After Star Trek 3 would you want an immediate reboot?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by xavier, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

I wouldn't be in favour of it at all, how many times do you want too see the same story of Kirk & Spock etc? Look at the new Spider Man films - I had no interest in seeing them as 1: it was too soon after the original trilogy and 2: The original trilogy was just fine thank you and didn't need re-telling. Their box office performances reflect this - the last one only just broke 200 mil in the USA.

If the did the same with Trek I would feel exactly the same. I would like any further material to be based within the Nu Trek universe, even if it's a re-telling of TNG further down the line. Or another TV show based in this universe would be great too.

2. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

3. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not so sure this kind of superfast reboot is anywhere near as omnipresent in hollywood as you seem to think.

There were five years between Spiderman 3 and Amazing Spider man, and that reboot was a business necessity to keep sony from losing the rights to the character. Also five years between Ang Lee's Hulk and the Incredible Hulk (which wasn't made because anyone felt a desperate need to reboot the Hulk, but because the brand new Marvel Studios wanted to establish a wider shared universe using the most famous heroes they still had the rights to). There were seven years between Superman Returns and Man of Steel, and that reboot was necessitated by the fact that DC needed a bigger superhero movie presence to compete with the MCU and had huge difficulty getting anyone other than Batman or Superman off the ground. It was ten years between 'Planet of the Apes' and 'Rise of the Planet of the Apes'. Eight years between batman and Robin and Batman Begins. Eight years between Rise of the Silver Surfer and the upcoming Fantastic Four.

Every other major reboot I can think of off the top of my head (from the last few years) has been of films already decades old (Robocop, Dredd, Mad Max, Red Dawn, etc).

Generally speaking, i'd say this 'modern culture of fast reboots' is completely mythical, especially in terms of putting a date of only 3-5 years on it (even the quickest reboots I know of were all at the highest end of that scale), and in so far as it does apply at all, it mainly applies to comic book movies which are based on a long history of reboots anyway, and constantly mired in a problematic web of who has the rights to what and how can they keep them.

I seriously doubt Paramount will automatically feel the need to reboot the series right away. If the new movie is a bigger hit than expected, they may simply continue it, although their committment at the moment doesn't seem all that solid. If they don't continue this series, they probably won't do anything with Star Trek for a few years. Hopefully, if they then decide to reboot it again they'll go with a solid new tv show rather than movies.

4. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Yes.

But only if they call it The Amazing Star Trek.

5. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll have a system restore to an earlier point. Start again in the time period between TMP & TWOK.

6. xavier

xavier Commander

I remember chris pine saying he would like to do a 4th film. zachary quinto seems like he wants to move on.

7. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    The universe will come to an end without a fourth movie with this lamentable cast and storyline that "goes nowhere mighty fast." (paraphrase from a TOS episode; Scotty fans should remember the line)

[/sarcasm]

8. JHarper

JHarper Commander Red Shirt

Well, if I remember right they all signed on for three movies so after or during the run up for the third is when we'll see if anyone's leaving I guess. But I don't think Quinto's likely to leave, he seems more concerned with not appearing in Heroes again more than anything.

I don't really see anyone leaving really. Maybe Anton Yelchin wanting to do something else with career, but that would be the only thing that comes to mind at this point.

9. xavier

xavier Commander

a part of me wishes to never see Quinto in Heroes again as Sylar even though he is a joy to watch as an actor. he has the acting talent. However, I will argue that Sylar was one of the things that brought down the series. First they kill him, then he is not really dead, his bad,his good, he is a petrelli brother,then he is not, then he is bad again. blah blah blah.

Sylar was a great villain in season 1 but after that the character overstayed his welcome which weakened the overall storyline of the show. So in away I guess Quinto is right for saying he does not want to be in heroes again. that will make complete sense.

When it comes to Star Trek , Quinto use to give this funny interviews on trek as if he is bored with it, maybe he did not just like the direction the sequel went and did not want to be as outspoken like Karl Urban who criticized STID for lacking originality like many fans did including myself.

I will like to see a 4th film of this cast( Pine, Urban and Quinto) than a new reboot of TOS again with different actors.

10. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

So long as they keep the actors age-appropriate to these characters I don't care about the window-dressing.

11. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

*snicker

12. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd prefer a fourth movie launching a second trilogy with these versions of Kirk, Spock and company, or maybe even spin-off movies (The Kirkvorine? Starfleet Academy: First Class with young Pike and Sarek?). But if they do choose another reboot, I only ask that whatever they end up with be as enjoyable as ST'09 and ID were (and I hope ST3 is too!)

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Recasting != Reboot. That is all.

14. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Reboot = retelling an origin story. No need for that, since we already know the characters.

They can change everything, including the ship, and never have to do the origin story again.

So I would just recast as necessary, tell good stories with lots of phasers and fistfights and underpants, and not worry about it.

15. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Or perhaps they could be slightly daring and tell a TOS-era story that did not involve Kirk and crew at all. A Vanguard film, for example?

17. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Why? Might as well make a Deep Space Nine movie.

18. JHarper

I doubt they'll strictly make a spinoff, but I could see a movie one possibly appearing if 3's big enough.

19. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I think CBS is skittish about oversaturating the market with Star Trek. Even if the third movie is a big hit, I don't see them or Paramount rushing to pump out stuff under the Trek banner.

20. JHarper

Yeah, it's not likely for sure but depending on the lay of the land they might look to do a little expanding after 3, test the waters and what have you.