The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PsychoPere, Oct 14, 2011.

1. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

the guy at the cdc said it could happen as fast as 4 minutes (maybe it was 3)

2. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't understand how there's not armies of walkers everywhere. From a 'World War Z' perspective if a big city falls basically there's miles-long oceans of walkers that come out of that. Where'd all the people go? Atlanta has half a million people in it, no?

Particularly if people dying from anything 'turn', there should be walkers everywhere.

3. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

The city proper does. If you include the burbs - we're talking more like 3 milllion +.

But this might be explained away by the bombardment of the city as we saw in an earlier episode this year in a flash-back sequence where Lori and Shane witness the destruction of some parts of the city.

4. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I'm pretty sure someone, in an earlier episode, (I believe the CDC guy), told us there is no consistency in reanimation time, that some people reanimate right away, and some take a long time

5. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

Jenner said it could take anywhere from 3 minutes to 8 hours.

This is the only way a zombie apocalypse could work. There is no way in hell that a plague spread only by biting is going to get very far. Plus you need a patient zero who wasn't bitten.

As explained in the comics there is a certain radius around you where your gunshot is heard by a walker/walkers. If a walker hears it and starts traveling towards it, other walkers nearby will see that walker moving away from their "loitering grounds" and will follow. This just compounds until you have a herd of walkers following a sound that they've all forgotten.

6. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah they kind of lost me there, too. At the beginning they were checking fences, which I assume they do around all the perimiter, and they've walked around the woods a fair amount. Yet in this one spot, within a few minutes' walking distance for Carl, a platoon of walkers has assembled and is shambling around?

I'm glad to be rid of Shane and Jon Bernthal's twitchy, mumbling, avoid-eye-contact acting. It seemed pretty clear to me that Shane, despite his badass front, was primarily motivated by fear, and even though he wouldn't be a good leader couldn't accept being a follower.

Shane and his "killing crew" at the beginning reminded me of Ralph and the hunters in Lord of the Flies.

I agree that Carl needed a stern chewing-out for what he's been doing, but his parents are most at fault for not supervising a kid of that age. Also, where did Rick get off giving away Daryl's pistol?

Justin

7. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

The walkers may have started walking to the farm the night before when Daryl shot Dale, it was near the parimeter, could have been there was a herd nearby. Still Rick and Shane just exited the woods were the walkers were and did not see them? It does seem a bit contrived.

8. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Yeah, that bugged me, too. First Carl takes it, then give it to Shane, who tries to give it back to Carl. He won't take it, so he give it to Rick, who makes Carl take it. They're pretty generous with Daryl's property.

9. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

That's not exactly the concern.

This is. I'm less concerned with how a herd forms than how a herd got so close to the house without any apparent effort. They could have gotten through the fence if they'd stood there pushing on it for a long time, but they wouldn't have done that unless there was something to draw them. The gunshots in question were only a few minutes earlier.

The only conclusion is that there's no fence running through the trees. Which means walkers (or a herd) could have come through at any time. Which means the place never was particularly secure, and Our Heroes were just lucky up to now.

10. DarthTom

Unless I misheard or misunderstood, part of the explanation that Herschel gives for the farms protection is the swamp land that surrounds it and that because of dry weather the Walkers were more likely to get through than heretofore.

11. Silvercrest

Hmm, missed that. Although that's certainly consistent with all the walkers that have gotten stuck there.

12. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Didn't he say it was his favorite piece as well?

13. Silvercrest

No, Shane said that about the one he buried, the one Randall supposedly took. Wonder if they'll find that one.

14. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

So is it me or did Shane take Rick on this long, drawn out trip through the woods only to wind up in a field that was relatively close to the farm?

And then the ever wandering Carl, wandering about at night a day or two after Dale gets his guts ripped out, just shows up?

And then all of a sudden there's a zombie army just over the hill in the woods?

I dunno man, the whole thing was pretty ridiculous to me. Poor writing, poor filming, poor form.

At least Shane is dead I guess, his over the top acting and soap opera BS were getting more and more annoying.

15. DarthTom

Meh, they needed a plot device to get the people off the farm and if you watch Talking Dead comment show that follows the show, many fans have been calling for more zombies and less human drama.

So, I suppose this finale is directed to a climatic conclusion to season 2 with lots of zombies.

16. Disruptor

Disruptor Commodore

By "many fans", you mean this week's has-been hard rock/metal band member guest?

17. DarthTom

Actually the folks calling in. But yes, him too. :)

18. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

I would have though the other human group would have found them and chased them from the farm, that seems more credible then a sudden army of walkers.

19. DarthTom

You're right of course but it's a zombie show with a lot of episodes devoid of zombies and Walking Dead fans seem to be incredibly hard to please.

20. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To be fair, they set up Carl's presence in that scene shortly before by showing him looking out the window with binoculars and seeing the then empty hill where Rick and Shane ended up. It was obvious to me that Carl saw Shane holding his father at gunpoint while he was keeping watch, and went out there with the gun. I was actually expecting the scene to be resolved by Carl shooting Shane, saving his father's life, and echoing what happened in the comics.