All Seeing Eye

All Seeing Eye Admiral

Sylars DNA.

I think it was Suresh's father actually. He was studying people's DNA and he took samples of Sylars and told him he didn't have an ability. That's when Sylar went out and killed that guy with the Telekinesis ability. He then went back and moved that cup on the table.

If he had the ability to learn how things work then Suresh's father should have found out he had an ability from the DNA samples.

7. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Remember at the time Hiro saw future Ando zap him Hiro didnt know what power Ando had. He only saw Future Ando blast him with a bolt of energy and assumed it was a killing power.

8. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Suresh's means of detecting people with abilities may not have been 100% accurate. Sylar's intuitive aptitude would tell him how Suresh's system worked, too, giving him the means to fool it.

9. All Seeing Eye

All Seeing Eye Admiral

It always seemed straight forward to find out if you had an ability because everyone with an ability has a specific 'genetic marker'. Also Sylar was actually hoping he had an ability and was hoping the results would say he did so I can't see any reason why Sylar would want to have messed with those results.

10. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

iirc, Suresh's dad said he didn't have an ability because he couldn't do anything. It had nothing to do with analyzing DNA samples.

11. melancholymecha

melancholymecha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

how did Nathan come back to life after they shot him in season 2?!!! they need to explain this one- why did he come back then but not in last week's finale?

12. hyzmarca

hyzmarca Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

From Dahpne's perspective, she was running at a brisk pace the whole time. Then she noticed that Hiro was moving faster than her. She was never standing still. From Hiro's frame of reference, the time dilation merely slowed her to the point that she appeared to be. From her frame of reference, it increased Hiro's speed such that he was moving faster than her.

13. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Peter went squirrely after glomming Sylar's power because the "seeing" power makes you insane. Remember how Sylar got suddenly better when the eclipse nerfed his powers? (Forget about S2 and the stuff with Maya and Alejandro, that was just ummm, Sylar thinking he was still insane, when in fact he was perfectly sane. Or something. :rommie:)

Because ummm...Peter picked up Linderman's healing ability and subconsciously used it to heal Nathan when he visited him in the hospital.

And Nathan is dead for good now because the writers are finally ashamed of cheating so much all the time. Plus the other two times they fake-killed Nathan, the ratings didn't go up, so maybe they think we want Nathan dead for real?

14. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

We don't. We want Clare dead for real. We want Mohinder dead for real. Some of us could even deal with Sylar dead for real. Nathan? No.

15. hyzmarca

I want the producers to put Hayden Panettiere though hardcore escrima training until she can reliably disembowel a shotgun-wielding man before he his able to his weapon and then send Claire through a one way time portal to 65 million BC, provide a montage that involves her first being eaten and pooped out of a tyranosaurous, then picking up some survival skills through trial and error, and eventually killing a group of veliraptors with a pair of flint knives, continuing on through the ages, depicting her gutting bad guys in every time period down to the modern day, and then reappearing substantially older and substantially wiser and substantially badass. With knives.

They pretty well fucked up with Claire by keeping her in the damsel role for so long. Season 1 pretty much set her up for a darker form of the classic Heroic journey, in which she would be trained by HRG to be able to survive in dangerous world. Yet, the writers kept backpeddling on that.

16. Dorian Thompson

She might sweat if she did all that, then she wouldn't be cute anymore. Cheerleaders can't sweat. Cheerleaders are there to look pretty.

17. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

She's woefully miscast then.

18. Dorian Thompson

Ouch. Dude. :alienblush: I don't think she's a great actress, but she's not bad looking. Of course the only regulars on the show whom I consider to be anything close to real actors whatsoever are Christine Rose, Jack Coleman, Quinto and Pasdar.

19. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Maybe it's the way they make her dress, but she doesn't look at all pretty in the show. Plus, she's still like 12 years old. (Strictly speaking, however, Claire hasn't actually been a cheerleader since the middle of season two)

With Ali Larter's as yet unnoticed need to eat something as well, us guys have drawn the short straw since they killed Candice off and got rid of Monica.

I agree with you on the acting front, though I'll give Grunny some props as well.

20. hyzmarca

Sweat is pretty, especially when combined with thin cotton shirts.